Trojan Browser Extension Hijack keeps coming back in chrome

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hi, i've seen there've been several of these topics solved but I can't seem to do it myself. I have this extension that keeps coming back to Chrome: appears as an unpacked extension called "uRssFree", and is located at a hidden folder in ProgramData which I deleted, quarentined with Malwarebytes after analyzing it, shreded with another anti-virus, and just keeps coming back after some minutes. Also downloaded Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, located the extension and other problems (related to Policies but not shure if to this trojan), and it just keeps coming. I attach the logs of the last scan I did.

Addition.txtFRST.txt

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Hello   @tcabado   :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will guide you,  Please always attach files / reports as we go along.

I need to review the Malwarebytes scan history & relevant quarantine info in order to properly help you. This is a report tool.  It is safe. It does not make changes.

Please download MBST Support Tool

Once you start it click Advanced > Gather Logs

Upload an archive once it is done. Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop.

• Please attach  mbst-grab-results.zip    to your reply , like displayed here.
  • To send  ( upload)   attachments please click the link as shown below. Then browse to where your file is located and select it and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg

Thank you.   Sincerely.

Hello.  Thanks for the report file.

There is more cleanup work to be done here.  Please do not be using other apps or web browsers during these next procedures. Only use web browser for purpose to get to this forum.

[    1    ]

As a next basic step, Please  set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones.  Use OPTION ONE or TWO of this article

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7078-turn-off-show-all-folders-windows-10-navigation-pane.html

[    2    ]

We will use FRSTEnglish.exe  on Downloads folderr to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for  Tcabado  only / for this machine only.

This custom script has some specific things, plus some general aspect to help the system overall.

NOTE-1:  This script will  run a scan using System File Checker to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.  It will rebuild the Winsock.  It will attempt to do a Quick scan with Microsoft Defender antivirus.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome,  and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.

Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the  C drive user Download  folder   

Fixlist.txt

Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Download   folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH.exe    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......
click line More info information on that screen
and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Please know this will do a Windows Restart.   Just let it do its thing.    We will do more after this.  Persistence & patience are called for here.

Cheers.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Oh Wait! After the reboot these two prompts came out. Wouldn't allow me to make a screenshot (they're freeze) but I took photos with my phone.

Also, you mentioned my passwords in chrome would be deleted. They didn't.

IMG_20210713_170515442.jpg

IMG_20210713_171039292.jpg

I am in process of reviewing last log-report.  Thanks for getting those images.  We can deal with those later on.  Just dismiss those message-windows.

Meantime, could you do one new Scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.   Let me know the result.  

Here I past the log of the Malwarebytes scan I just did. It found the Trojan again, and I quarentained it (again).

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Scan Date: 7/13/21
Scan Time: 5:27 PM
Log File: d0e5c648-e418-11eb-8c49-ac8247defbce.json

-Software Information-
Version: 4.4.2.123
Components Version: 1.0.1358
Update Package Version: 1.0.43047
License: Trial

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: LAPTOP-34C82GMI\tcaba

-Scan Summary-
Scan Type: Threat Scan
Scan Initiated By: Manual
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 335831
Threats Detected: 6
Threats Quarantined: 0
Time Elapsed: 1 min, 30 sec

-Scan Options-
Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Enabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Detect
PUM: Detect

-Scan Details-
Process: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Module: 0

Registry Key: 0

Registry Value: 0

Registry Data: 0

Data Stream: 0

Folder: 2
Trojan.BrowserHijack, C:\ProgramData\Bkjkml\Fjvh\B0FA173C, No Action By User, 2702, 940996, , , , , , 
Trojan.BrowserHijack, C:\PROGRAMDATA\BKJKML\FJVH, No Action By User, 2702, 940996, 1.0.43047, , ame, , , 

