Malwarebytes needed activation?

I have seen some screwy crap before but this is three time saround in two years where Malwarebytes needed to be activated?  Today May 11,2021 I returned home to find both Malwarebytes needed to have the ID and Key reinstalled and Windows Defender Anti Virus disabled. 

My PC does NOT have a connection to any internet, to do that it needs me to use a HOT SPOT from my phone.  I was on the PC this morning all was fine.  Came home took it out of Hibernate to see Malyware needed my ID and Key info? how is that even possible?  Add to that Windows Defender Anti Virus was disabled. 

I am lost as to why.

Thanks,

Giada

Greetings,

As with any subscription product, Malwarebytes requires occasional check-ins with its licensing servers to validate your license info and ensure that your subscription is still valid.  It also checks for database updates, though those checks occur much more frequently by default.

Also please keep in mind that without an active internet connection there are several components of Malwarebytes that will not be functional as they depend on cloud technology and that Malwarebytes also publishes regular database updates multiple times per day to stay on top of the latest threats.

For Windows Defender, you can actually keep it active alongside Malwarebytes if you wish.  To do so, open Malwarebytes and access settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then select the Security tab and toggle the option under the Windows Security Center section to the off position to the left and Windows Defender should then enable itself automatically.

I hope that helps to clarify things and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

Thank you Exile, for taking the time to respond.

Sadly I cannot maintain an active internet, but your explanation tells me why I have to re enter my data.

Those of us on the bottom of the  Eastern shore of Maryland at the Bay, hope to have fiber next year. Until then I have to connect via hot spot. 

Again thanks for this info.

Thanks, Giada

You're welcome.

Yes, it's rough when you don't have reliable, consistent access to the web.  I hope they do get the fiber installed, and hopefully on time according to their plans (or even sooner, if that's possible).

Assuming there is no cap on the amount of data you can download when you have hot spot access, I'd recommend trying to get everything that needs regular updates patched when you have the chance, especially your security products, like Malwarebytes, along with installing any Windows Updates, patches for your web browser(s), office applications, and any other critical web facing applications which receive regular updates for the sake of the security and stability of your system.  Obviously you must work within the restrictions of your current access to the web, but hopefully you do get the chance with some frequency.