Jump to content

Malwarebytes for Mac 4.10


Recommended Posts

  • Staff

We are excited to announce Malwarebytes for Mac 4.10, which introduces significant caching improvements. We hope that this will ease most or all of the issues some folks are seeing with high CPU usage.

If you have been seeing such an issue, please install this beta and let us know how it works for you!

To install the beta, simply do the following:

  1. Open the Malwarebytes app
  2. Open the settings, by clicking the gear icon in the top right corner of the Malwarebytes window
  3. Select the General tab, if necessary
  4. Check the Beta Application Updates box, and verify that you really do want to turn that on
  5. Choose Check for Updates from the Malwarebytes menu, and install the update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It installed itself automatically last night.

The anomalous consumption of Malwarebytes Protection remains in the battery icon menu but has definitely lowered within the activity monitoring, going from about 6 to about 2 in the 12h column

The% CPU of RTProtectionDaemon was also lowered

As I wrote several times in previous posts, abnormal consumption in the battery menu has always been present for Safari, and continues to be, and in recent months (from BigSur onwards) for Malwarebytes (practically no other app has ever been reported except in very rare cases in 8 years of macOS for me)

Probably it is a Big Sur bug but this can only be understood by you together with Apple

The problem does not occur, and has never occurred, on my Father's old Mac (13 "Mid 2012) updated to the latest Catalina update. I only noticed it on my native Big Sur M1 model.

 

IT IS NO LONGER PRESENT IN A CONTINUOUS WAY

Edited by MAXBAR1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff
2 hours ago, MAXBAR1 said:

The anomalous consumption of Malwarebytes Protection remains in the battery icon menu but has definitely lowered within the activity monitoring, going from about 6 to about 2 in the 12h column

I suspect that's probably normal, as it will continue to use some processor and power in the background (as it must, in order to do its job). We may consider some additional controls for scanning & RTP while on battery power in the future, but we'll wait to see whether it remains a significant issue before prioritizing over other things that may have a bigger positive impact on customer experience.
 

Quote

 

IT IS NO LONGER PRESENT IN A CONTINUOUS WAY

 

That's great news! Thanks for your feedback. 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, treed said:

but we'll wait to see whether it remains a significant issue

In my opinion it is not a significant issue as at the moment, perhaps because the Mac is new, it does not seem to have a particular impact on the battery charge. Its presence, when there is, is independent of the type of power supply, however.
My repeated reports are mostly due to the fact that it had never happened in many years and therefore I thought it could be a problem and not for the possible impact on the battery.
In fact, it has not happened to me yet, even with a use of several hours, to drain the battery too much.

(I assume for the optimization between CPU M1 and Big Sur that, even with demanding tasks such as high resolution HandBrake conversion of a video of almost 3 hours, it didn't overheat in the slightest. The MacBook Air, which is fanless, was barely warm at the end).

56 minutes ago, treed said:

prioritizing over other things that may have a bigger positive impact on customer experience.

I don't know what you mean, but I hope it's web protection (hope, they say, is the last to die). Meanwhile, on your advice, I bought 1Blocker

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff

Web protection is still in the list of future plans, but as a first step we'll provide a Safari version of Browser Guard. On Windows, Browser Guard can actually block much more intelligently than the web protection in MB4, and although there's definitely a use for both, Browser Guard will be much quicker to release. I can't give a timeframe, of course, especially since I'm not actually part of the team that's working on Browser Guard... but we're getting much closer.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The release of both will be the TOP  but already having Browser Guard for Safari will be fantastic (especially for those like me who only use Safari)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Edited by MAXBAR1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff

Yup, I've got both installed currently. I paused 1Blocker for now, just so that I can know that the blocks I'm seeing are coming from Browser Guard rather than 1Blocker, but it's definitely possible to keep both installed at the same time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, treed said:

Yup, I've got both installed currently. I paused 1Blocker for now, just so that I can know that the blocks I'm seeing are coming from Browser Guard rather than 1Blocker, but it's definitely possible to keep both installed at the same time.

Is Browser Guard for safari currently available?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @Xauma95:

3 hours ago, Xauma95 said:

Is Browser Guard for safari currently available?

Not quite. Also, as @treed tells us above, MBG for Mac Safari will be managed by a different internal Malwarebytes team.  I'm sure we all look forward to that day.

Reference: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/274966-malwarebytes-for-mac-410/?do=findComment&comment=1460845

As a generality, you may additionally wish to monitor https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/252-malwarebytes-browser-guard/ or possibly https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/70-beta-testing-program/ if it's first offered for beta testing before release.

Thank you.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, 1PW said:

Hello @Xauma95:

Not quite. Also, as @treed tells us above, MBG for Mac Safari will be managed by a different internal Malwarebytes team.  I'm sure we all look forward to that day.

Reference: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/274966-malwarebytes-for-mac-410/?do=findComment&comment=1460845

As a generality, you may additionally wish to monitor https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/252-malwarebytes-browser-guard/ or possibly https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/70-beta-testing-program/ if it's first offered for beta testing before release.

Thank you.

