Windows 11 Leaked - What we know so far about Microsoft's new OS

Porthos

It is an early insider preview version so there are bound to be some issues, including that one about security hardware.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-preview-build-installs-failing-due-to-system-requirements/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/the-known-windows-11-issues-and-how-you-can-fix-them/

Even more concerning, users who had modern hardware that met all of the requirements were also unable to install the preview build.

There are quite a few Win 11 articles on Bleeping:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/

Yes, indeed, what Microsoft just made available this week  is a preview, for those seeking thru the MS Insider program.
MS: Announcing the first Insider Preview for Windows 11
"we are excited to release the first Windows 11 Insider Preview build to the Dev Channel, Build 22000.51  ! "

I don’t ever see Microsoft offering a free upgrade with Windows 10 Pro installed and the EOL will be in 2025 no matter if it is Windows 11, 12 or 21. With newer technology coming out it’s all about getting users to purchase newer PCs that supports new features of MS Windows. JMO though… 

The Win 11 upgrade is free. The problem is if the current computer is compatible with the new requirements.

Basically a great number are not with the current posted requirements.

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1

Their end-of-life policy is specific to each OS version / build.   Pro or no pro.  as long as your hardware & other specs are met, when offered the option for Windows 11, it is the life support policy for that Version / build that controls.   Their will be a Windows 11 PRO.

{ where is my link to the support cycle when I need it)   ( they have moved pages around)

By the way, one added benefit of having  consumer Windows 11 is that a given build will be support for 24 months  ( versus the current 18 months ).

N.B. Enterprise, ioT, & Education tend to have longer support periods.

Lots of official detail here https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/windows-lifecycle-and-servicing-update/ba-p/2493043

There are two interesting official tables on this link, that highlight Windows 10 support & Windows 11 support

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/faq/windows

Notice the tables in middle of that page.

Notice also 

New versions of Windows 11 will be released once per year. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The Win 11 upgrade is free. The problem is if the current computer is compatible with the new requirements.

Basically a great number are not with the current posted requirements.

Yes that’s my issue is the requirements. My PC doesn’t have TPM 1 or 2.  Thanks for clarifying. 

LoL; today I've been messing about with an old Toshiba Tecra M9 business laptop. Fingerprint reader and other fancy stuff but Win XP Pro, 32-bit, 1GB RAM.

Guess what? It's got a TPM chip installed.

I doubt much else will be compatible with Win 11. (I'm going to try 32-bit Win 10 though just for fun).

Edited by nukecad

• Root Admin

If there is a hard requirement for the TPM module I'd think Microsoft will be creating a Ghost following of millions of users that will remain on Windows 7 or Windows 10

There are millions of computers out there that either do not support it or need advanced configuration to enable it that most home users will not only not know how to do but won't care, they'll simply remain on what they have

MS seem to be really pushing for it for "security reasons" going into the future.

Maybe time to get into development of Linux apps for Software houses?

But TBH the average Facebook/Amazon/Youtube/etc. User will buy a new computer by 2025 anyway.

2 minutes ago, nukecad said:

But TBH the average Facebook/Amazon/Youtube/etc. User will buy a new computer by 2025 anyway.

Not always, I have 90% of my clients that cant or wont run out and replace a computer if it physically works and does the job.

Most on on 2-4th gen I5 business class computers with 8 gigs of ram and an SSD.

• Root Admin

Don't think anyone has an accurate count of how many computers there are worldwide but assuming there are at least 2 billion+ computers in the world that's still about 13 million or so users still on XP and about 320+ million or so users still on Windows 7

image.png

• Like 1

Want to find out if your hardware passes muster for meeting reqs for Win11 ?

There is an app called "WnyNotWin11" that will let you find out.   See bottom of this article

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-11/252493/tip-find-out-why-your-pc-is-incompatible-with-windows-11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/1/2021 at 6:10 PM, nukecad said:

LoL; today I've been messing about with an old Toshiba Tecra M9 business laptop. Fingerprint reader and other fancy stuff but Win XP Pro, 32-bit, 1GB RAM.

Guess what? It's got a TPM chip installed.

I doubt much else will be compatible with Win 11. (I'm going to try 32-bit Win 10 though just for fun).

It's necro post time - Here we are in 2024, and that 2007 spec Tecra Laptop now has 4GB RAM (max it will take) and a 250 GB SATA SSD.
(Those are the only components that I have changed on it).

It's been happily running Win10 64bit for over a year now, at an acceptable pace but obviously not as fast as a modern machine, and with no problems.

What prompted this necro post is that yesterday I upgraded that 15 year old spec Tecra laptop to Windows 11 23H2, and despite not meeting any of the Microsoft minimum requirements for Win11 it runs fine.
I'm still trying it out, but everything appears to be running as it should at an acceptable speed.

The upgrade itself was pretty easy, using Rufus to create an ISO installer with the necessary minimum requirement overrides on a USB stick, and then rather than booting from it simply running the setup.exe from that USB.
Windows 11 is now installed, all my apps and data are still there. (of course I'd made a backup image of the Win 10 JIC).
The whole process took me a couple of hours.

Here's a up to date (Jan 2024) how-to video for anyone else playing with an old machine:

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 1