4.4.4. scanner page is frozen

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Since downloading 4.4.4. for Malwarebytes Premium, the main page with the (left to right) Detection History, Scanner and Real Time Protection are all in faint grey-ish color, and I'm unable to access any of those squares.

What to do???

Thank You in advance for help,

~Bethyboo

Just now, Bethyboo said:

What to do???

First, restart the computer and check again.

If the issue still exists,

,Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

Well, it's different now.  I did a scan and everything looked okay--except that the scanner was slowing down to molasses.  Then I set it for a full scan, and now it's doing a full scan, but it's back to looking ghostey, and it doesn't give me a way to quit the scan.  Something's not right...I do full scans every day, and I've never seen it look like this.

Ghost.doc

4 minutes ago, Bethyboo said:

I do full scans every day

Full scans are not recommended or needed.

Malwarebytes is not designed to function like normal AV scanners and uses a new kind of scan engine that relies mostly on heuristics detection techniques rather than traditional threat signatures.  Malwarebytes is also designed to look in all the locations where malware is known to install itself/hide, so a full or custom scan shouldn't be necessary, especially on any sort of frequent basis (like daily), especially since the default Threat Scan/Quick Scan checks all loading points/startup locations, the registry, all running processes and threads in memory, along with all system folders, program folders and data folders as well as any installed browsers, caches and temp locations.  This also means that if a threat were active from a non-standard location, because Malwarebytes checks all threads and processes in memory, it should still be detected.  The only threat it *might* miss would be a dormant/inactive threat that is not actively running/installed on a secondary drive, however if the threat were executed then Malwarebytes should detect it.  Additionally, whenever a new location is discovered to be used by malware the Malwarebytes Research team adds that location dynamically to the outgoing database updates so the locations that are checked by the default Threat/Quick Scan in Malwarebytes can be changed on the fly by Research without requiring any engine or program version updates/upgrades.

Scan Rootkit: ON

Rootkit scanning is also not recommended and is off by default.

I also noticed some false positives in you logs that tells me you had "Use expert system algorithms to identify malicious files" enabled. That feature needs to stay off.

Thank you for that great information, Porthos.  I think I took care of the situation now, after doing a MWB Adw. Cleaner scan.  It found 8 items to quarantine!

I think it's all copacetic.

Thank you for your kind patience and help!

~Bethyboo

4 minutes ago, Bethyboo said:

after doing a MWB Adw. Cleaner scan.  It found 8 items to quarantine!

How about that log please.

Also I also suggest turning off the following setting in MB to reenable Defender for added protection.

image.png.f0f387e2756fb92a72a5c03292169a8d.png

Good Morning!

Yes, I have an HP printer, and the scanner quit working, so I had to spend hours fixing that online, which is why there was/is so much crapware/bloatware/sneakware on my laptop.  I was doing my best to avoid it, but the site seems more set on putting this garbage on my laptop than it does actually helping to fix anything.  Every single move made there attempts to slap that stuff on me, so they finally found a way around it, forcing me to accept stuff I didn't want or need, just to fix my printer.

Anyway, the problem with MWB is back again this morning.  It's ghosted again.  I ran the ADW Cleaner again, but to no avail.

What's next?

Hi Bethyboo.  My name is Maurice.  I will be guiding you going forward.

I am reviewing your reports.  Will get back with you ( on a reply) when done.

I moved your case into the malware-removal sub-forum for one to one guidance.

Hi Bethyboo.   I would like a fresh report.

A report tool named FRSTENGLISH is already present on Downloads folder.

Go to the Downloads folder.

• RIGHT-click with the mouse on FRSTENGLISH  & select "Run as Administrator"  to start it.
  • When prompted to allow it to run, reply YES   and let it go forward.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Now, be sure to TICK the check-box marked "Addition.txt "   ( like in picture here).
  • Press the Scan button.

_frst_scan.jpg

• It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've run it before it may not and you may need to select it manually
  • Please attach both logs to your reply.
  • To save attachments please click the link "choose files". Then browse to where your file is located and select it and click the Open button.

T  I   A

I noticed some trace mentions of AVAST A-V.  We will need later to run the Avast cleanup tool to insure all traces of Avast are gone.

This Windows build is out of date.  I am surprised that at mininum it does not have build 20H1.  The Windows build here is from fall 2019.

Later I can give more tips on that.

I do not see a obvious sign of an infection.  But I do see that there are a few things here that need attention.

Granted I do not yet see what at time there are some greyed-out things on the GUI of Malwarebytes for Windows.   Patience still is called for.

Next action items.

[  A ]

Please  set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones.  Use OPTION ONE or TWO of this article

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7078-turn-off-show-all-folders-windows-10-navigation-pane.html

[  B  ]

What follows is a special custom fix script with specific goals.

We will use FRSTENGLISH.exe  on Downloads folder to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for  Bethyboo  only / for this machine only.

This custom script has some specific things, plus some general aspect to help the system overall.

NOTE-1:  This script will  run a scan using System File Checker to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.  It will also run the Windows DISM tool to check the OS state.  It will rebuild the Winsock. 

It will enable Microsoft Defender, which provides added protections against rogue scripts & file-types not scanned by Malwarebytes.

It will remove a handful of non-existent contextmenu handlers ( apps removed in the past) that can slowdown Windows File Explorer. 

It will help with future update runs from Microsoft Windows Update.

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.

Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the  C drive user Download  folder   

Fixlist.txt

Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Downloads   folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH.exe    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen
and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. 
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Please know this will do a Windows Restart.   Just let it do its thing.    Persistence & patience are called for here.

Cheers.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Good Morning, Maurice!

I've been out of touch because periodically I "hit a wall" and am bedridden for a time.  I am fighting diffuse systemic scleroderma, and I never know when it will hit.

I have tried to get rid of the Avast many times, but haven't been able to.  I don't know how it sneaked on, but it did.  Thank you for helping me with that!

I just finished the SHOW ALL FOLDERS, and now attached the fixlist.txt above, to my downloads file in my c:.

Did I just do that too soon?

I'm not understanding the "FRSTENGLISH.exe  on Downloads folder" posted above.  I don't see any frstenglish.exe in my downloads folder.  I'm doing something wrong...help, please?

Thank you for your patience,

~Bethyboo

Hello Bethboo.

Regret to hear of your personal troubles.  I hope things are better for you today.

Kindly be aware, that FRSTENGLISH is already there by the fact that you ran the support tool before.

The FRSTENGLISH is also on that folder  here   

C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\FRSTEnglish.exe

Good Morning, Maurice.

I'm vertical, so here I am...thank you.

I did a new update in which Mwb needed to be re-started, and it looked like it might have taken hold--but unfortunately, as soon as I ran an update (I noticed again it changed to the update in a herky-jerky way, which is not normal) it went back to being ghosty afterwards.  Scanning Mwb with itself temporarily takes the ghosty stuff away, but it automatically comes back when an update is attempted.

I'm wondering if there was the new update with re-start because others are having the same problem?

Thank you again for all your help and patience, Maurice!

~Bethy

Alright.  Just go careful and deliberate.  Simply start Malwarebytes for Windows.  I need to see just what version & component it shows.

When the program has started. Click settings icon.  Click the ABOUT tab.   What do you see for Version ?