Jump to content

AdwCleaner won't start on windows 10


Go to solution Solved by jboursier,

Recommended Posts

Need a bunch of detail about Adwcleaner, how you got it  ( which web browser) , exactly where you saved it  ( I need the full path & file-name as it is on disk).

It may be a quirky behavior IF you ran Adwcleaner straight from the download-dialog of the web browser.   Did you do that ?

This pc is showing very exteremly quirky behavior.  That is why I press for all exact details.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the theroy that Opera is somehow a factor, do the following test.

Close Opera.

Only use the EDGE browser to do a new download of Adwcleaer.  Save the file.

Now close EDGE.  Close any other open app-window  so that you have a clear view all around the desktop.

Press the Windows-flag-key on keyboard & hold it & then tap R key  so that you get the RUN box option.

In the RUN box, COPY then PASTE the following command

C:\Users\Fenrir\Desktop\adwcleaner_8.3.0.exe

then press Enter-key to proceed.

Hoping that will help.  IF there is still a glitch, please take a screen grab of the foreground window.   Use ALT+Printscreen buttons

Edited by Maurice Naggar
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is some oddity on this system, as I have noted all along. What follows is a sort of test.  A potential reasonable test.

Repeat the process to start Adwcleaner just like before.  Then when you get the Command-prompt window keep it.

Then type in or COPY >>Paste

adwcleaner_8.3.0.exe /eula

tap Enter key to proceed.

This is to accept the end-user-license.

Next, type in or COPY >> Paste

adwcleaner /scan

tap Enter to apply.   The expectation is that would start a scan with Adwcleaner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that.  But allow me to make a few remarks.  Some I think I may have made before.

Because we had already done some other scans, I am of the view that there is not a infection on this machine.  Just some sort of odd, quirk.

I do not expect either that there is much adware on this machine.

I can make one other suggestion / and let's keep in mind, that this version of Adwcleaner should be able to be invoked from a Command prompt.

It is something that was recently added into Adwcleaner.   ( Granted that starting Adwcleaner the standard Windows GUI way ought not to jump into a command-window).

Here is what I would like you to test.

On the Windows taskbar ,  on the Windows search box,  type in

cmd.exe

and then look at the entire list of choices, and click on Run as Administrator.  

Once the Command prompt window is up,  type in   ( or COPY  & then PASTE )

CD \

 

  • then press Enter.
  •  type in   ( or COPY  & then PASTE )
cd Users\Fenrir\Desktop

 

  • then press Enter.
  •  type in   ( or COPY  & then PASTE )
adwcleaner_8.3.0.exe /eula
  • press Enter-key
  • COPY >> Paste
    adwcleaner_8.3.0.exe /scan

 

tap Enter-key to proceed.

Edited by Maurice Naggar
Link to post
Share on other sites

YAY !  Those are indicators that Adwcleander did run.  Now let's go looking for and get the log file for the scan.

Use File Explorer.  Go to the sub-folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs

In there look for one with the most recent Date and time.    A "scan" log will have the prefix S

Kindly locate that & attach a copy with your reply.

Edited by Maurice Naggar
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

YAY !  Those are indicators that Adwcleander did run.  Now let's go looking for and get the log file for the scan.

Use File Explorer.  Go to the sub-folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs

In there look for one with the most recent Date and time.    A "scan" log will have the prefix S

Kindly locate that & attach a copy with your reply.

It didn't create any logs the folder is empty.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regret the latest news. It -does- seem that at least for a little few seconds that the Adwcleaner did run.  If nothing else, it displayed a message line on-screen.
It looks perhaps that this Windows has the User Account Control protection feature off.  Having it on is the standard.  The User Access Control settings help prevent potentially harmful programs and software from making changes to your device.
I would suggest that you "ENABLE"  ( turn ON ).  Here is how.
Go to Start and open Control Panel.
Select System and Security.
Under Security and Maintenance, select Change User Account Control settings.
Move the slider to this:

Notify me when apps try to make changes to my computer

Select  OK to save your changes.
Select Yes when prompted to confirm the changes.

Thereafter, when you start some apps or programs, you may be prompted to give your approval to proceed.
As I noted, this Windows security feature is protective.  I would like to see it on at least for the remainder of this case.
.
I plan to ask you to provide a fresh set of reports.  Then I will likely, hopefully get some internal help to review your case.

