Malwarebytes Mobile and Pegasus

Hi.

I was wondering if there will a future update for MB somewhere in the future to look for something like Pegasus.

There is a tool already by Project Mobile Verification Tool https://mvt-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html which is open source BUT it asks you to connect your probably infected device to a PC via USB which sounds risky, ergo, you give the attackers enough time to move a PC compatible payload.

Could something alike be baked into Malwarebytes in a future update?

I am still checking for more information but my guess is that Pegasus possibly uses innate system processes to exfiltrate information which makes it hard to identify through glasswire.

• Staff
19 hours ago, BigArachnotron said:

Hi.

I was wondering if there will a future update for MB somewhere in the future to look for something like Pegasus.

There is a tool already by Project Mobile Verification Tool https://mvt-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html which is open source BUT it asks you to connect your probably infected device to a PC via USB which sounds risky, ergo, you give the attackers enough time to move a PC compatible payload.

Could something alike be baked into Malwarebytes in a future update?

I am still checking for more information but my guess is that Pegasus possibly uses innate system processes to exfiltrate information which makes it hard to identify through glasswire.

Hi @BigArachnotron,

Although that would be cool, unfortunately I don't see us implementing anything like that in the near future.  However, we detect any Pegasus related payloads on Android.  I wouldn't worry too much about infecting your PC by plugging in your mobile device.

Nathan

Edited by mbam_mtbr