Cannot Upgrade Malware Without Windows Update KB2286198

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hello Porthos - Thanx

I was able to pull up a list of currently available updates and KB2286198 (as prompted by Malware), is not among those updates. I'm assuming the worst case scenario in that I may have missed that particular Update while it was still available from Microsoft? Correct me if I'm wrong but this could mean I can no longer update Malwarebytes in order to make my system safe? In which case I may have to shut the entire system down and pick up another later model Optiplex that's Windows 10 compatible and start all over again?

Thanx in advance for any tips ...

Mike

1 minute ago, CarpenterMate said:

pick up another later model Optiplex that's Windows 10 compatible and start all over again?

I suggest moving from 7 as it is just going to get worse over time.

Try following all of the upgrade tips in that post including "SP2"

Hello again Porthos ...

BTW I read the post by eliuri back on April 17th. His situation was/is similiar to mine. I've already decided its simply not worth the hassle trying to install Windows 10 in my current system, (its too slow), and I'd loose functionality $$ with all my software. I also agree with AdvancedSetup that trying to install updates piecemeal is risky ...

It looks like the inevitable has finally caught with me - what I'd like to do is take my current system OFFLINE and pick up another Optiplex with Windows 10 and use that system strickly for online functions allowing me to still use all my software in my older system transferring files back n forth ....(for now)

Meanwhile I'd sure like to find out what happened with eliuri? What was his final decision?

Thanx - Mike

6 minutes ago, CarpenterMate said:

and pick up another Optiplex with Windows 10 and use that system strickly for online functions

Nothing wrong with Optiplexes. But I sell these to clients because I have the same model except I have the I7 version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FZ89B1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What ever you choose, make sure it has a minimum of 8 gig ram and a SSD.😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarpenterMate said:

...I was able to pull up a list of currently available updates and KB2286198 (as prompted by Malware), is not among those updates. I'm assuming the worst case scenario in that I may have missed that particular Update while it was still available from Microsoft? ...

Hi Porthos:

Assuming that OP CarpenterMate meant they were prompted by a Malwarebytes installer to install KB2286198, do you have any idea why a Malwarebytes installer would be asking Win 7 users to install this update?  KB2286198 was released in July 2010 and even though Win XP and Vista compatible versions are still available on the Microsoft Update Catalog at https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB2286198, the Win 7 version was likely removed from the catalog a few years ago when Microsoft was purging older Win 7 updates that have been superseded (replaced) by newer updates. Perhaps there's a glitch in the Malwarebytes installer that needs to be brought to the attention of the Malwarebytes employees.

---------------------------

Hi CarpenterMate:

If you require further assistance be sure to run Malwarebytes Support Tool (Advanced tab | Gather Logs) as instructed <above> and attach the mbst-grab-results.zip file to your next post.  Only Malwarebytes employees and a small number of senior forum members with elevated permissions will be able to view those logs.

You might want to read Rhon's 17-May-2021 thread Security Update KB2286198 is a Pain!.  Rhon was able to fix this problem on their Win 7 machine by following tenbob's suggestion <here> to install KB4474419 for Windows 7 (SHA-2 code signing support update for Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008: September 23, 2019), which is still available for download from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4474419 windows 7.

Installing KB4474419 might solve your immediate problem and allow you to install or update Malwarebytes, but I agree with Porthos that you should still follow AdvancedSetup's instructions at How to Update Windows 7 to the Latest Security Updates to ensure your Windows 7 OS is fully patched with all available security updates released before the end of extended support on 14-Jan-2020.  Note that Step 5 of AdvancedSetup's instructions is the installation of KB4474419 to add SHA-2 code signing support to your system.
---------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v20H2 build 19042.985 * Firefox v89.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2104.14 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.4.0.117-1.0.1308
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 1:43 PM, CarpenterMate said:

...BTW I read the post by eliuri back on April 17th. His situation was/is similiar to mine. I've already decided its simply not worth the hassle trying to install Windows 10 in my current system, (its too slow), and I'd loose functionality $$ with all my software. I also agree with AdvancedSetup that trying to install updates piecemeal is risky ...

