Virus warning pop-up

Hi

While browsing, a virus warning pop-up appeared on my android tablet, which read:

www.effectivepopularcleanfree.cyou says WARNING!

Lenovo TAB 2 A10 is infected with virus and immediate action is required!

Continue with instructions to fix phone. Do not close this window!

** Exit at your own risk **

I didn’t click on it, just exited from Google and the pop-up disappeared with it. It never showed again.

Malwarebytes Premium was running at the time but didn’t show any warning notification. I ran a scan which found nothing. I also did a factory data reset. Should that suffice?

I wondered whether it was a fake warning but the fact that it identified my tablet was unnerving.

It sounds like a common tech support scam site/pop-up which can use your browser to detect info about your system which is likely how it determined your system make and model.

That said, if you do see any symptoms of infection and suspect that the device might be infected, please post in our mobile malware removal help area located here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/182-mobile-malware-removal-help-support/