Setting question

Massimiliano
Go to solution Solved by treed,

Seeing this screenshot

235676508_Schermata2021-08-01alle12_01_43.thumb.png.5e2bf5bb252dcc34af9930f38e4b8138.png

For sensitive sites (eg Home Banking, Revenue Agency, Social Security), how is it preferable to set the extension between these three possibilities for my privacy?

• Insert these websites into the Allow List in the extension
  • set NO on the content block for these websites
  • Set up REJECT in the specific section of the extension section for these websites

Thanks

• Staff
  • Solution

Note that, although the extension can see those things, no data is shared with Malwarebytes.

That said, I can understand why granting that permission is uncomfortable. So, there are a couple things you can do, short of denying access globally which would affect the extension's ability to protect you.

1) Set it to be allowed for all sites, but then change the setting to Deny for specific websites.

2) Set it to Ask, in which case it will ask you for every website. Safari will then remember your choice for that site.

Option 2 is probably the safest compromise, but also could become irritating.

• Thanks 1

Perhaps the option 2) would be the best but, as you said, it would become frustrating.

I wonder why, if such data is not shared, this warning is displayed

Surely I consider it essential to use option 1) or even better disable blocks on the bank's website from Safari

For some sites it is necessary to disable the block of the Safari content, it is not enough to intervene on extensions (better to avoid, as far as possible, this type of websites - an example that I know personally is https://tecnologia.libero.it which It gives problems with all the Ad-Blockers, in addition to providing not always correct news - in the past even on MWB as I reported to you via PM)

However, there are sites that give problems (including this forum) at least in Monterey beta (but this is probably normal, I assume it is a defect of youth). I talked about it in this post with a couple of examples. Among these there is this forum and https://www.spider-mac.com (an Italian blog on Apple World with Zero Tracker and Zero Banner, unless you have suffered violations not yet known by the its manager (the list It is definitely not complete)

Do you have solutions in this regard (as well as to wait Monterey public version)?

However, I  need to associate 1Blocker to your extension.

For protection against Malware / PUP / Scam, MWB is phenomenal, for Advertising and Cookies, there is still a lot to do (even in the versions of Firefox and presume Chrome - the latter ever tried because I prefer to use as little as possible Big G products )

At least for my experience, there are too many not blocked ads, besides the fact that some sites (at least in Italy) with cookies are deadly and 1blockers allows you to block them (for some more insistent sites - for example https://www.ecodelchisone.it - I requested the 1Blocker support of custom rules, which could probably have been added to the standard, but I cannot be sure, which blocks the requests of the advertising circuits - in the case of that site to disable all the choices, to one by one (it does not have a button rejects everything), including those of legitimate interest - what is legitimate in the tracking / monitoring the users, someone should explain it  to me- it takes 2/3 min every time

@treed  I'm waiting for your clarifications

Thanks

• Staff

First, let me clarify that I'm not the product manager for Browser Guard, so I can only answer as a fellow user (albeit one with some inside knowledge 🙂). Thus, I can't answer all these questions.

However, regarding that warning, that is displayed by Safari for ANY extension that has permission to see the webpage content. It does not matter what the extension actually does with that content... Safari simply wants to let you know that it can access the content.

This is a good thing to be aware of. We say that we're not collecting any of that data, but a less reputable developer could lie about that. Worse, a developer may not be collecting data, but may sell their extension to someone who then secretly starts using it to collect data. (This is a common problem with older Chrome extensions that the owner no longer cares to update.) So, it's reasonable for Safari to show such a warning, even if the developer claims not to be collecting data.

Ultimately, it's an individual decision what you do about that warning. Part of that depends on how much you trust Malwarebytes.

For problems with the functionality, I'd have to refer to @gatortail.

• Thanks 1

@gatortail I ask you this question, on the advice of Thomas.

There are sites that give problems (including this forum) at least in Monterey beta (but this is probably normal, I assume it is a defect of youth). I talked about it in this post with a couple of examples. Among these there is this forum and https://www.spider-mac.com (an Italian blog on Apple World with Zero Tracker and Zero Banner, unless you have suffered violations not yet known by the its manager (the list It is definitely not complete)

Do you have solutions in this regard (as well as to wait Monterey public version)?

However, I  need to associate 1Blocker to your extension

For protection against Malware / PUP / Scam, MWB is phenomenal, for Advertising and Cookies, there is still a lot to do (even in the versions of Firefox and presume Chrome - the latter ever tried because I prefer to use as little as possible Big G products)

A typical example follows:

At least for my experience, there are too many not blocked ads, besides the fact that some sites (at least in Italy) with cookies/tracking are deadly and 1blockers allows you to block them 

example, which I know personally, is the website https://www.ecodelchisone.it - one of our local weekly newspapers, for which I was obliged to request, to the support of 1Blocker, to create custom rules in order to block the requests from advertising circuits - specifically, otherwise, to disable all choices, one by one (it does not have the reject all button), including those of legitimate interest - what is legitimate in tracking / monitoring users, someone should explain it to me - it takes 2/3 minutes each time; can you do something about it? I invite you to check it out, if you have time.

Thanks in advance for your support and the answer you give me

• Staff
On 8/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, MAXBAR1 said:

Seeing this screenshot

235676508_Schermata2021-08-01alle12_01_43.thumb.png.5e2bf5bb252dcc34af9930f38e4b8138.png

For sensitive sites (eg Home Banking, Revenue Agency, Social Security), how is it preferable to set the extension between these three possibilities for my privacy?

• Insert these websites into the Allow List in the extension
  • set NO on the content block for these websites
  • Set up REJECT in the specific section of the extension section for these websites

Thanks

@MAXBAR1 You can insert the websites into the Allow List. 

42 minutes ago, Xauma95 said:

And can i use it alongside adguard for safari or other adblocker? Thanks for the info

At this moment I am using it together with 1blocker without problems (if I use Big Sur) while some problems still gives it, even if used alone, on the Monterey beta