Help me pls

Go to solution Solved by gonzo,

Hey, the Browserguard on my chromebook just said it had blocked 5 malware. Only special thing i've been on is hexEd.it. Does Anyone Know why this happened? It blocked 4 on the website itself, after it said it had stores istelf in cache to je accesible offline, and 1 a few mins later. I then immediately cleared cache and it didn't block any more malware. Can somone PLS investigate this. I don't have antivirus, as it's a school chromebook and i can't enter play store'

• Staff

I went to the site on my Windows laptop and had no issues or errors. Your Browser Guard logs would provide more information about your experience. If you could send those, I could take a look at them.

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

I went to the site on my Windows laptop and had no issues or errors. Your Browser Guard logs would provide more information about your experience. If you could send those, I could take a look at them.

How do i enter my logs? I haven't seen that options before.

• Staff

Use the screenshots below to get to the logs.  They are stored in your Chromebook's DOWNLOADS folder.  Send them and I will take a look.  (Sorry for delay. I know nothing about Chromebooks)

_step_1.png.22be865d2ddfe44c019c634092d4b151.png_step_2.png.6300ba3de58831479b8da93174b918c1.png

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Use the screenshots below to get to the logs.  They are stored in your Chromebook's DOWNLOADS folder.  Send them and I will take a look.  (Sorry for delay. I know nothing about Chromebooks)

_step_1.png.22be865d2ddfe44c019c634092d4b151.png_step_2.png.6300ba3de58831479b8da93174b918c1.png

Hey, (I finally remembered my chromebook account password, so now i'm typing from my chromebook), the files can't be uploaded. The file extension is wrong. It's jsonl and that's not allowed.

• Staff

Save them to a ZIP file. That will also be 10% or less of the original file size.  If you can't save to the Chromebook as an intermediate location, save them to a thumb drive.

2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Save them to a ZIP file. That will also be 10% or less of the original file size.  If you can't save to the Chromebook as an intermediate location, save them to a thumb drive.

I can't do either of those. I could just edit the exit .jsonl to a .zip but i think it would Mess up the file.

• Staff
  • Solution

I tend to come over as rude and pushy as well.  In my case, its because I am often rude and occasionally pushy. :)

There was one malware detection in the log file you sent AND it was one that was actually caused by us.  While I was waiting for the developer to put a second set of eyes on your logs to see if he saw something that I didn't, he was isolating the issue which was affecting you.  You should not be affected by it anymore.  Sorry it took longer than hoped for, but it worked out in the end.

6 hours ago, gonzo said:

I tend to come over as rude and pushy as well.  In my case, its because I am often rude and occasionally pushy. :)

There was one malware detection in the log file you sent AND it was one that was actually caused by us.  While I was waiting for the developer to put a second set of eyes on your logs to see if he saw something that I didn't, he was isolating the issue which was affecting you.  You should not be affected by it anymore.  Sorry it took longer than hoped for, but it worked out in the end.

Thank you! Also, could I ask what exactly happend that was affecting me? Did malwarebytes try to install something without my permission?

35 minutes ago, Nicolas2 said:

Thank you! Also, could I ask what exactly happend that was affecting me? Did malwarebytes try to install something without my permission?

Also, why did it detect 5 then? Did it just detect it multiple times like with thé cookies?

• Staff

I could see in the log that you "hit the ground running" as soon as you turned on your Chromebook.  On a fresh install and (likely) on a Chromebook without persistent local storage, Browser Guard starts with its databases in the state they were in when the product was released.  These databases contain information about blacklisted sites as well as whitelisted sites.  It then updates the databases with the most current information.  If you get started before it gets done, you get malware detections that seem to go away on their own.  Good for them, but not so good for your peace of mind.  You then cache your database so it should be ready for you in the future.

As far as that one other one goes, we were blocking a domain that contains malware, but not unblocking a specific part of that same website that is safe and contains information that is widely used by other websites. We found that and fixed that at about the same time that you detected it.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

I could see in the log that you "hit the ground running" as soon as you turned on your Chromebook.  On a fresh install and (likely) on a Chromebook without persistent local storage, Browser Guard starts with its databases in the state they were in when the product was released.  These databases contain information about blacklisted sites as well as whitelisted sites.  It then updates the databases with the most current information.  If you get started before it gets done, you get malware detections that seem to go away on their own.  Good for them, but not so good for your peace of mind.  You then cache your database so it should be ready for you in the future.

As far as that one other one goes, we were blocking a domain that contains malware, but not unblocking a specific part of that same website that is safe and contains information that is widely used by other websites. We found that and fixed that at about the same time that you detected it.

I believe i Know what exactly you are referring to. I clear cache and stuff a lot of times so it may just be that. I didn't get that issue before though. 

• Staff

We put out a new version recently.  Your old version may have updated beyond the date of the databases which were in the new release, causing it to take a step backwards.  At this point, I'm guessing.

• Thanks 1
  • gonzo locked this topic