4.4.4. scanner page is frozen

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hello Bethyboo.

Unfortunately, it seems this pc / system is encountering some unusual condition of some sort.  i.e. the odd behavior.

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.    This is a report only.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/dl/65/

Please SAVE the file first.

Reply YES when prompted by Windows to Allow the program to run.

Reply YES when prompted by the tool to proceed.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Devices

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result ( MTB.txt ). A copy will be saved in the same directory the tool is saved.

Cheers.   Thank you.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

p.s.  As an aside, I venture to guess that you 'should' be able to start a scan with Malwarebytes by goung out of the way, and starting it off of the Windows Explorer "context menu".   as described here.

Start Windows Explorer.   Look at the Right-hand side "navigation tree".

Position to the C folder on the left side.  Hover the mouse over C and then do a Right-click and then select "Scan with Malwarebytes".

( you may pick a different folder or sub-folder to scan the same way).

For the Windows About screen, shows that the Windows build version is still from fall of 2019.  It did not (apparently) get updated to a 2020 or later version.
Putting that aside.   ( we can refer you later on, for another help site to get help with Windows Update issue.).
May I get you to make a few changes in Malwarebytes.
Click Malwarebytes Settings icon.
Click the GENERAL tab  ( if it is not showing now as being selected).
On the General tab
Click the radio-box  that says "Manual scans take less priority".

Then scroll down
Click to the RIGHT side the box for Beta Updates.   See if you can get it ticked to the RIGHT.

Scroll back up.  Look for the blue "Check for Updates".  Click it.
Then follow all prompts  and if offered a new update then follow all directions to apply those.
When all completed, close the program.
and then RESTART Windows.

Do not stop on any of these actions.  Just keep going down the list to go thru all of them.

• Solution
Posted (edited)

There is a bit more to suggest.
On the Security tab
Under Scan options, click to the LEFT the line "Scan for rootkits"  so that it is off.  Otherwise with it on, it adds extra run time to each scan.

Scrolling down to the line "Windows Secuiry Center"
Click to the LEFT "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center" so that it is off.  You will still have real-time protections of the program.

scroll down.  On the section "Brute Force Protection"  click that to ON.  That protection is a big plus for overall protection from outside exploits.

Cheers.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Good morning.  I hope you are doing well.  Tell me, did you do all the prior tips ?

I have a new procedure here for the next chance you get.

The Malwarebytes support tool  mb-support-1.8.4.896.exe  is on the Downloads folder.
We will use it to do a special operation on the Malwarebytes program.
Start the tool.  Next, look on the left side & click on "Advanced" button.
Then look on the far right, and look at the pane "Repair system".
Have all the check-boxes ticked.   ( ON )
Then click the button "Repair System".

image.png

Keep me advised.    :D

Good Morning, Maurice.

I have completed everything you posted for me to do, and as of yesterday night, my Mwb looks like it is okay!

I still performed the support tool task (just now) because I figured it wouldn't hurt, and my laptop re-booted and here I am.

I thank you SO VERY MUCH for all of your help! 

When my computer just re-booted, I got that pop-up again stating that Defender had denied access through its firewall to an HP something-or-other and it asked me if I wanted to allow it access anyway, and again I chose not to allow it in.  I guess I will keep doing that, because HP is probably going to continue wanting me to allow it through the firewall...but that is the war...and so it goes.

Anything else you prescribe for moi?

Good afternoon.  I am pleased to read the good news as to the on-screen behavior of Malwarebytes program.  Kudos !

What sort of HP hardware do you have ?  printer ? copier ?

Assuming you hae HP hardware, jusr visit HP Support to see that the hardware has the latest drivers.  Then too, let;s have you run this checkup report.     

Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here  https://tools.safezone.cc/glax24/SecurityCheck/SecurityCheck.exe

and save the tool on the desktop.

• If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then

Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.

This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.

• Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
  • Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.

You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

My Hp is an all-in-one, fax (I do not have the fax hooked up), scan, copy and print.  My laptop problems began with me trying to scan when it wouldn't allow me to...then I went onto HP.com and went through all their garbage for hours, fighting their wanting to put cookies and trackers on my laptop at just about every stroke!  This is when it then affected my Mwb, which was the end of my rope, since I do not run my laptop without my Mwb...period.

Thankfully you and Porthos both helped me!  YAY!

Oh, yeah...the HP model is: OfficeJet Pro 9018 (if it makes any difference)

SecurityCheck.txt mbst-fix-results.txt

To add one last thing.

I just encountered a 4th generation Dell laptop with the same issue. In this case, a BIOS update seems to have corrected it.

Laptop has Intel graphics and did not update driver.

2021-08-06_12h56_22.png

Just personnaly, I have 2 HP machines.  I Trust HP & personally dont fret over cookies from HP.  Just keep in mind you can adjust your web browsers's handling of cookies.  For example, you can block 3rd-party cookies.  It's just the bottom line, that when you have HP hardware, the best place to get latest hardware drivers is from the manufacturer. I would also mention, that cookies cannot pose any potential malware threat since they are just text-type files & thus cannot be a venue for malware.

The SecurityCheck report is quite good.  There are only 3 apps that need updating.
LibreOffice 6.4.7.2 v.6.4.7.2 Warning! Download Update

Zoom v.5.2.0 (42619.0804) Warning! Download Update

VLC media player v.3.0.12 Warning! Download Update

Beyond that, Malwarebytes for Windows is on, as is Microsoft Defender antivirus.  The pair of them will do well for you. Myself and many others do the same.
We can wrap up this case.   The report log from Malwarebytes is good. 
To remove the FRST tool & its work files, do this. Go to your Downloads folder. Do a RIGHT-click on FRSTENGLISH.exe & select RENAME & then change it to UNINSTALL.exe.
Then run that ( double click on it) to begin the cleanup process.

Delete SecurityCheck.exe
Delete mbst-grab-results.zip on Desktop

Delete mb-support-1.8.4.896.exe   on Downloads
Delete mb-support-1.8.4.896(1).exe   on Downloads

Any other download file we had you download, you may delete.    :D

Bethyboo.
Your pc is a Dell.  Best I can tell, this is the current reported BIOS     Dell Inc. A26 06/13/2019
Your Dell systemboard model  Dell Inc. 0CF0TC 
Check Dell supposrt site.  See if it has a later release version  for the BIOS.  https://support.dell.com

You can plug in the pc model  and look for latest drivers.

Thank you for the link, Porthos.  I went through everything with it, then received this:

Driver detection not available

Please try again later or use the link below to find drivers by Service Tag or see a list of drivers available for your product.

I'll try later.

You and Maurice have been absolutely AMAZING!!!!  I could not have wished for better help than what you so patiently gave me.  Bless you both--and the horses you rode in on!!!!

YOU ARE WONDERFUL, and have been a pleasure to work with.

Blessings to you both!

Bethyboo.

Before I close this case, I do want to urge you to get expert assistance on the Microsoft Windows Update situation at SYSNATIVE forum.  They have super experts there on that specific area.  As mentioned, this rig has a out of date Windows 10 build.

Have lots of patience there once you have made your initial post.  They tend to be very busy. The help is free. They are all super expert. You may advise them that I sent you there.  Forum is free to join.

See this section on how to create your help request

I am glad that your initial issue with the Malwarebytes is taken care of.  All my best to you.   :cool:

Edited by Maurice Naggar
  • Like 1

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you

• Like 1