AdwCleaner won't start on windows 10

Go to solution Solved by jboursier,

A different run.  A different approach.  This should be real quick & without  ( I think) any reboot.

First please delete the old file named Fixlist.txt  on Downloads folder.

Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   DOWNLOADS folder

Fixlist.txt

The custom script on this post is ONLY for this machine and NO other.   

• Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

• If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.

• Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the   Downloads folder.
  • RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH.exe   and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run the tool. 
  • If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
  • IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen

and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity.

NEXT, after that has completed, first be sure all web browsers are closed  ( to insure vibility ).

and then give one new try to run Adwclaner.

Good morning.  Please let me know how the last run did + also attach the Fixlog.txt.

It is just a guess on my part that perhaps MS Defender was somehow snagging the adwcleaner.  That has not yet been proven.

The other possibilities were perahps a program conflict.  or else some sort of deficiency in this specific Windows installation.

I want to express appreciation for your continued patience.  I want to let you know that this case has been reported to the Malwarebytes internal team.

• Like 1

• AdvancedSetup changed the title to AdwCleaner won't start on windows 10
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello.

I was recently doing some unrelated research & then ran into an article about "unblock" option.  This type of action could be helpful ( perhaps) here.
See this article at Tenforums  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5357-unblock-file-windows-10-a.html
see OPTION ONE >> Unblock File in Properties
Apply that to your pc's copy of adwcleaner.exe

• Staff

Hello,

@zherot: Can you do the following, and report back the results?

1. Open cmd.exe as administrator

2. Type each line below separated by the key <Enter>. `adwcleaner.exe` is the filename of AdwCleaner, you may need to adjust it accordingly depending on where it is located.

adwcleaner.exe /eula /scan
echo %errorlevel%

3. Let us know (a screenshot is fine) what output is shown.

Best regards,

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
  • Solution

@zherot Thanks for your patience. Can you try this specific build and tell us how it goes?

We think the issue comes from a permission we have been asking to support our process killing step during the cleaning, which we rewrote but left that permission request turned on although we don't need it anymore. As to why your system denies access to that permission, we don't really know :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Zherot.

I am glad to have worked with you.  I am happy to see that Jerome has assisted you & that you had success.

Previously, we ran a bunch of tools to insure that this Windows was not infected. We can proceed with cleanup of tools we used.

To remove the FRST tool & its work files, do this. Go to your Downloads folder. Do a RIGHT-click on FRSTENGLISH.exe & select RENAME & then change it to

UNINSTALL.exe

Then run that ( double click on it) to begin the cleanup process.

Delete FSS.exe
Delete JRT.exe
Delete esetonlinescanner.exe
Delete securitycheck.exe
Delete Avastclear
Delete minitoolbox.exe 
Delete mb-support-1.8.4.896.exe
Delete mbst-grab-results.zip on the Desktop.

The Adwcleaner that Jerome provided you, obviously, you should retain.

Any other download file I had you download, you may delete. I wish you all the best. Stay safe.

Sincerely.

Maurice

Edited by Maurice Naggar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1