Malwarebytes Premium trial breaks Windows Defender real-time protection

I received a laptop for repairs, among other programs I installed Malwarebytes. Windows Defender real-time protection crashed, it was not possible to start it, if I slid the bar to on it automatically went back to off. At this moment I didn't put the blame on Malwarebytes, I did a repair install with a Windows iso-file. This didn't fix the issue, I did some additional cleaning, used the Malwarebytes support tool to clean, Norton removal tool, also got help from the Bleepingcomputer forum with fixes. I'm not 100% what did it but Defender started working again.

Great, what a relief. I went ahead and installed Malwarebytes free version because it's a great program to have. The 14 day premium trial activated and Malwarebytes took over Defender, because it's now also an antivirus. I'm not interested in premium so I deactivated the trial and Malwarebytes seemingly removed itself from the Windows security center. The problem now is identical, it's not possible to activated Windows Defender real-time protection. I've done all the steps I did before but nothing works. There clearly are some problems with Malwarebytes, I'm very disappointed because I've been so happy with the program in the past. 

Greetings,

Thank you for reporting this issue.  Normally, Malwarebytes should register itself with Security Center when activated by default which causes Defender to disable itself.  Once Malwarebytes is removed or deactivated Defender should re-enable itself automatically.

Unfortunately it sounds as though that it not happening on the systems you've dealt with.

The next time you install Malwarebytes, please enable the trial and before deactivating it see what happens if you launch Malwarebytes and go to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right.
Next, select the Security tab and toggle the option under the Windows Security Center to off by clicking on the switch which should shift it to the left

Once that is done, please restart the system and see if Defender is operating normally, then if it is, proceed with deactivating the free trial of Malwarebytes.

In the meantime I will be sure this issue gets reported to the team for analysis.  If you are able, please provide diagnostic logs from the affected systems as they may aid in troubleshooting the issue:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

Hello @Scrooge

If after all the above, there is still a issue , since this is on Windows 10 & the Microsoft Defender is the resident A-V , let me suggest you run these 2 commands in an Elevated Command prompt-window 

WMIC SERVICE WHERE Name="windefend" CALL ChangeStartMode "automatic"

WMIC SERVICE WHERE Name="windefend" CALL startservice

• Root Admin

Hello @Scrooge

Please post the requested logs that @exile360 requested and we'll be more than happy to review what might be going on.

Here are the instructions again below.

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

I reinstalled Windows 10, downloaded the iso with the Media Creation Tool, kept personal files and apps, this did not fix the problem. Defender worked initially but after the first reboot the same problem appeared. Can't turn on virus & threat protection, real-time protection etc. 

Error code given in Windows update when trying to update definitions: 0x80070643.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Hi Scrooge. My name is Maurice. I will guide you.

There was a timeout during the data collection. I also see that the FRST64 tool needs to be redownloaded + Saved to a actual Folder.

Let me suggest you insure that FRST64 be saved to Downloads folder.

download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64-bit from here

The custom script here will run the Windows SFC & DISM to check on Windows, take measures to help on Windows Update & the Windefend Windows service.

The script Fixlist.txt  needs to be saved to the Downloads folder.

The custom script on this post is ONLY for this machine and NO other.   

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.

The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the  Downloads folder

Fixlist.txt

Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Downloads folder.

RIGHT click on  FRST64.exe   and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run the tool.

If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.

IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen

and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. 

If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.

The tool will complete its run after restart.

When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Please know this will do a Windows Restart.   Just let it do its thing.  

Do let me know how things are overall,  after all this.

Sincerely. 

Thank you for the reply, running the fixlist now.

Additional information: The computer had been powered on unattended for a few hours and Defender was magically ok, real-time protection activated, everything working, I discovered it when it blocked the Farbar download. But again, it got broken after at reboot.

I will gather new logs after the fix with the support tool.

This here is a trimmed down script, to pick up from the point following last completed line.

The good news is that SFC run completed & found no issue.

We just need to do the rest.

• Delete the prior Fixlist on your Downloads folder.
  • Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt to the Downloads folder 

Fixlist.txt

Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Downloads folder.

• RIGHT click on FRST64.exe and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed. Reply YES when prompted to allow to run the tool.

IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

• When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

• Root Admin

Although HP acquired Compaq in 2002, the Presario name was used until the Compaq brand was discontinued in 2013 by HP, due to its marketability issues.

Looks like around the 2010 era?

SYSTEMINFO or the Addition.txt from FRST should show a general date about the computer

There was not a Addition report from earlier data provided.

Poking around at HP Support. It seems the CQ71 could have been made as far back as 2008 / 2009.

( The heyday era of Windows 7 ? vista even ?  )

So with that & seeing the last run taking so much time & the fact there was not a Addition. ( The support tool also has a time out cap).

I wonder if contributing factors could be HDD hardware, maybe need for looking for latest BIOS.

And the integrity of last OS install.

• Root Admin

Might try doing a direct download and run of FRST. Sometimes there are issues where Defender blocks the download.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

Kindly run the Fixlist I last posted above. + The FRST like Ron listed.

After all that, I need to review the reports.

PS. I am reviewing the post at BC forum.

At the start of that, the Windows 10 was the old old Build 1803 from spring 2018.  That used a older generation of Defender.

Patience & persistence is needed.

In process of reviewing the BC thread, I am quite surprised that that case is a Open one.

We cannot have 2 forums actively helping, with each one relaying Fixlist.

You gotta advise NASDAQ that you have a case here.  We need to suspend this case here, until you are finished at BC. 

Having 2 helpers on 2 forums at same period is a open invitation for serious oversteps.

Not a real good practice.

You need to decide whether to continue here or at BC.

Meantime we need to suspend this here.

NASDAQ is a well known helper.

We also need to let NASDAQ know.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you