Oh, Okay, thanks. I'll be waiting for that

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Xauma95 said:

Does anyone know when will be available the stable version of malwarebytes for M1 macs? Thanks in advance

Version 4.9.7 (released May 19, 2021) and following (therefore also the current 4.10.4) are native both M1 and x86 being an Apple universal binary

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MAXBAR1 said:

Version 4.9.7 (released May 19, 2021) and following (therefore also the current 4.10.4) are native both M1 and x86 being an Apple universal binary

Are those versions stable or beta? Sorry i haven't tried MBAM yet on my new mac because i was waiting for a native m1 version

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Xauma95 said:

Ok thanks, do you know if i can transfer my windows licence to my mac?

If you have a subscription license for one machine, you must first deactivate it on your PC and then activate it on your new Mac.
If the PC is no longer usable, you can deactivate it from your account on the my.malwarebytes.com website

On Windows it is deactivated from Malwarebytes settings-> account tab. On Mac you activate it at the same time as installation or later from the account settings tab.

ATTENTION. If yours was an old license of the LIFETIME type, this can be used forever, but only with the Windows operating system, and in that case you must purchase a new subscription key (1 machine about 40 € / year; with more machines you see the savings)

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MAXBAR1 said:

If you have a subscription license for one machine, you must first deactivate it on your PC and then activate it on your new Mac.
If the PC is no longer usable, you can deactivate it from your account on the my.malwarebytes.com website

On Windows it is deactivated from Malwarebytes settings-> account tab. On Mac you activate it at the same time as installation or later from the account settings tab.

ATTENTION. If yours was an old license of the LIFETIME type, this can be used forever, but only with the Windows operating system, and in that case you must purchase a new subscription key (1 machine about 40 € / year; with more machines you see the savings)

okay, thanks for the help

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2021 at 1:29 PM, MAXBAR1 said:

Both are stable versions.
Version 4.10.4 is currently downloaded from the site (Link to download it)

I've installed the lastest version and it asked me to install rosetta, but when i look the activity monitor it says malwarebytes is apple class, did something went wrong or it was normal?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I can't tell you, as in my case Rosetta2 had already been installed previously for the various apps that I still had x86 including the old versions of Malwarebytes up to 4.8.12 inclusive (which were only x86).

@treed please, can help @Xauma95 ?

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MAXBAR1 said:

Unfortunately I can't tell you, as in my case Rosetta2 had already been installed previously for the various apps that I still had x86 including the old versions of Malwarebytes up to 4.8.12 inclusive (which were only x86).

@treed please, can help @Xauma95 ?

Thanks

One question you may help me, is there any way to the the database version on mac like on windows? I can only find the product version inside "about malwarebytes" but nothing else, i have set to search for update every hour. Thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

Up to Intel-only versions when you installed Malwarebytes the definitions were updated and you could see them.
Now this doesn't happen anymore, probably when you download the installer it already contains the updated definitions (but I'm not sure).
As soon as they are updated (now there should be version 4.0.547 of 05/27/2021 - I keep a text file where at each update I take a note - if I have not forgotten to mark it but at most it could be one more version) you can see in the survey history -> Report tab. I mark it on a file precisely because I clean old reports from time to time.

However, consider that if on Windows they are updated several times a day on macOS this does not happen because the total of Malware existing for macOS (since 2001) perhaps corresponds approximately to the number of malware produced in an hour for Windows.
On macOS 1 new malware in a month is already to be considered a particularly exceptional situation. @treed, @adas or another staff memberwill be able to clarify you better.

Malwarebytes on my Mac is set up like this (see screenshots)
Enabling betas is a very personal choice. One scheduled scan per day is enough, doing it every 12 hours is my personal preference

1477798877_Schermata2021-06-12alle18_11_47.thumb.jpg.3f80c3299c92ee814db371fd4adb6e0f.jpg360936866_Schermata2021-06-12alle18_11_41.thumb.jpg.374e72c09d9007b1300d8f47d22b2dbc.jpg711535794_Schermata2021-06-12alle18_11_33.thumb.jpg.a2bc448d9e7b60606a5c9a66531f6186.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, MAXBAR1 said:

you can see in the survey history -> Report tab.

I can't find any report about definition updates, maybe because i just installed malwarebytes today and can't see what version i have, i only know malwarebytes version 4.10.4

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Xauma95 said:

I can't find any report about definition updates, maybe because i just installed malwarebytes today and can't see what version i have, i only know malwarebytes version 4.10.4

That's exactly how I wrote you. Something must have changed in the last two versions.
You will surely see it on the first available update. However, it is not certain that it will be released this month

You can rest assured. With Malwarebytes and a good ad blocker you are more than protected on the Mac.

If you use Chrome (or its derivatives) or Firefox you can use Malwarebytes Browser Guard (which is free) Malwarebytes Browser Guard
On Safari there is (always free) ka-block! (or 1blocker if budget permits which has a lot more features - I use this and I'm fine with it but if I were you, I would download ka-block for the time being! because the free Malwarebytes extension will be released soon, although not c 'is still a precise date; it can still be combined with 1blocker for those like me who have already bought it)

Edited by MAXBAR1
Added information and useful link
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, MAXBAR1 said:

That's exactly how I wrote you. Something must have changed in the last two versions.
You will surely see it on the first available update. However, it is not certain that it will be released this month

oh okay so it is not like windows that you get "x" numers of definititons per day, it could take maybe a mounth for me to see a report about definiton updates, i'll keep an eye on it. Still wondering why it asked me to install Rosetta as this version of malwarebytes is universal and on my activity monitor says apple class.

Thanks anyways for the info.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • treed unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.