Video crashing Discord, "Input not supported" and Windows repair tool

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

REMINDER:    If you don't have that 700GB from the D: drive backed up to an external USB drive then you would lose ALL of that data if you delete the partitions. Make sure all data you want to keep is backed up to an external USB drive first.

Thank You very much for Your help! I already have all files I need to save in cloud. My friend recommended me a video with a tutorial. It is in Polish but still if I do everything like the man on the video (but I will activate the windows) then it will be good?

In the screen with partitions I should delete the partitions I have (by pressing "usuń" or in English "delete" and then I will have my full disc as an unallocated space. Then If I want to have partitions I should create new ones by clicking "nowa" ("new") and part the space however I want, right?

Then there will be one partition reserved by system and two free? By deleting them and creating new ones there should be no option that any infection survives as You mentioned earlier?

About logging out of the accounts I'm logged in, I meant accounts like Google, Discord, Facebook etc.

And if I don't want to have partitions than I should just delete the partitions I have and then click "next" while there is 1TB (the whole disc) of unallocated space?

And again, sorry for the ammount of questions, I'm still completely new in terms of doing anything like installation of windows.

Edited by Manaphy0220
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@AdvancedSetup

Today when I tried to launch my PC, there was a problem - it freezed on "Windows is starting". I pressed the "reset" button and then windows repair tool launched. But it freezed again (I couldn't do anything) so i pressed "reset" again. This time it worked and it restored my system to the point when everything was working (that's what it said). Again Sophos Virus Removal Tool was restored and the newest Nvidia graphic driver was removed. I wanted to make that clean installation tomorrow but if there is a problem with a disk or other hardware then there is probably no point doing that. How does it look to You? Could You recommend a program to check my disc? As I said before, chkdsk does not work for Disc C for some reason so i can't use that.

• Root Admin

If you run a Disk Check from Safe Mode it should work. If this does not work, then run Device Manager and under Disk Drives give me the model number of the drive and I'll see if I can locate the correct Disk Checking program for you.

NOTE: The information below says to use CHKDSK C: /R please do not use that switch on your drive. Please just use the following switch.  CHKDSK C: /F

Please follow the directions below to get into Windows 10 Safe Mode at a Command Prompt

If needed, here is another link with 7 ways to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10

Please print out these instructions, or view them from another computer.

On the affected computer please log off by right click over the Start button and select Log Off.

Then, at the Login screen press and hold the shift key on the keyboard and click the power button on screen and select Restart. Do not let go of the Shift key until it reboots

01_sign_on_screen.jpg

After the Restart it will come up with a screen as shown below. Click on the Troubleshoot button.

02_click_troubleshoot.jpg

Then you'll have another menu like below. Click on the Advanced options button.

03_click_advanced_option.jpg

Now click on the Command Prompt button

04_click_command_prompt.jpg

You should probably see a screen similar to below, getting the command prompt ready.

05_preparing_command_prompt.jpg

Select your Account

06_choose_an_admin_level_account.jpg

Type in your Password

07_type_in_your_password.jpg

Now, type in NOTEPAD and press the Enter key

08_type_in_notepad.jpg

Click File - Open inside of Notepad to see what drive Windows is on.

09_click_file_open.jpg

10_click_this_pc.jpg

11_select_biggest_disk.jpg

12_verify_windows_disk.jpg

Now type in CHKDSK  C: /R  {make sure you use your disk letter, which may be D: or E: etc.}

13_issue_disk_check_command.jpg

The disk check should run and look similar to below. From this Safe Mode the drive cannot be locked and should not ask for any reboot. It should just run like shown below.

14_disk_check_in_progress.jpg

Please try the above, and if you continue to have issues, take some pictures with your phone and post them back so we can see what's going on.

Thank you

• Root Admin

I don't speak Polish so not sure what he said in the video but you can try it. There are factors that can stop or prevent Windows from installing if you do that though. No harm in trying if you do want another partition. If it doesn't work then delete all the partitions as I said and let Windows do it by itself.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I don't speak Polish so not sure what he said in the video but you can try it. There are factors that can stop or prevent Windows from installing if you do that though. No harm in trying if you do want another partition. If it doesn't work then delete all the partitions as I said and let Windows do it by itself.

@AdvancedSetup

What are the factors? The disc space?

I think that I'll try making 2 partitions and if this doesn't work then I'll do as You said.

I checked the disc name and it says: ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device

The question is: does it look like there is a problem with the disc? If not then there is probably no point in doing anything because I want to format the disc tomorrow. If I should check it then I'll try tho. However, there is still Windows 7 installed on my PC so should I launch it in the safe mode by pressing F8 during launching?

Also: if i run Windows in a safe mode then will it return back to normal with next launch?

Edited by Manaphy0220
  • Root Admin

Please do run the disk check from Safe Mode.

Yes, after restart it will automatically go back to Normal Mode

I'll look up your disk and get you a link for the tool to test it.

Testing is not the same as running a Disk Check so please go ahead and do that. It should only take a very short time to run it.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please do run the disk check from Safe Mode.

