AdwCleaner won't start on windows 10

Go to solution Solved by jboursier,

These are just some opening type first steps.  First adjustments.

Please  set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones.  Use OPTION ONE or TWO of this article

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7078-turn-off-show-all-folders-windows-10-navigation-pane.html

[    2    ]

Be sure you are logged in with an administrator-rights account :excl:

Visual check on services using MSCONFIG

From Start button, (or Win-key +R) and in the searcht-box type in MSCONFIG and press OK or Enter.

You should see the General tab. Click the General tab. It should have Normal startup selected (in the radio-box=selection)

IF it does not, then you click on Normal startup.

Click on Services tab. To get it's display of services.

Keep a written list of any changes from my list of services below. That way you and I have a reference document.

Look at the bottom line Hide all Microsoft services

IF and only IF its is checkmarked, then un-check it.    ( We need to SHOW all Microsoft services.)

the list of servies may be shown in non-alphabetical order, so ....

Look at the heading titled "Service". Click on it as needed so the list is sorted and top of list starts with the "A" services.

You can toggle as needed to get the desired order.

IF any of below services are NOT shown, don't panic & do not stop, just write down the info for me and proceed with the others !

Then using the scroll-bar scroll down the list

Look for SecurityHealth .  IF it shows & IF it is un-ticked   ....then TICK the box.   ( We want that to have a check-mark  so that it is enabled).

When done, press the Apply button.   Click OK button.  EXIT out of the applet.

[     3    ]

On the Windows taskbar ,  on the Windows search box,  type in

cmd.exe

and then look at the entire list of choices, and click on Run as Administrator.  

Once the Command prompt window is up,  type in   ( or COPY  & then PASTE )

WMIC SERVICE WHERE Name="winmgmt" set startmode="auto"

tap Enter key to proceed forward.

Then COPY this whole next line & then Paste into the command window

net start winmgmt

tap Enter key to proceed forward.

Let me know the results of all this.   Then you may close the command prompt window.

I uninstalled Avast yesterday just using the add or remove programs from windows 10

Couldn't find the "SecurityHealth" service maybe it's there but since my pc is in spanish most services are shown in spanish and while it should be easy to find if it where a 1 on 1 translation but most of the time the translations are not 1-1 and are kinda "renamed" but what can I tell you is that ll Microsoft services were checked.

The CMD commands the first one said "Properties correctly updated" and the second one said "System error 5" Access denied.

What follows is a  custom script .  This may take a long time.  Hopefully it will be much less than an hour.

The script Fixlist.txt  needs to be saved to the same folder that contains FRSTENGLISH.exe   /  it is on Downloads

Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   DOWNLOADS folder

Fixlist.txt

The custom script on this post is ONLY for this machine and NO other.   

• Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

• If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.

The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

• Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the   Downloads folder.
  • RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH.exe   and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run the tool. 
  • If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
  • IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen

and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. 

If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.

The tool will complete its run after restart.

When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity.

Keep in mind this is not a single shot cure-all.   There will be more to do later.

33 minutes ago, zherot said:

I deleted the FRSTENGLISH.exe  and all of the Farbar logs and exe because i thought I would not use them anymore.

Well I discovered that it downloaded with the malwarebytes supporttool so i am using that again to get it again and after that i will run the script as you said.

If you run into a hitch, as we go along, stop and ask me first.  We may wind up needing to re-use FRSTENGLISH at a later point.  So please do not delete it.  Plus, I will guide you on tools cleanup when we get to close the case  ( at the end).

Thanks for the Fixlog.

The Windows System File Checker reports, "Windows Resource Protection found damaged files and repaired them correctly.".

Overall, the custom script run is a good thing to have done.

Now, as a matter of fact, we do need to get a fresh report.   And we will need to use FRSTENGLISH  to get that.

Go to the Downloads folder.

• RIGHT-click with the mouse on FRSTENGLISH  & select "Run as Administrator"  to start it.
  • When prompted to allow it to run, reply YES   and let it go forward.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Now, be sure to TICK the check-box marked "Addition.txt "   ( like in picture here).
  • Press the Scan button.

_frst_scan.jpg

• It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've run it before it may not and you may need to select it manually
  • Please attach both logs to your reply.
  • To save attachments please click the link "choose files". Then browse to where your file is located and select it and click the Open button.

Edited by Maurice Naggar
  • Like 1

Thank you for the FRST reports.

NEXT

This should only take something less than 15 minutes.

Now a fresh new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

In Malwarebytes for Windows program, we want to do a special scan.
 Click Settings ( gear icon) at the top right of Malwarebytes window. We want to see the SETTINGS window.  Then click the Security tab.  Scroll down and lets be sure the line in SCAN OPTIONs for 

"Scan for rootkits" is ON 👈   Click it to get it ON if it does not show a blue-color . Next, click the small x on the Settings line to go to the main Malwarebytes Window.   Next click the blue button marked Scan.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

>>>>>>      👉      You can actually click the topmost left  check-box  on the very top line to get ALL lines  ticked   ( all selected).         <<<<     💢

MB4_scan_tick_ALL.jpg.d04ef98c885b4f44f51bfe735922fba7.jpg

Please double verify you have that TOP  check-box tick marked.   and that then, all lines have a tick-mark

Then click on Quarantine  button.

MB4_scan_all_Quarantine.jpg.8639e1dfc2301bc6d60a8cfb3c339241.jpg

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.
See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

• Like 1

Thank you for that.  The Malwarebytes for Windows on this machine is  Versión: 4.3.0.98  / Versión de los componentes: 1.0.1358

I want to guide you to doing 2 update runs so that this pc has the latest version, and on the latest Beta version.

Start Malwarebytes for Windows. Click on the Settings ( gear icon)

Now click on the tab "General". 