Here is one report request:

Earlier in the case I had you download the Malwarebytes Support tool    mb-support-1.8.4.896.exe

Please find where you saved it.   I would like you to use it now to just get a fresh report.

If you do not still have it, you may do a new download from this link

 

Right click on mb-support-1.8.4.896.exe  and select Run As Administrator & reply YES to allow to proceed.

Once you start it click Advanced > Gather Logs

 

Upload an archive once it is done. Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop.

  • Please attach  mbst-grab-results.zip    to your reply.    Thank you.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for that.  On this next part, you will need to have a USB-flash-thumb drive.

iO3R662.png     Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) - Recovery Environment Scan
Follow the instructions below to download and execute a scan on your system with FRST from the Recovery Environment, and provide the logs in your next reply.

Item(s) required:

  • USB Flash Drive (size depends on if you have to create a USB Recovery or Installation media)

Preparing the USB Flash Drive

  • Download theFRST64.exe:
  • Move the executable (FRST64.exe) onto your USB Flash Drive

Boot into the Recovery Environment

  • To enter the Recovery Environment with Windows 10, follow the instructions in this tutorial on TenForums
    Note: If you can't access the Recovery Environment using the method above, you'll need to create a Windows installation or repair media. It can be made on the computer itself or another one running the same version of Windows as the one you plan to use it on. For more information, check out this tutorial on TenForums.
  • Once in the Windows RE, press & hold the SHIFT-key on keyboard & then insert the USB Flash Drive into the USB drive slot of computer

Once in the command prompt

  • In the command prompt, type notepad and press on Enter
  • Notepad will open. Click on the File menu and select Open
  • Click on Computer/This PC, find the letter for your USB Flash Drive, then close the window and Notepad
  • In the command prompt, type e:\frst64.exe and press on Enter
  • Note: Replace the letter e with the drive letter of your USB Flash Drive
  • FRST64 will open
  • Click on Yes to accept the disclaimer
  • Click on the Scan button and wait for the scan to complete
  • A log called FRST.txt will be saved on your USB Flash Drive. Attach it in your next reply
Edited by Maurice Naggar
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Thank you for that.  On this next part, you will need to have a USB-flash-thumb drive.

iO3R662.png     Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) - Recovery Environment Scan
Follow the instructions below to download and execute a scan on your system with FRST from the Recovery Environment, and provide the logs in your next reply.

Item(s) required:

  • USB Flash Drive (size depends on if you have to create a USB Recovery or Installation media)

Preparing the USB Flash Drive

  • Download theFRST64.exe:
  • Move the executable (FRST64.exe) onto your USB Flash Drive

Boot into the Recovery Environment

  • To enter the Recovery Environment with Windows 10, follow the instructions in this tutorial on TenForums
    Note: If you can't access the Recovery Environment using the method above, you'll need to create a Windows installation or repair media. It can be made on the computer itself or another one running the same version of Windows as the one you plan to use it on. For more information, check out this tutorial on TenForums.
  • Once in the Windows RE, press & hold the SHIFT-key on keyboard & then insert the USB Flash Drive into the USB drive slot of computer

Once in the command prompt

  • In the command prompt, type notepad and press on Enter
  • Notepad will open. Click on the File menu and select Open
  • Click on Computer/This PC, find the letter for your USB Flash Drive, then close the window and Notepad
  • In the command prompt, type e:\frst64.exe and press on Enter
  • Note: Replace the letter e with the drive letter of your USB Flash Drive
  • FRST64 will open
  • Click on Yes to accept the disclaimer
  • Click on the Scan button and wait for the scan to complete
  • A log called FRST.txt will be saved on your USB Flash Drive. Attach it in your next reply

 I don't understand, what option should I pick from the menu when I use shift+restart? there are many options there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Sorry for any mis-understanding.  I did not mean at all "shift" - restart.   I only asked to press down the SHIFT key when inserting the USB  once after you got onto Recovery>

I understand that but I meant that you need to press shift+restart to get into the Recovery environment options (it is one of the ways to get into that menu, pressing shift while you clik restart).

My issue is that once in that blue background menu what option should I pick?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the new FRST reports.

(  A  )   Sadly, these continue to be noted exceptions like these.   They have continued to be so all along.