Yes, after restart it will automatically go back to Normal Mode

I'll look up your disk and get you a link for the tool to test it.

Testing is not the same as running a Disk Check so please go ahead and do that. It should only take a very short time to run it.

To run that check in the safe mode I'll have to launch Windows in safe mode (by pressing F8 while launching) and then go into My Computer -> rmb on the disc -> Properties -> Tools -> check disc? Or type cmd in search bar, then launch it as an administrator and write a command. Is the command the same as for Windows 10 (chkdsk c: f) ? Then it will be checked while launching the system next time. Should I be clicking F8 when Pc will be launching after using chkdsk? @AdvancedSetup

Edited by Manaphy0220
  • Root Admin

The drive is from Seagate - please download their support tool to test the hard drive for issues and let me know what it finds.

SeaTools for Windows
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

image.png

SeaTools for Windows

Seagate Seatools Diagnostics | Run Diagnostics Tests On Your Hard Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHpJ7aum4n8

Fix a broken HDD or SSD with free software: Seatools from Seagate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5MEH7BLIo

Crystal Disk Info
https://crystalmark.info/en/2021/03/21/crystaldiskinfo-8-12-0/

Download Crystal Disk Info
https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/74801/CrystalDiskInfo8_12_0.exe/

• Root Admin

Okay, sorry about that. Yes, F8 to Start Safe Mode but that is not the same as the Windows 10 version.

Do you have the Windows 10 image built from Microsoft Media Creation tool on USB already? You could boot from that and do a disk check.

The issue with Windows 7 is that it doesn't fully disconnect the OS from the test the same as Windows 10 does now.

SeaTools for Windows

SeaTools for DOS if you do get an error in the Windows version

@AdvancedSetup

I did SMART test and it said that it's ok. Should I do another test?

I already have a pendrive with that Windows 10 instalator. I don't know how to use it to run that test. Besides, is there a reason for doing that test if I can just make that clear installation? And what about that safe mode chkdsk? Should I try?

• Root Admin

I would run at least a SHORT Test (do not run a Long Test)

Then I would boot from that Pen drive and run a disk check from there:  CHKDSK  C:  /F

Do you read, write, speak, understand English or only through Google Translator?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I would run at least a SHORT Test (do not run a Long Test)

Then I would boot from that Pen drive and run a disk check from there:  CHKDSK  C:  /F

Do you read, write, speak, understand English or only through Google Translator?

I started that long test before getting the answer but aborted it. Short generic test is finished and it says: Short Generic - Pass.

How do I use that disc scan from a pendrive? The pendrive won't get infected or anything, right? Also: will it work when I have a different system installed?

I'm not using any translator, sorry for mistakes.

Edited by Manaphy0220
  • Root Admin

Okay, watch this post and instead of using FRST get to the command prompt and run the disk check.

CHKDSK  C: /F    - or whichever the OS drive is. In most cases it will still be C:

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Okay, watch this post and instead of using FRST get to the command prompt and run the disk check.

CHKDSK  C: /F    - or whichever the OS drive is. In most cases it will still be C:

@AdvancedSetup

How do i do that? I mean how to get to the command prompt? Will Shift + F10 work with my system? And if it does then I should not open notepad but write the command?

Edited by Manaphy0220
  • Root Admin

Yes, because you're not on Windows 7 at that point. You're actually on Windows 10  from the boot USB disk.

You can do the following.

DIR C:

If it shows files then you can run the disk check command

CHKDSK  C:  /F

If it gets an error then you'll need to use notepad (your programs don't exist on the USB disk) to find the drive that your version of Windows is installed on. As said though, in most cases it will be C:

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Yes, because you're not on Windows 7 at that point. You're actually on Windows 10  from the boot USB disk.

You can do the following.

DIR C:

If it shows files then you can run the disk check command

CHKDSK  C:  /F

If it gets an error then you'll need to use notepad (your programs don't exist on the USB disk) to find the drive that your version of Windows is installed on. As said though, in most cases it will be C:

So after pressing Shift + F10 i write DIR C: then CHKDSK C: /F and if this fails then I should open notepad and check the disck by pressing rmb on it and then go for check tool? Then I'll send You the results and if they are good then I'll do the clean installation tomorrow?

As i asked earlier: there is no risk of infecting the pendrive if there is a malware of some sort on my pc?

Edited by Manaphy0220
Just now, AdvancedSetup said:

No, as long as you boot from the Disk it won't get infected.

So I don't have to worry cause I'll use it just to do that scan and then to install win10. Will I have to switch the boot options in Boot Menu after doing chkdsk to launch pc in a normal way?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

No, as long as you boot from the Disk it won't get infected.

@AdvancedSetup I did it. The dir command said "file not found" but chkdsk worked (attachment). After it I clicked the red "x" and the installator closed. The pc began its restart so I removed the pendrive. Did I do everything as I was supposed to?

20210504_234222.jpg

Edited by Manaphy0220