Malwarebytes Native Message Service using up all RAM

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

42 minutes ago, Ashenal said:

Does anyone know why this is happening?

:welcome:

I'm sorry the software isn't working properly but we'll do our best to help.

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

Hello - just as an FYI, I had the same issue (Native Message Service taking up tons of memory) earlier this morning (crashed my system 3 different times) - I disabled the browser extension in all 3 of my browsers .. Chrome, Edge and Firefox ... and the problem went away.  On all 3 crashes I had Chrome and Edge sessions open.

3 minutes ago, jdoe said:

Hello - just as an FYI, I had the same issue (Native Message Service taking up tons of memory) earlier this morning (crashed my system 3 different times) - I disabled the browser extension in all 3 of my browsers .. Chrome, Edge and Firefox ... and the problem went away.  On all 3 crashes I had Chrome and Edge sessions open.

The beta should fix that issue. Please follow all of my instructions.

7 minutes ago, dipworld said:

finally had to give up and uninstall until Malwarebytes fixes the problem.  I believe I was running Beta.

We do not have any thing to assist you with now. We needed it to be installed and verified by us.

We want to let you know once more we recently released a new Beta of your product, version 4.4.4.126 component package 1.0.1404

If you are running a previous version of Malwarebytes with the Beta Updates Setting turned on it means you have signed up for our Beta Updates Program and you will get the Malwarebytes 4.4 Beta as an update. As usual, if you don't want to wait for the 'Update Available' notification, go right ahead and retrieve the update manually by clicking "Check for updates" in Settings > General.

What’s New in this 4.4.4 Beta:

• Brute Force Protection (for RDP) Continued
  • Added Naming for Teams UI branding in the Check for Updates Dialog
  • Tamper Protection 
  • Users are now allowed to suppress Scan Notifications when no threats are found
  • Enhanced detection and remediation     
  • Improved performance

Some Issues now addressed:

• Fixed: Fix problem with showing the reboot dialog when CU stuck in some situations.
  • Fixed: Web exclusions get cleared when turning off Web Protection
  • Fixed: Italian language 'Scan time' formatting issue in UI
  • Fixed: Checking for updates doesn't inform user of network error when unable to reach license server
  • Fixed: Permanent exclusion can be added as "IP address" or "Website" exclusion when navigating to blocked IP
  • Fixed: Browser Guard - MB4 interaction doesn't work after MB4 restart (need to restart Chrome also)
  • Fixed: Reopening of Chrome leads to high memory consumption of Native Messaging Host App
  • Fixed: Allow List: Add an item window and Allow a file/website/app/previously detected exploit window are not aligned when German language selected
  • Fixed: Spelling issue Swedish
  • Fixed: mbamtray 'Access violation' crash under certain circumstances
  • Fixed: Tooltip content gets cut if opened on the edge of the window
  • Fixed: Several minor UI issues

Thank you so much.

I just had the same experience. I rebooted and RAM usage seems normal. If this happens again, I will try to gather logs. Not sure if doing so without the problem existing would help anything.

I am not running any other antivirus programs other than Windows Defender. I had Chrome and Edge open at the time.

Edited by Phxflyer

The problem was actually much worse this morning in Edge than Chrome.  And after reinstalling, turning on Beta, and checking for updates it constantly said I had the latest....and still had the issue.  At least I know I wasn't the only one who suddenly suffered this first thing this morning.

15 minutes ago, dipworld said:

The problem was actually much worse this morning in Edge than Chrome.  And after reinstalling, turning on Beta, and checking for updates it constantly said I had the latest....and still had the issue.  At least I know I wasn't the only one who suddenly suffered this first thing this morning.

Please post a screenshot of your about screen.

2021-07-27_12h15_01.png

i reinstalled, finally was able to complete a scan (with all browsers closed), rebooted three times, and now it is accepting the push request to 4.4.4.  I'll see what the version is after it installs again.

I have the same issue. "Malwarebytes Native Message Service" high CPU use, VERY high memory use, and high power use. I am not sure that I am comfortable acting as a beta tester. the warning is scary. it seems from comments here that it doesn't help anyway.

I am version 4.3.4.125 and it says that's the latest.

I've been completely locked up but able to sign out and back in, and got some response back. 

I've also had a BSOD for the first time in several years. not sure if that's related.

I've been able to run scans and to check for updates, when not locked up or staring at a BSOD.

