KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139), System stack overrun, MBAM & Torguard

My computer sometimes totally crashes.  Not even a blue screen, I get a no screen: the screen is black, the power is off.  The last 3 times this happened were on 2021-03-20, 2021-07-02, and 2021-07-03.

I have configured my computer to try to generate a memory dump (C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP) file so that maybe the problem can be traced down.  Unfortunately, that memory dump file is not always created, nor do I really know how to do Windows debugging.  So, I am posting this thread seeking insight from anyone who is a Windows expert.

Below are highlights from using windbg to analyse the MEMORY.DMP file from the last (2021-07-03) crash:

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
    A kernel component has corrupted a critical data structure.  The corruption
    could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine.
    BUGCHECK_CODE:  139
    BLACKBOXWINLOGON: 1

PROCESS_NAME:  System

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000409 - The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this application.

EXCEPTION_CODE_STR:  c0000409

EXCEPTION_PARAMETER1:  000000000000001d

EXCEPTION_STR:  0xc0000409
    SYMBOL_NAME:  nt!KiFastFailDispatch+d0

MODULE_NAME: nt

IMAGE_NAME:  ntkrnlmp.exe

STACK_COMMAND:  .thread ; .cxr ; kb

BUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET:  d0

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x139_1d_INVALID_BALANCED_TREE_nt!KiFastFailDispatch

Attached as a text file is the full windbg result of analysing that MEMORY.DMP file.

The results above are exactly what I also saw on 2021-03-20, while the 2021-07-02 crash failed to produce a MEMORY.DMP file.

Does anyone have an insight into what is going on here?

I note this previous post which reported a KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE, however, its details seem to be different than mine.

That previous did have an intriguing reply by Porthos who suggested that other security software can interfere with MBAM.  He gave a link which specifically mentions several VPNs.  I use Torguard VPN's Windows client, which is not mentioned.

So, does anyone see any indication in the windbg result that MBAM and Torguard may be conflicting?  I will not hesitate to turn off MBAM's Web Protection if if is problematic.

I have had a couple of other strange MBAM issues recently (link1, link2), and in the second one Porthos and I had some discussion about MBAM, Torguard, OpenVPN, and Wireguard.

2021-07-03_windbg_analysis.txt

I wanted to keep my initial post as readable as possible, and it was already getting complex.  So I am using this follow up post to satisfy the BSOD posting guidelines.

SysnativeFileCollectionApp output zip is attached.  Not sure how useful this is, since my last crash was ~4 days ago, and I moved the MEMORY.DMP file from its default location to another drive,  The windbg result in my initial post might be better diagnostic information.

Questions:

· OS - Windows 10 for Workstations
· x86 - x64
· What was original installed OS on system - Windows 10
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) - Yes, my Windows 10 started off with whatever Dell installed on it
· Age of system (hardware) - about 2.5 years
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS - I have never re-installed the OS, but have continuously applied all Windows 10 updates as they come out

· CPU - Intel Core Xeon E-2176M (Six Core Xeon 2.70GHz, 4.40GHz Turbo, 12MB 45W)
· Video Card - AMD Radeon Pro WX 4150 w/4GB GDDR5
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop) - is a laptop
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop) - is a laptop

· System Manufacturer - Dell
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) - Dell Mobile Precision 7530 (bought on 2018-12-13)

· Laptop or Desktop? - laptop workstation

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

I had another crash at ~11:05 this morning.

I did a windbg analysis of the MEMORY.DMP file and it reports exactly the same information as what I first reported above ("KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139) A kernel component has corrupted a critical data structure...").

Since I did that first post above, I went ahead and turned off the Malwarebytes Real Time Web Protection.  Yet a crash still happened this morning.  Maybe Malwarebytes is not involved in the crash, or else some other part of MBAM besides the Real Time Web Protection?

Attached is a SysnativeFileCollectionApp output zip.  This one should be more useful to analyse, since the MEMORY.DMP file is still in its default location.

I would be grateful if anyone could analyse this and give me any insight into the cause of my crashes.  They are driving me nuts!

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

Hello CaptainHindsight,

Unfortunately, I did not find information about the cause of corruption in the dump file.

Could you please enable the Driver Verifier and provide a new dump?

Also I see that a lot of disk errors are logged in the Windows system event log:

Event[238]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: disk
  Date: 2021-07-11T20:44:42.3350000Z
  Event ID: 7
  Task: N/A
  Level: Error
  Opcode: N/A
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Computer: DESKTOP-A1VR7HL
  Description:
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

Edited by SQx
corrected font issue

Yes I am still with you!

Sorry for the tardy response.  I cannot run Driver Verifier right now because I have so much real work to get done.  I am going to try to force time later on tonight.

Hmm, I am disturbed about those bad disk block errors.  How come Windows never notified me?  I am going to have to look into this.