Desktop.ini in Recovery partition?

Hey, 

I'm unsure if this is the right part of the forum to post this. But it goes like this I just went onto to check my drives and in my recovery partition I found an ''desktop.ini''. Should that be there or could this be some sort of malware, I have scanned with ADS-Spy/Alternate Data Stream Spy and it showed that the desktop.ini was ''Cached-Tiles'' and 200~ bytes. But when I opened it in notepad it was completely empty.

Hello Kirbycap and welcome to Malwarebytes,

Desktop.ini is a file that determines the way a folder is displayed by Windows. These files can be found in any folder on your computer, as long as that folder has a custom appearance set for it. Desktop.ini files control things like the icon used for that folder and its localized name. They only show their presence when the option to "Hide Files and Folders" is changed to "Unhide"

It is possible to delete desktop.ini files, if a change is made to the concerning folder's layout it will be regenerated automatically. Since deleting system files is not generally advised, a better option is usually to hide system files/folders instead.

The following link shows how to show hidden files/folders, to rehide just reverse the show option:

Thank you,

Kevin..
Edited by kevinf80

Hey,

I tried to doing what that guide said but i'm still seeing this Desktop.ini, I rebooted my pc to see if it worked but it didn't work.

But there is one thing confusing me I can open the desktop.ini in notepad but it is empty but the ''Recovery'' has an customized icon.

8 minutes ago, Kirbycap said:

Hey,

I tried to doing what that guide said but i'm still seeing this Desktop.ini, I rebooted my pc to see if it worked but it didn't work.

But there is one thing confusing me I can open the desktop.ini in notepad but it is empty but the ''Recovery'' has an customized icon.

I could double click on it and it opened Notepad could that be a problem,

But anyways I tried right clicking on it and went into properties and at the bottom it said ''Attributes: Read-only or Hidden''. If I chose hidden it disappeared. But i'm wondering why didn't Microsofts own troubleshoot work?

• Root Admin

Hello @Kirbycap if you've followed the advice of those articles then you should not be able to see a desktop.ini file.

Let's go ahead and get some logs though to double-check and see what's going on with the machine

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

Hey, it's an urgent situation I guess.

I watched an video how to download it but it didn't want to download on my desktop  ''cause I didn't have administrator access'' so it went somewhere else me being completely confused. So I found it but then I deleted it then some minutes later I found out that I had to rename it to Uninstall.Exe will this destroy my pc?

6 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

You don't want to rename it. You want to keep the name please.  FRST.EXE or  FRST64.EXE

Renaming it will  uninstall and delete it from your system. We don't want to delete it we want to run it to get the logs please.

Oh sorry if I was unclear, I installed FRST in the wrong location which I at the time thought it was desktop, but it showed my username and said that I didn't have administrator access to download it on the desktop so it re-directed to just the downloads folder. After that I saw the program pop up with the scan button but it wasn't on the desktop so I uninstalled it without uninstall.exe.

Damn..

• Root Admin

You need to be logged in and using an account that has Admin rights.

• Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

Hey,

Thing is I was logged in with an administrator account I have fixed that problem now.

1 minute ago, AdvancedSetup said:

You need to be logged in and using an account that has Admin rights.

• Press the Scan button.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you