Then scroll up a bit. and then click on "Check for Updates " button.

Watch & follow all prompts.

That ought to do a check with the update server, and hopefully offer the newest component update.

1. Click Settings.
  2. In the General tab, scroll down to the Beta updates toggle.
  3. Click the Beta updates toggle.
  4. In the pop-up window, click Enable Beta Application Updates.
  5. scroll up a bit. and then click on "Check for Updates " button.   This is a second run to get that Beta.

Watch & follow all prompts.   Hopefully this will get the program to Beta version 4.4.4.126  and component package 1.0.1404

6. Keep me advised on that.   Close Malwarebytes when done.  This version has added protections.

On this next program download, first take precaution to close other apps that are open ( with open windows) so as to reduce chances to lose a place between screens.

Be sure to SAVE the download to a known permanent folder, maybe even a new one just for Adwcleaner.

Watch that the download is fully completed.   Then close the web browser.

Download Adwcleaner like in this guide    https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520054-Download-and-install-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner

Close the browser.  and only after that, go to the folder.  Then start Adwcleaner.

advise me of the folder-name where you saved the EXE file.

I updated my Malwarebytes to the version you mentioned now.

About the folder for addwarecleaner, this folder can be anywhere on the pc or it has to be in an specific place? I tried on the desktop, closed everything after download and tried to run it on the new folder after i closed the browser and it still didn't run.

Please get for me, the full PATH location of where the Adwcleaner is at preset, as well as its file-name on disk.

Also, did you write down the exact message that is shown when it fails to start ?  what do you see ?

The file can be saved anywhere as long as it is a regular user folder.  You can have it in a special-named folder of your own.

What I was alluding to is the one place we do not want it to be is any "temporary" folder.

Again, what did Windows show as the "error text"?

If you could follow this special procedure, it would help for the long run.

For Adwcleaner we would like for you to turn On it's Debug log option. 
See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520134-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner-Application-settings

In Adwcleaner, in Settings section, at "Mode" , turn ON the generate debug log. Then do a new scan in Adwcleaner.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

2 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Please get for me, the full PATH location of where the Adwcleaner is at preset, as well as its file-name on disk.

Also, did you write down the exact message that is shown when it fails to start ?  what do you see ?

The file can be saved anywhere as long as it is a regular user folder.  You can have it in a special-named folder of your own.

What I was alluding to is the one place we do not want it to be is any "temporary" folder.

Again, what did Windows show as the "error text"?

If you could follow this special procedure, it would help for the long run.

For Adwcleaner we would like for you to turn On it's Debug log option. 
See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520134-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner-Application-settings

In Adwcleaner, in Settings section, at "Mode" , turn ON the generate debug log. Then do a new scan in Adwcleaner.

The issue is that Addwarecleaner doesn't even start at all, I double click on it and a brief MSDOS window appears with no message and nothing happens.

I will upload an image, I will clickly capture the msdos window that appears for a second and then it disappears and nothing happens.

My Adwarecleaner was sitting on my desktop I tried moving it to the Adwarecleaner folder on C: but does the same thing.

1.png

Hi.  Thank you for the info.

Alas, since attempting to run Adwcleaner keeps running into a issue or another ... I would suggest a one time use of JRT  (junkware removal tool).

Download ans save JRT from this link at Bleepingcomputer

Disregard any ads & such.  Save the file to either the Downloads folder or the Desktop.  Save first. Then close browser.

Go to where JRT is saved.  Run one time JRT.exe

Post back with its log.  Later one, we may try other steps.

Thank you.  That is a good run of JRT.  Put it aside.  You can actually delete JRT.exe.   We dont need it now.

Question about Google Chrome browser>  Was it removed in the recent past ?

Kindly look in Windows Control Panel >>> Programs and Features.

Does it show Chrome browser ?

The FRST had shown some references to Chrome.  This may perhaps be one factor that gets Adwcleaner off track.

IF this no longer has a Chrome browser in place, then we need to do yet another script fix.

• Like 1

I would like to run a new script.

First please delete the old file named Fixlist.txt  on Downloads folder.

The  new  script Fixlist.txt  needs to be saved to the same folder that contains FRSTENGLISH.exe   /  it is on Downloads

This one is to do a few specific actions.  The main one to remove leftover traces of Chrome.

It will also do a new run of the Windows System File Checker ( SFC )  and the Windows DISM tool.

Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   DOWNLOADS folder

Fixlist.txt

The custom script on this post is ONLY for this machine and NO other.   

• Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

• If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.

The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

• Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the   Downloads folder.
  • RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH.exe   and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run the tool. 
  • If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
  • IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen

and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. 

If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.

The tool will complete its run after restart.

When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity.

Keep in mind this is not a single shot cure-all. 

• Like 1

Good morning. Thank you for the report.  I hope your weekend is going well.

The run is good.  Some last traces of Chrome are removed. The Windows System File Checker ( SFC ) found no issue.

What follows is more like security housekeeping.  First, know that Adobe Flash Player is obsolete & no longer supported by Adobe.

I need for you to uninstall Adobe Flash Player 32 NPAPI

1. Press & hold  the Windows key on keyboard & then tap the R key   to open the Run box-windoww.
2. Type 

appwiz.cpl 

and tap Enter.
The Programs and Features window will appear.

Locate "Adobe Flash Player 32 NPAPI" on the list.   Click the line once with your mouse pointer.

Now do a RIGHT-click on it  and then select Uninstall.    and follow thru to have it uninstalled.

When done, close the window for Programs and Features.

NEXT

would urge getting a readout report as to update status of some key apps.

Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here  https://tools.safezone.cc/glax24/SecurityCheck/SecurityCheck.exe

and save the tool on the desktop.

• If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then

Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.

This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.

• Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
  • Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.

You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt