Windows Update service is not running

• Root Admin

Yes, you should create a NEW Restore Point, just in case.

Then see if you can run and install the Rollup. Having a computer that is no longer supported by Microsoft and behind in security updates makes it more susceptible to potential attack that the updates are designed to try and prevent.

As said before - upgrading to Windows 10 would be the better choice, but if you're going to remain on Windows 7 then you should try to have it as up to date as possible.

Cheers

On 5/20/2021 at 4:16 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

Okay, please download and save this rollup to your computer

2019-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4516065)
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2019/09/windows6.1-kb4516065-x64_40a6dff87423268e55a909d40a310ac66386be0d.msu

Then close all applications and run the update and restart the computer when done

After you've installed the update above and have restarted the computer then please download and save the following .NET 4.8 installer.
Then close all browsers and apps and run the .NET 4.8 installer.

Download the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 offline installer package now.
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2088631

Hello, everytime after I update the rollup I always get that Error Code 0xc0000098, restore it with Restore Point and the rollup update is gone. I've been doing it for a few times yesterday

• Root Admin

Please uninstall the following software from the Control Panel, Add/Remove programs.

CCleaner  (most experts no longer recommend the use of this program.)
CloudNet

Is CCleaner Safe? Not Quite. And We Show You How to Replace It
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stop-using-ccleaner-windows/

Once you have uninstalled the items above please run the following fix.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

• Root Admin

Okay, the SFC command was able to find and repair some issues.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired

Please restart the computer one more time. Then create a NEW system restore point.

Then try the rollup file again and let me know how that goes now.

• Root Admin

We might need to get someone from the BSOD team to take a look.

Have you installed this update?

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2019/03/windows6.1-kb4490628-x64_d3de52d6987f7c8bdc2c015dca69eac96047c76e.msu

Someone else was saying they had a similar error and needed that update.

I'll check back on you tomorrow. It's way past my bed time

19 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

We might need to get someone from the BSOD team to take a look.

Have you installed this update?

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2019/03/windows6.1-kb4490628-x64_d3de52d6987f7c8bdc2c015dca69eac96047c76e.msu

Someone else was saying they had a similar error and needed that update.

I'll check back on you tomorrow. It's way past my bed time

Yes I already have this update

• Root Admin

At this point the original issue has been resolved. Malwarebytes should now be running.

As for this continued BSOD I think it's best to post a new topic in the following forum and let one of the BSOD Experts take a look and see if they can pinpoint what is actually causing the failure.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/160-bsod-crashes-kernel-debugging/

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you