Hi CarpenterMate:

If you are referring to eliuri's thread <here> you might also be interested in AdvancedSetup's post today (05-Jun-2021) in murph's thread Now MBAM Wants a Microsoft Security Update which includes download links and instructions for installing both KB4490628 (Servicing Stack Update for Win 7 SP1, rel. 12-Mar-2019) and KB4474419 (Win 7 SHA-2 Code Signing Support, rel. 23-Sep-2019), which are the two Win 7 SP1 updates recommended in the MS support article 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support Requirement for Windows and WSUS .

AdvancedSetup states "That should be all there is to it and the latest version of Malwarebytes will install on your system again" but notes that this is the "quick and easy method", and users are still encouraged to install the full set of updates listed in his 19-May-2021 article How to Update Windows 7 to the Latest Security Updates to patch their Win 7 SP1 system up to the end of extended support on 14-Jan-2020.
---------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v20H2 build 19042.985 * Firefox v89.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2105.4 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.4.0.117-1.0.1318
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Edited by lmacri
  • Like 1

To my friends Imacri, Porthos, AdvancedSetup and anyone else reading my post here. I want to express my gratitude for the easy fix provided by AdvancedSetup which Imacri pointed me to. Its Amazing! Yes It Worked! 👌

Just curious how/when this remedy came to be? Is it something AdvancedSetup just recently discovered?

In any event that DID THE TRICK! 😅

Thank You - Thank You 🤩

15 minutes ago, CarpenterMate said:

Just curious how/when this remedy came to be? Is it something AdvancedSetup just recently discovered?

Not really, Since the Windows 7 updates are a new requirement for current versions of Malwarebytes, He put it together since it is a big issue and we would get a lot of posts about it.

• Like 1

• Root Admin

This patch was due to decisions from Microsoft and other large technology corporations like Google. The security cipher is too weak and that need to be upgraded.  Yes, it's very possible it could happen again in the future but unlikely because at this point all version of Windows 7 are no longer supported, in which case it would simply stop working.

You can still install Windows 10 for free on most systems.

• Root Admin

Just mean that none of us know the future. In the future if something else comes out that makes older system vulnerable they may force current versions to adhere to some new feature that older versions of Windows might not support.

At that point future updates would potentially be prevented.

For now though we don't foresee that happening. You should be all set at this point

Cheers

• Like 1

Thank You 'Advanced'

On a side note, do you know: if I strip my old system and then reformat. Could I again download the previous updates I once had for W7Pro? Or are they (as warned) completely gone ...? And BTW I fully intend to pick up a newer Optiplex with W10 and use that machine online but keep my old machine functioning 'offline' so I can continue to use expensive programs I cannot replace ...

Thanks Again (you guys are great)!

6 minutes ago, CarpenterMate said:

if I strip my old system and then reformat.

Do you have the software for your expensive programs to reinstall? Also since you are going to keep it "offline" why worry about having Malwarebytes on it?

Keep using it as is without Malwarebytes.

Please also keep my previously posted recommendations in mind as well. Especially the following, trust me, you will hate the computer you get without it.

On 6/3/2021 at 1:53 PM, Porthos said:

What ever you choose, make sure it has a minimum of 8 gig ram and a SSD.😉 Also I highly suggest the I5 or better.

Edited by Porthos

On 6/3/2021 at 1:53 PM, Porthos said:

But I sell these to clients because I have the same model except I have the I7 version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FZ89B1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

By next week I will have 7 happy users with the above. That does not include the 6 one of my clients bought on their own and had me set up.😉

Great Machines.

2021-06-06_15h01_15.png

Hi Porthos! Nice to see you again!

You're preaching to the Choir here my friend LOL 😉

I'm a 72 year old editor, (work mainly work with Macs) but depend on my PC for everyday simple tasks, mail and even some video & audio editing on my current Optiplex. I always MAX out the RAM (currently 16GB) and strickly use multiple external drives for media, PCIe cards for both audio and video.

Here's a sample:

Back Story - Landscape - Recreations - Technicalities

Thank You!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1