Jump to content

Windows notification sound, failed update and unusual window after clicking


Recommended Posts

Hi, I wanted to ask about a few things. Sorry for the lenght of the post. I'd be grateful for any help.

1) I launched a game after an update and a notification asking about firewall access appeared. I was a bit surprised because I already gave the access to the game and checked firewall options in the control panel to see if I can see anything weird. The game was launched when I did it and minimalized when the control panel appeared. Then I heard a Microsoft notififation sound but nothing happened. What could be that sound? Could the notification sound be delayed because there was a game running and was not connected to the control panel? The sound didn't appear again when I tried to launch the firewall settings a few times later. It shouldn't be anything dangerous, right? I didn't change anything in the firewall options.

2) I was doing something on pulpit and accidentaly clicked a right mouse button. The little window with options appeared (usually there are options like properties, scan with Defender and mb or refresh) and there were only 2 options to choose from: open with the program... (it might be named differently in English Windows, sorry) and cancel. I clicked on the different area on the screen and the window disappeared. What could it be?

3) I tried to install an optional update for Windows and when the pc was rebooting it said that the update failed and changes are being reversed. After the reboot I checked the Windows Update and it said that the update failed and I can try again. There is no need to do anything with the failed update, right? I can try again if I want?

Edited by Manaphy0220
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Manaphy0220 said:

3) I tried to install an optional update for Windows and when the pc was rebooting it said that the update failed and changes are being reversed. After the reboot I checked the Windows Update and it said that the update failed and I can try again. There is no need to do anything with the failed update, right? I can try again if I want?

Any update issue even if it is an optional one that fails is a sign of underlying OS issues. You have posted issues in the past.

I assume you did not do the repair install I recommended?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2021 at 2:25 AM, Porthos said:

Any update issue even if it is an optional one that fails is a sign of underlying OS issues. You have posted issues in the past.

I assume you did not do the repair install I recommended?

After the discussion there I thought it was not necessary, sorry. So I should do that repair install to avoid potential problems? The repair install is the one I do with the pendrive containing Windows installer and it won't erase any files and settings but just repair windows files?

Do I have to change something in BIOS/UEFI before doing the install? Something was mentioned in the instruction You've posted in that previous topic but when I checked other instructions there was nothing like that mentioned. 

If the repair install is required then I'll do it when I have some time because it says thay the process may take some time. There shouldn't be any problems till then, right? Windows Defender update was installed without any problems.

Should I try to install that optional update one more time?

Edited by Manaphy0220
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/27/2021 at 1:18 AM, Porthos said:

That is the preview for the July regular patch Tuesday update.

If the regular update on July 13 fails then you do have an issue.

What would You suggest me to do? Wait till the 13th and do that repair install if the update fails? 

When I turned on my PC today right after the Desktop loaded 2 windows looking like the one after typing cmd appeared for a second and then disappeared. One of them (maybe both) had win32 on the top. Last time when the pc was launched i did sfc scan (nothing was found). After a next reboot nothing appeared. What could have happened? I've found some advice to use the DISM check restorehealth program. Should I try it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Hello @Manaphy0220

Please post the requested logs otherwise we won't be able to assist you any further.

 

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @Manaphy0220

Please post the requested logs otherwise we won't be able to assist you any further.

 

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

 

 

Ok, will do. I have to ask tho: when I scan FRST with virustotal it finds it as malware. It is not dangerous or anything, is it? Sorry if I ask about it for the second time, can't remember.

Edited by Manaphy0220
Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Manaphy0220 said:

Ok, will do. I have to ask tho: when I scan FRST with virustotal it finds it as malware. It is not dangerous or anything, is it? Sorry if I ask about it for the second time, can't remember.

It is safe. Please allow it to tun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

It is safe. Please allow it to tun.

Good thing it's safe then.

I double clicked on FRST and it asked me if I allow it to make changes on this PC (as a program from an unknown publisher). I clicked Yes and then FRST updated itself. Then I enabled all options and clicked "Scan". Here are the results. 

FRST.txt Addition.txt Shortcut.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Let me have you run the following fix @Manaphy0220

 

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

  • Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Let me have you run the following fix @Manaphy0220

 

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

  • Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt 732 B · 0 downloads

Thanks

 

Thank You. I see that the topic was moved to different section. Do I have malware on my PC? Do I have to disable antivirus? Or can I try without doing it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

It was moved to the malware removal forum as that is the only forum that allows you to download this script to run it.

Exit out of antivirus or Malwarebytes and then run the script.

Let us know if you have trouble getting it to run @Manaphy0220

 

 

Thanks, I'm relieved now. So I have to diable Defender? I remember that when I did the fix last time I didn't have to. But if it's safe and necessary then I guess I will do it. But I will do it tomorrow as I'm going to sleep soon. Sorry for being paranoic but this whole process won't do anything bad, right? So should I try without disabling AV or should I do disable it before the first try?

Edited by Manaphy0220
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

It's all just generic clean up. Go ahead and get some rest and post back tomorrow and we'll take a look and continue from there as needed.

Cheers

 

Thank You I will do as You said. About the AV: can I try without turning it off or should I do it from the very beginning?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

You can try leaving it on

I've noticed that in the fixlist there are some commands connected with ip and steam. What are they doing? Are they supposed to be there? Wanted to ask before use it. Also: the process is safe, isn't it?

Edited by Manaphy0220
Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

<<remarks>>   Hello @Manaphy0220

You can be confident with the advice & guidance from Advancedsetup & my colleagues.  What that list has are normal measures in situations like what you describe.

There is nothing in this on "steam".  and yes, it is safe.

AdvancedSetup put steam HTML cache in the description of the fix. 

I won't have to configure anything again after the fix (ip and dns from the description)?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You will be ok.   I recommend you go forward & do the suggested run.   Then reply back with the Fixlog  & then describe any outstanding issue.

Go forward.    {  Cache files can be cleared & will not affect what you have.   He was only meaning "cache". }

Edited by Maurice Naggar
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Steam download cache was cleaned it does not affect the installed games. But you will have to know your login info to log into Steam again.

Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed.

Edited by Porthos
Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If the Steam download cache was cleaned it does not affect the installed games. But you will have to know your login info to log into Steam again.

Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed.

If it does not interfere with safety and security then there is no problem. I remember passwords. So I can do it withoit worries? Will paste fixlog after the process.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.