Register in Security Center - Free Version

Just noticed in the latest version that Register in the Security Center is now a premium feature?  Firstly, are ya kidding me?  Secondly, if this is meant as some kind of incentive to get people to want the paid version, it was counterproductive... I've uninstalled Free because of this and further, over the last couple of weeks I was actually thinking about purchasing another license and this irritated me so much I simply uninstalled it.  Is this an oversight?  Possibly someone has a different way of looking at this, but why would I want a program that has no real-time protection capability and which I only use as a secondary scanner to register itself as an ACTIVE security program?    I would ask the decision makers to reverse this.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

58 minutes ago, dprout69 said:

Register in the Security Center is now a premium feature? 

Has been a premium feature since Malwarebytes became an AV replacement.

The free version no matter how it looks in the GUI does not register in the security center as like you said it has no realtime protection.

Although it looks like it is on, it is greyed out and not active.

image.png.11e5374639ad450b1f51833867884f61.png

Windows Defender id active and working ad expected see below.

image.thumb.png.a117713584fd03ca6111110873db3a08.png

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, dprout69 said:

over the last couple of weeks I was actually thinking about purchasing another license

I saw you other topic, Would you be open to assistance to get the paid Malwarebytes working by providing logs and having us assist you getting the tray icon issue fixed once and for all?

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Has been a premium feature since Malwarebytes became an AV replacement.

The free version no matter how it looks in the GUI does not register in the security center as like you said it has no realtime protection.

Although it looks like it is on, it is greyed out and not active.

Windows Defender id active and working ad expected see below.

@ Porthos, I'm not entirely sure what you are saying is accurate.  1) I rebuilt my computers in January.  I can 100% guarantee you that option was not a premium feature at that time or anytime before it. 2) Note that it is "greyed out" in the ON position.  3) I apologize I'm unable to take a screenshot of the affected computer as I've already uninstalled MB, however, as you see in the attached screenshot, the Virus Protection section shows as an item in security center allowing you to access Defenders security screen when it is not registered and then the entry is removed when MB is registered.  On the affected computer Virus Protection was not there.

Snag_10881ce.png

2 minutes ago, dprout69 said:

2) Note that it is "greyed out" in the ON position.

That is normal. I understand your and any ones confusion.

What do you see in Windows security? does it look like this.

image.thumb.png.a117713584fd03ca6111110873db3a08.png

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

I saw you other topic, Would you be open to assistance to get the paid Malwarebytes working by providing logs and having us assist you getting the tray icon issue fixed once and for all?

@Porthos I appreciate your persistence and dedication to MB over the years.  As stated though, seriously I've had enough with trying to troubleshoot this software.  As mentioned, this System Tray issue has been ongoing for probably 8 years.  Same scenario over and over.  They break it, they fix it maybe a month or two later.  It's ok for six months and then they break it again.  It isnt solely my computer, there are tons of postings on this and I would dare say it's probably the biggest, reoccurring problem this software has dealt with in its history.  I dont have faith that MB will fix this "once and for all", with or without my help.  They have fixed it before and they will break it again.  I understand there are a lot of different computers out here and a lot of different setups, but ultimately they are trying to integrate with windows and that is common to all.  Whether it be the security center or system tray icons they have been designing this software long enough to get it right and unfortunately they dont... over and over again.

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That is normal. I understand your and any ones confusion.

What do you see in Windows security? does it look like this.

That's what I'm saying though.  It wasnt greyed out at all prior to January... 100% certain.  For me it didnt look like that until I uninstalled it this week and then reinstalled.  This is a fairly recent change. 

The screenshot I attached was from the security and Maintenance section in old control panel.  MB Free has been uninstalled so I dont know what the newer Security screen showed

3 minutes ago, dprout69 said:

I appreciate your persistence and dedication to MB over the years.  As stated though, seriously I've had enough with trying to troubleshoot this software. 

Very well. I understand your frustration. All I can say is, with as many client computers that I personally manage, I have not seen the issue "live".

And I will go out on a limb here and say, 99% of the time it ends up being a configuration issue with an individuals computer not the Malwarebytes software.