AntiMalware in System Configuration's Startup Tab

AntiMalware 1.41

Even though I do not have 'Start with Windows' checked I noticed that the following line is in my MsConfig's Startup Tab:

"C:\Tools\MalwareBytes' AntiMalware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray

'Tools' is the folder I installed it to.

The icon doesn't even appear in the tray so I had no idea it was starting at start up.

Are there other setting(s) to keep it form starting automatically or do I need to delete the entry in the registry?

Thanks,

James

I've already deleted the entry, actually a 3rd part cleaner deleted it at my request.

I can't seem to get that entry back into the 'Startup' tab. I've re-checked the 'Start with Windows'

and rebooted but the entry isn't there.

I thought, maybe, the entry was for the 'Check for updates automatically at:'. But being checked it didn't produce the

startup entry.

I was afraid of that. That entry may stay there no matter if you uncheck "Start with Windows" or not... Here's the entry from my registry:

String Name: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Value: "F:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray

• Staff

Greetings James :) .

mbamservice.exe is part of the Malwarebytes' Protection Module which needs to load at boot, but remains inactive until the actual Protection Module is started, in which case you'd also see mbamgui.exe running and you'd have the M in your system tray. If you want MBAM to be reset to its normal settings then please follow the instructions in this post. Be sure to keep your license and key info so that you can activate the software again after the cleanup process. Please let us know how it goes.

• Staff

Nope, if you uncheck "Start with Windows" the tray doesn't start, but the Protection Module (including the tray prgram, mbamgui.exe) can be started manually from the interface of the scanner by clicking the Start Protection button on the Protection tab, although the entry mbamgui.exe /starttray will remain in the registry, it doesn't actually start it at bootup if "Start with Windows" is unchecked :) .

Nope, if you uncheck "Start with Windows" the tray doesn't start, but the Protection Module (including the tray prgram, mbamgui.exe) can be started manually from the interface of the scanner by clicking the Start Protection button on the Protection tab, although the entry mbamgui.exe /starttray will remain in the registry, it doesn't actually start it at bootup if "Start with Windows" is unchecked :) .

Technically, since the startup item is still there, it does run on startup, but it doesn't have to remain running if it's not needed. I've not bothered to test and see exactly how it is handled, and Marcin never bothered explaining it to me.

Yeah, I've never found what changes between enabling startup through the gui and disabling it, nothing shows up in Autoruns so it must be magic, psychic, or using some MBAM specific config file or reg location that tells it to.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware | startwithwindows

32-bit DWORD

1 = on

0 = off

This is the same location on 32-bit and 64-bit systems.