File: 4
Trojan.BrowserHijack, C:\PROGRAMDATA\BKJKML\FJVH\B0FA173C\BACKGROUND.JS, No Action By User, 2702, 940996, 1.0.43047, , ame, , 44BAC884B216264EA74C8F10C4CEE674, 30585C8EA6717388F8E88BB081F4564E016C3AF3CE0DA9E8959F59FA2A725432
Trojan.BrowserHijack, C:\ProgramData\Bkjkml\Fjvh\B0FA173C\icon128.png, No Action By User, 2702, 940996, , , , , 86DF701CE3B2191A415BDEF3222AB59F, E2712D19AA6AA4A29827E76C4DF53F54B5207AB9C90C0CB2202635072D41AA22
Trojan.BrowserHijack, C:\ProgramData\Bkjkml\Fjvh\B0FA173C\manifest.json, No Action By User, 2702, 940996, , , , , B939AAA20187D32EC57506ED5624A9C5, 31807715E6BD27EAD50ED16D236D1EE066CA4C928A3A8B740F66106F3D8226DC
Trojan.BrowserHijack, C:\ProgramData\Bkjkml\Fjvh\B0FA173C\tsaht, No Action By User, 2702, 940996, , , , , CA40BF7F9833689E13FBCE2F1A87759A, E97C7902F2A8D46465A19B23C33C22214BA5C7CCF149EB3AB729A3FCBE6318FB

Physical Sector: 0

WMI: 0

(end)

The next things I would suggest to do are 2 things.

1. Be sure to RESTART Windows.  There were some things that Windows needed to do that required a Restart.

Now a fresh new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

• In Malwarebytes for Windows program, we want to do a special scan.

•  

• Click Settings ( gear icon) at the top right of Malwarebytes window. We want to see the SETTINGS window.

•  

• Then click the Security tab.   

• Scroll down and lets be sure the line in SCAN OPTIONs for "Scan for rootkits" is ON 👈

•  

• Click it to get it ON if it does not show a blue-color

• Next, click the small x on the Settings line to go to the main Malwarebytes Window.

•  

• Next click the blue button marked Scan.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

>>>>>>   👉      You can actually click the topmost left  check-box  on the very top line to get ALL lines  ticked   ( all selected).     <<<<     💢

MB4_scan_tick_ALL.jpg.d04ef98c885b4f44f51bfe735922fba7.jpg

Please double verify you have that TOP  check-box tick marked.   and that then, all lines have a tick-mark

Then click on Quarantine  button.

MB4_scan_all_Quarantine.jpg.8639e1dfc2301bc6d60a8cfb3c339241.jpg

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

There will be much more to do after this.   Please stick with me

AFTER completing the scan with Malwarebytes, please do what follows.

There is a rogue / pest DLL file  that is used by the infector so that the browser hijack returns.  Sad to say so.   We need to squash that.

Please first delete the prior file you had saved  ( Fixlist.txt  ) on Downloads.   I am sending here a new one.

We will use FRSTEnglish.exe  on Downloads folderr to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for  TCABADO only / for this machine only.

This custom script has some specific things, plus some general aspect to help the system overall.

NOTE:  This script will  run a scan using System File Checker to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.  It look for the rogue DLL  & remove it.  It will attempt to do a Quick scan with Microsoft Defender antivirus.

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.

Please save this (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the  C drive user Download  folder   

Fixlist.txt

Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Download   folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH.exe    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......
click line More info information on that screen
and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Please know this will do a Windows Restart.   Just let it do its thing.   

NEXT do yet one more, new Scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.   Attach the new scan report.

Let me know how things are over-all.

55 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

The next things I would suggest to do are 2 things.

1. Be sure to RESTART Windows.  There were some things that Windows needed to do that required a Restart.

Now a fresh new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

• In Malwarebytes for Windows program, we want to do a special scan.

•  

• Click Settings ( gear icon) at the top right of Malwarebytes window. We want to see the SETTINGS window.

•  

• Then click the Security tab.   

• Scroll down and lets be sure the line in SCAN OPTIONs for "Scan for rootkits" is ON 👈

•  

• Click it to get it ON if it does not show a blue-color

• Next, click the small x on the Settings line to go to the main Malwarebytes Window.

•  

• Next click the blue button marked Scan.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

>>>>>>   👉      You can actually click the topmost left  check-box  on the very top line to get ALL lines  ticked   ( all selected).     <<<<     💢

MB4_scan_tick_ALL.jpg.d04ef98c885b4f44f51bfe735922fba7.jpg

Please double verify you have that TOP  check-box tick marked.   and that then, all lines have a tick-mark

Then click on Quarantine  button.

MB4_scan_all_Quarantine.jpg.8639e1dfc2301bc6d60a8cfb3c339241.jpg

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

There will be much more to do after this.   Please stick with me

Maurice,

first, I attach the last scan I did, after another reboot. Then I'll follow with the last instructions.

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Scan Time: 6:26 PM
Log File: 0ddd930c-e421-11eb-b534-ac8247defbce.json

-Software Information-
Update Package Version: 1.0.43049

-System Information-

-Scan Summary-
Objects Scanned: 335836
Threats Detected: 6
Time Elapsed: 1 min, 45 sec

-Scan Options-

-Scan Details-

Folder: 2
Trojan.BrowserHijack, C:\ProgramData\Bkjkml\Njvk\B0FA173C, No Action By User, 2702, 940996, , , , , , 
Trojan.BrowserHijack, C:\PROGRAMDATA\BKJKML\NJVK, No Action By User, 2702, 940996, 1.0.43049, , ame, , , 

File: 4
Trojan.BrowserHijack, C:\PROGRAMDATA\BKJKML\NJVK\B0FA173C\BACKGROUND.JS, No Action By User, 2702, 940996, 1.0.43049, , ame, , 44BAC884B216264EA74C8F10C4CEE674, 30585C8EA6717388F8E88BB081F4564E016C3AF3CE0DA9E8959F59FA2A725432
Trojan.BrowserHijack, C:\ProgramData\Bkjkml\Njvk\B0FA173C\icon128.png, No Action By User, 2702, 940996, , , , , 86DF701CE3B2191A415BDEF3222AB59F, E2712D19AA6AA4A29827E76C4DF53F54B5207AB9C90C0CB2202635072D41AA22
Trojan.BrowserHijack, C:\ProgramData\Bkjkml\Njvk\B0FA173C\manifest.json, No Action By User, 2702, 940996, , , , , B939AAA20187D32EC57506ED5624A9C5, 31807715E6BD27EAD50ED16D236D1EE066CA4C928A3A8B740F66106F3D8226DC
Trojan.BrowserHijack, C:\ProgramData\Bkjkml\Njvk\B0FA173C\tsaht, No Action By User, 2702, 940996, , , , , CA40BF7F9833689E13FBCE2F1A87759A, E97C7902F2A8D46465A19B23C33C22214BA5C7CCF149EB3AB729A3FCBE6318FB

(end)

Fixlog.txt Here it is. After the reboot I don't see the extension anymore... Just ran another analysis with Malwarebytes and nothing. I'll keep my eyes open. Is there anything else I should do?

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Scan Time: 6:38 PM
Log File: 98747cd2-e422-11eb-a293-ac8247defbce.json

-Software Information-
Update Package Version: 1.0.43049

-System Information-

-Scan Summary-
Objects Scanned: 335801
Threats Detected: 0
Time Elapsed: 1 min, 11 sec

-Scan Options-

-Scan Details-

Folder: 0

File: 0

(end)

• Like 1

Bravo.  Yes, I need to get from this machine a fresh / new FRST report.   The FRSTENGLISH is on Downloads.

• Double-click  FRSTENGLISH   to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Be very sure to TICK the box "Addition.txt"   ( like shown below)
  •  
  • Press the Scan button.

_frst_scan.jpg

• It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. 
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt).
  • Please close their windows IF they show up on Notepad.   I need the 2 actual files themselves.
  • Please attach both logs to your reply

You are very welcome.

