Extension from foobar2000 suddenly malicious. False positive?

libmusixmatch.zipreport.zip

I have the extension working fine here for some months. But this weekend, mbam pops up when I started foobar and quarentined this file.

I did a little search, it has the name of an app which may have a malicious homonym. And virus total shows a 4/67 score for malicious, their MB version wasn't triggered by the sample.

23 minutes ago, kenji_asai said:

But this weekend, mbam pops up when I started foobar and quarentined this file.

Hi,

Do you have "Use expert system algorithms to identify malicious files" enabled? It is located in Settings > Security> Scan option.

This since this is normally disabled by default.

• Staff

Thanks for reporting, with "Use expert system algorithms to identify malicious files" enabled there is the possibility of false positives.  I've whitelisted it as well so it shouldn't be detected anymore regardless if you decide to have "Use expert system algorithms to identify malicious files" on or off.

That setting is to detect malformed files but sometimes legit files use protection that make them malformed. Malwarebytes is still tweaking the algorithms that is why it’s off by default. If you switch it on it is assumed you are able to tell the difference between a FP and a legit detection. 

And if you keep it on I suggest also turn off auto quarantine. Gives you the time to report FP's and not go thru the extra step to have to restore from quarantine. 😉

• 4 weeks later...