Malwarebytes for Mac 4.11 beta

• Staff
Posted (edited)

We are pleased to announce the beta of Malwarebytes for Mac 4.11, which adds a new Allow List feature! This allows you to add items from your hard drive to the list to prevent them from being quarantined or blocked. (Currently, items can only be added via a file selection dialog, or when restoring from quarantine, but more ways to add items to the allow list will be coming in the future.)

See the screenshot below to see the new tab in the Detection History card. If you want to test, you can do so by creating an EICAR test file and placing it in /Users/Shared/Malwarebytes/.

https://www.eicar.org/?page_id=3950

You can update to the beta within the app, with the Beta Application Updates feature turned on, or you can download the installer directly from here:

https://cdn.mwbsys.com/packages/mmac.installer.consumer/2/1/d/a/21da24fe936a0fe00e179c1a19e763bc/c605c4ac-420c-470d-9fbd-1dda11cafb6c.pkg

Please reply here with any comments, questions, and problem reports!

51390813_ScreenShot2021-07-01at9_48_03AM.thumb.png.a638a60b047481c1d360e7e7022dea12.png

Edited by treed

I received the email warning that I was not at home

As soon as I got back I proceeded to install the beta

My feedback

The EXCESSIVE CONSUMPTION reappeared in the battery icon menu (it was a few days after the release of 4.10 that it did not appear)

In the time of writing this post (longer, because in my case it must be set correctly in Italian and then translated with Google Translator because English has never been my strong point at school, indeed perhaps the weakest point) the alert has come and gone several times. We will see how it will behave in the next few days.

In this version the error that still required the installation of Rosetta2 reported by @Xauma95 in this post?

I will definitely not put MacKeeper on the Allow List (not even dead 😂)

But MacKeeper can't be blocked regardless 

(any aware Mac user would never do that, but newbies take risks)

On 7/1/2021 at 4:00 PM, treed said:

If you want to test, you can do so by creating an EICAR test file and placing it in /Users/Shared/Malwarebytes/.

How can i create a EICAR test file? Do i also have to create that "Malwarebytes" folder inside "Shared"? And the last question, what will MBAM do with that test file? Thanks in advance

On 7/3/2021 at 9:56 AM, Xauma95 said:

How can i create a EICAR test file?

1. Open the system's TextEdit.app and copy/paste the following EICAR test content: X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
  2. Open the TextEdit File -> Save... screen and untick "If no extension is provided, use ".txt".
  3. Save the newly created file to the computer's Desktop as "eicar.com".
  4. Open the system's Terminal.app and issue the following command: mv ~/Desktop/eicar.com /Users/Shared/Malwarebytes/eicar.com
  5. Within moments a MALWAREBYTES AGENT notification should appear that states "Malwarebytes quarantined 1 threat. No further action is required."

Do i also have to create that "Malwarebytes" folder inside "Shared"?

No. Not if Malwarebytes for Mac has already been installed.

what will MBAM do with that test file?

If installed, the Malwarebytes for Mac app will have detected and moved the eicar.com file to its quarantine.

Note: The proper, benign, 68 byte eicar.com anti-malware test file always calculates a SHA-256 cryptographic hash of:

275a021bbfb6489e54d471899f7db9d1663fc695ec2fe2a2c4538aabf651fd0f

Your welcome.

Edited by 1PW

13 hours ago, 1PW said:

No. Not if Malwarebytes for Mac has already been installed.

I have MBAM installed but i don't see that folder inside "Shared", i only see "relocated items" inside my "shared" folder . Haven't updated to this beta version yet, so maybe is because of that. Thanks for the info

I didn't respond before because it was many months/years since I performed the EICAR test and thought perhaps things had changed, but I did have to create the Malwarebytes folder back then. Had nothing to do with a beta at the time.

1 hour ago, alvarnell said:

I didn't respond before because it was many months/years since I performed the EICAR test and thought perhaps things had changed, but I did have to create the Malwarebytes folder back then. Had nothing to do with a beta at the time.

Ok, thanks

Hello @Xauma95:

I apologize for assuming that your system's /Users/Shared/Malwarebytes/ directory would already be there. The /Users/Shared/Malwarebytes/ directory seemed to be already present in my system and I know I did not make it separately.

Be that as it may, I hope you were eventually able to continue to, and through, the move command. But if not, please let us know.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

1 hour ago, 1PW said:

I apologize for assuming that your system's /Users/Shared/Malwarebytes/ directory would already be there. The /Users/Shared/Malwarebytes/ directory seemed to be already present in my system and I know I did not make it separately.

Don't worry and thanks

So, as you say, the directory should be there if i have MBAM already installed?

Hello @Xauma95:

Due to my own faulty observations, I believed that /Users/Shared/Malwarebytes/ had already existed. Your observations seem to prove the need to create it. Again, I apologize for my error.

Have you been able to attempt a move of an eicar.com file to /Users/Shared/Malwarebytes/ for the quarantine notification?

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, 1PW said:

Hello @Xauma95:

Due to my own faulty observations, I believed that /Users/Shared/Malwarebytes/ had already existed. Your observations seem to prove the need to create it. Again, I apologize for my error.

Have you been able to attempt a move of an eicar.com file to /Users/Shared/Malwarebytes/ for the quarantine notification?

Thank you.

Yes, i've been able to do it, and again don't worry and thanks

5 hours ago, base0x02 said:

Is there a way to install this on the new MacOS Monterey Beta? I fail the version check at installation.

Also, like you, I'm testing the beta of Monterey (which I did every year - excluding Big Sur because the old Mac was not compatible), beta that compared to the past few years is particularly stable.

I can tell you, almost with certainty that, unless @treed change idea, you will have to do without it until the availability of a beta who, indicatively, was released in the second half of August (being the particularly stable beta of Monterey, I hope that @treed decides to release it first (at least in beta)

• Staff
On 7/5/2021 at 3:01 PM, base0x02 said:

Is there a way to install this on the new MacOS Monterey Beta? I fail the version check at installation.

There is not currently a way to do so. Engineering is working on validating things on Monterey so that it can be installed on the beta, but I can't say when that will be ready. (The installer does not allow installing on a future major version of macOS that it doesn't know about to prevent the possibility of catastrophic failure that could damage files or have other unanticipated effects.)