Next action.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system. 

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Look on Scan Options & select FULL scan.

Then start the scan. Have lots of patience. It may take several hours.

Let me know the result of this.    This is likely to run for many hours   ( depending on number of files on your machine & the speed of hardware.)

The log is named MSERT.log  

the log will be at  

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.

Later on, I will guide you on getting the Microsoft Defender Antivirus to be fully on.

Bravo.      😀       Thank you.   I suggest we do one additional scan.

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner

Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"

• Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.

• Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.

• When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
  • Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan

Look at & tick ( select ) the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications" and click on Start scan button.

• Have patience. The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.

There is a progress window display. You may step away from machine &. Let it be.

You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program. ( e.g. their standard program). You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.

• When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items. If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
  • Click The blue Save scan log to save the log.

If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files” ( in blue, at bottom).

Press Continue when all done. You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

Please make sure you attach the log report.

The ESET scan did not find any new infection.  It only tagged 1 trojan file that was already removed ( in quarantine from before).

That was the same pest DLL that was a factor in the original problem (trojan browser hijack).   So a good result.

This here is the next suggested step   (  it does not take much time.)   One adjustment,

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center 

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".

{ We want that to be set as Off   .... be sure that line's  radio-button selection is all the way to the Left.  thanks. }

This will not affect any real-time protection of the Malwarebytes trial.

Now Close   ( exit ) Malwarebytes.

[    2    ]

This is a different sort of report.  I want to check on the security status of some services.

Download   Farbar's Service Scanner utility

and Save to your Desktop.

Right-Click on fss.exe and select Run As Administrator.

Answer Yes to ok when prompted.

If your firewall then puts out a prompt, again, allow it to run.

Once FSS is on-screen, be sure the following items are check-marked:

• Internet Services
  • Windows Firewall
  • System Restore
  • Security Center/Action Center
  • Windows Update
  • Windows Defender
  • Other services

Click on "Scan".

It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.   Please attach that file.    😁

Good morning.  This FSS report is good.  Yes, the pc is now clear of the pest trojan.  I just would like to insure that the Microsoft Windows Defender is all in good state and working, too.

I would suggest that you take a good look thru the visual GUI parts of Windows Security.  Look to see there are like, no red flags.

and even do at least a Quick scan.  Maybe later on do a Full scan with Defender.

This is one way to do a manual scan using the Microsoft Defender antivirus, as well as to visually check protection status.

From the Start menu, select Settings, then select Update and Security.

Next, look at the left-side menu & select Windows Security

image.png.53b8290f51fb52ad1f67f2be5d1a7198.png

Next, In Windows Security section: Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

image.thumb.png.770ff10e37da546f33963da571bd3378.png

Now, click on the shield Virus and threat protection

By the way, when you see a green check-mark on your display, it means a good status and that protection is on.

image.thumb.png.d3c40d161bda6630f463e83ce53f9782.png 

On the next display, look at all the options.  Look down the list and see "Check for Updates" which I have highlighted with a blue icon.

You can click on that to have the system check for updates for Windows Defender.

Please also note that the Scan options (all) can be displayed by clicking on Scan options. ( You can do Quick, Full, or Custom).

NOTE: If you have the time / opportunity, select a Custom scan & scan the C drive   ( one time as a safety check ).

image.thumb.png.1bfbd5b3023eeabe0dbea2025a5fa556.png

NOTE: On this last screen, be sure to review the section on Exclusions to be sure that nothing of the path, process, or file /folder exclusions are ones that you yourself did not place there on your own.

Edited by Maurice Naggar
  • Like 1

Almost.  I simply want to be sure we have covered all bases.

I would recommend getting a readout report as to update status of some key apps.

Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here  https://tools.safezone.cc/glax24/SecurityCheck/SecurityCheck.exe

and save the tool on the desktop.

• If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then

Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.

This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.

• Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
  • Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.

You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

• Thanks 1