MalwareBytes, please fix this ASAP.

5 minutes ago, Jimmie said:

I've also had a BSOD for the first time in several years. not sure if that's related.

I've been able to run scans and to check for updates, when not locked up or staring at a BSOD.

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Thanks

man, that was painful! it took ages to install the tool, but eventually it installed. by then cpu use by the task had dropped off, memory use by the task was still high, but memory in use on the CPU wasn't so high. also by then no chrome windows were open, only the new edge.

anyway I ran the tool, which also took a long time, but just when it seemed to be creating the zip file, I got a blue screen (not a BSOD, just a non responsive blue screen). 

from what I saw before the blue screen, memory use by the task had dropped off too.

the computer eventually responded to ctl-alt-del, and I had a 'failed to allocate memory' message, and when I dismissed that, I was only able to sign out of windows and did that.  signed back in, and the zip file was there.

thanks for any help you can provide. please prod the folks responsible to push out the 4.4.4 update to us regular folks.

mbst-grab-results.zip

15 hours ago, Jimmie said:

thanks for any help you can provide.

Seems like you have some Bit Defender leftovers.Bit Defender has known issues with Malwarebytes that cause blue screens.. Please run their uninstall tool. https://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

As for the Beta, It is safe.The final will come out after enough users have installed the beta and enough telemeter is gathered.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Porthos said:

Seems like you have some Bit Defender leftovers.Bit Defender has known issues with Malwarebytes that cause blue screens.. Please run their uninstall tool. https://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

As for the Beta, It is safe.The final will come out after enough users have installed the beta and enough telemeter is gathered.

I tried to reply to this quite some time ago, but the ether swallowed my response, I think.  lesson learned. keep a copy of your post.

in my reply I first thanked you, and I want to do that again: thanks for your time and effort on my behalf, and on behalf of the community!

I earlier thought that the 4.4.4 beta release was not working, as I still had severe memory issues after the upgrade and after a reboot. But as I write this now it seems so much better! I wish I knew why the delay. and I hope the fix is permanent.

as far as the Bitdefender bits issue goes, I am at a loss to understand that. I have no clue what version I may have had previously on this computer. In fact I don't recall ever installing it here. I ran it maybe a decade or more ago on a different computer.

so I don't know what uninstaller to run.  Do you have any insight from my zip file data?  I couldn't even open the zip file earlier because of memory issues. Now I don't know what to look for.

I tried starting on the unpaid versions uninstallers, and started with the oldest first.  I might keep going until I get to the newer ones. they don't give me any indication if the product was even installed, but claim to have finished.  being rather paranoid, I am afraid that these uninstallers are putting old windows files into my system.

thanks again.

7 minutes ago, Jimmie said:

I tried starting on the unpaid versions uninstallers, and started with the oldest first.  I might keep going until I get to the newer ones. they don't give me any indication if the product was even installed, but claim to have finished. 

Get me a new set of logs and I will see if the trace is gone.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Get me a new set of logs and I will see if the trace is gone.

thanks so much for the offer.  I'll work on that.

right now I see MbamBgNativeMsg.exe using about 25% of my CPU, and almost 11,000 MB or memory.  I ran the Bitdefender_2017_UninstallTool.exe and rebooted since my last post.

I might try another reboot.

21 minutes ago, Jimmie said:

thanks so much for the offer.  I'll work on that.

right now I see MbamBgNativeMsg.exe using about 25% of my CPU, and almost 11,000 MB or memory.  I ran the Bitdefender_2017_UninstallTool.exe and rebooted since my last post.

I might try another reboot.

OK, I rebooted and noticed the Malwarebytes Native Message Service under MS  edge was using a lot of CPU and memory use was climbing.

I removed and reinstalled the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extensions on both chrome and the new edge. once again things look good.  fingers crossed. 

I'll work on the Bitdefender stuff after a good night's sleep. the wife says going to bed at 4 AM is not good. I'll try to make it before 2 tonight.

Hello again .. as I mentioned on Tuesday, the issue (system crashing) has not occurred since I disabled the browser extensions. For my own situational awareness, I'm not understanding how upgrading the core software to 4.4.4 (which I have not done) resolves the issue - isn't the browser extension a "separate" piece of software? Also, since I did not have the issue prior to Tuesday, was there an update to the browser extension piece on Monday/Tuesday? Sorry, not a computer guru lol