Error al acceder al proceso -> csrss.exe
Error al acceder al proceso -> csrss.exe
Error al acceder al proceso -> dwm.exe
Error al acceder al proceso -> fontdrvhost.exe
Error al acceder al proceso -> fontdrvhost.exe

 

( B )  there are also 2 programs I am not familiar with.   What do you know about these ?  and can we consider to have them NOT auto-started ?

Some process with the name "mutectl"  from IBIK  with the program name   C:\Program Files\ASTER\mutectl.exe

Some process named "Netlimiter" by Locktime Software    /   C:\Program Files\Locktime Software\NetLimiter 4

What do you know about those ?

( C   )  I also would like to see CCleaner Smart Cleaning  be removed from auto-start / auto-run

Ever since this program was sold to another party, many colleagues in security are no longer recommending its use.

Anyhow, suppressing that too will help to minimize potential conflict.   Reducing potential conflict is one big goal here.

( D )

Is this part of a game ?

[Launch LCore] => C:\Program Files\Logitech Gaming Software\LCore.exe

If related to Logitech G15 Game Keyboard then that is OK as long as machine actually has the hardware.

Edited by Maurice Naggar
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello.  I have a new Fix script below.  Hopefully it will be the last one.

Please be sure you have removed the USB that I had you use.  Also be sure that Windows is back in normal Windows mode.

This custom script will remove from auto-starting the Locktime software Netlimiter  ( which is my current suspect for the one doing interference) and "mutctl"  & CCleaner.  It will also check the file adwcleaner to see if it has extra zone identifier attributes & if there, will remove those extra attributes.

It will also adjust Microsoft Defender so that the "block at first sight" aspect is de-activated.

These are my best gueses currently as to what may be leading to the very extremly odd response from Adwcleaner GUI.

This run should not take a whole lot of time.  Again, we want Windows back in normal mode first.

.

First please delete the old file named Fixlist.txt  on Downloads folder.

 

Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   DOWNLOADS folder

Fixlist.txt

 

The custom script on this post is ONLY for this machine and NO other.   

  • Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

 

  • If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.

 

  • Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the   Downloads folder.
  • RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH.exe   and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run the tool. 
  • If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
  • IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

 

  • IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen

and click button Run anyway on next screen.

 

  • on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

 

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

 

When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

 

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity.

Edited by Maurice Naggar
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Thank you for the new FRST reports.

(  A  )   Sadly, these continue to be noted exceptions like these.   They have continued to be so all along.

Error al acceder al proceso -> csrss.exe
Error al acceder al proceso -> csrss.exe
Error al acceder al proceso -> dwm.exe
Error al acceder al proceso -> fontdrvhost.exe
Error al acceder al proceso -> fontdrvhost.exe

 

( B )  there are also 2 programs I am not familiar with.   What do you know about these ?  and can we consider to have them NOT auto-started ?

Some process with the name "mutectl"  from IBIK  with the program name   C:\Program Files\ASTER\mutectl.exe

Some process named "Netlimiter" by Locktime Software    /   C:\Program Files\Locktime Software\NetLimiter 4

What do you know about those ?

( C   )  I also would like to see CCleaner Smart Cleaning  be removed from auto-start / auto-run

Ever since this program was sold to another party, many colleagues in security are no longer recommending its use.

Anyhow, suppressing that too will help to minimize potential conflict.   Reducing potential conflict is one big goal here.

( D )

Is this part of a game ?

[Launch LCore] => C:\Program Files\Logitech Gaming Software\LCore.exe

If related to Logitech G15 Game Keyboard then that is OK as long as machine actually has the hardware.

-Aster is a program that allows you to make your PC two PC's, I use that when I wanted to play games that are not "splitscreen/couch coop" with my GF, for example we played World of Warcraft on the same pc with 2 monitors, 2 keyboards, two mouse etc.

-Netlimiter is a program that allows you to limit how much bandwith you can give to anything on your pc, I have used this to limit spotify because spotify eats bandwith like crazy, I don't have spotify installed I use it through my browsers but anyway it still eats too much bandwith and I can't allow that.

-Logitech gaming software is a program that allows to configure many stuff on my mouse like the buttons, the led colors etc.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maurice Naggar said:

That notice from MS Defender is a bad foul.

I suggest that you restart Windows into SAFE Mode.   Then re-run the FIX  task ( run) with FRSTENGLISH.

Perhaps this time it will succeed.

I did that and the same thing happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • AdvancedSetup changed the title to AdwCleaner won't start on windows 10
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.