Video crashing Discord, "Input not supported" and Windows repair tool

Hello,

today someone sent a video that crashed Discord (it happened to me once in the past when someone sent a PM with that video) on one of servers I'm in. A few people said that it doesn't do anything except crashing Discord app (it has a 15kx15k pixels frame in it). I blocked animated pictures in discord's settings now. I think it was the same video and previously nothing was found on my pc. Can I assume that everything is good?

Another thing (no idea if it's connected): when tried to launch my PC again (had to re-launch it) there was a notification "Input not supported" on my screen. I turned everything off and after launching the PC again, Windows repair tool appeared and it said that it will restore my PC to the point when everything was working good. The PC launched normally and everything seems to work fine, but there was Sophos Virus Removal Tool restored (I've uninstalled it previously). I uninstalled it again. How does it look to You? Should everything be good now? I'm doing scans with ESET Online Scanner and Malwarebytes now.

I'd also like to ask about downloading drivers after Windows 10 clean instalation I want to do (I have Windows 7  now). Do I have to look for drivers by myself or will they be installed automatically? I heard that downloading GeForce Experience and leaving other drivers to Windows will do fine. Is that true? If not, how can I find drivers I need? Is there any important difference between Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro?

Edited by Manaphy0220

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Just curious if it needed cleaning. Google Chrome is well known for harboring junk that isn't always easy to remove.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Hello @Manaphy0220

Can I have you temporarily uninstall the following.

Avast Free Antivirus

Then let's work on doing some other scans, tests, and updates and see if that fixes your issues.

Please see the following link on removing Avast fully

https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Once Avast has been fully removed then run FRST again and click on SCAN and post back both new logs

Thanks

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @Manaphy0220

Can I have you temporarily uninstall the following.

Avast Free Antivirus

Then let's work on doing some other scans, tests, and updates and see if that fixes your issues.

Please see the following link on removing Avast fully

https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Once Avast has been fully removed then run FRST again and click on SCAN and post back both new logs

Thanks

Is it possible to say if system is infected or not? I will try with uninstalling Avadt but the biggest concern is whether pc is safe or not.

Also: as I plan to make a clean installation of Windows 10 it could resolve all problems but I have to ask: can I leave Windows with downloading drivers or do I have to do it by myself? I have no idea which drivers will be needed (except for the graphics one - I will instalacji GeForce Experience).

• Root Admin

The logs don't show an obvious infection but it does show some Windows software, driver, etc. issues. Often Avast can mask the root cause or in some cases be part of the issue due to a corrupted install.

What is the Manufacturer name of the computer? Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba, etc?

What is the Model number?

Is it a laptop or a desktop?

If you're going to install Windows 10 from scratch I can help you do that with guided information.

Thanks @Manaphy0220

21 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

The logs don't show an obvious infection but it does show some Windows software, driver, etc. issues. Often Avast can mask the root cause or in some cases be part of the issue due to a corrupted install.

What is the Manufacturer name of the computer? Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba, etc?

What is the Model number?

Is it a laptop or a desktop?

If you're going to install Windows 10 from scratch I can help you do that with guided information.

Thanks @Manaphy0220

It is a PC, I don't think there is  a Manufacturer. I can give specifications of my pc. So it looks like my PC is clear but there are some problemms with software? About uninstalling AVAST: do I have to use that tool? I don't really know how to use the safe mode.

About the Windows. I don't know 2 things. The first one is: how should I activate it if I want to have my microsoft account connected to the activation code (I want to be able to activate it when I change my PC). The second thing is: what should I do if I want to format my pc (delete everything) but keep 2 partitions of the disk as I have now.

Also: the check disk tool stil doesn't work for Disc C. Should I check if everything is good with some other program?

Edited by Manaphy0220

• Root Admin

Here are 5 ways to start Windows 7 into Safe Mode

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/what-safe-mode-how-boot-safe-mode/

Unless you built the computer yourself there is a Manufacturer

The motherboard of the computer says the following:  Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B85M-D2V

Not sure if this is your version or not but you can look on the motherboard possibly to see:  https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-B85M-D2V-rev-11#ov

You could look for your specific motherboard and if there are newer drivers for it.

If Windows 7  is not activated then yes, many features are going to auto disable

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/what-happens-to-windows-7-after-the-30-day/14c1b0de-8341-4f8b-a72e-a7603611d1f3

https://ostoday.org/windows/what-happens-if-you-dont-activate-windows-7.html

11 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Here are 5 ways to start Windows 7 into Safe Mode

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/what-safe-mode-how-boot-safe-mode/

Unless you built the computer yourself there is a Manufacturer

The motherboard of the computer says the following:  Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B85M-D2V

Not sure if this is your version or not but you can look on the motherboard possibly to see:  https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-B85M-D2V-rev-11#ov

You could look for your specific motherboard and if there are newer drivers for it.

If Windows 7  is not activated then yes, many features are going to auto disable

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/what-happens-to-windows-7-after-the-30-day/14c1b0de-8341-4f8b-a72e-a7603611d1f3

https://ostoday.org/windows/what-happens-if-you-dont-activate-windows-7.html

Oh I see, the PC was bought in a shop, I'm not sure if I remember the name of it. About the scan: it works for Disc D but for some reason doesn't for Disc C. Should I be concerned with this?

About instalation: there is no reason I shouldn't log in to microsoft account when installing Windows 10, right? I heard it's better to do it. And I still don't know what to do about the partitions and formating. During Windows 10 instalation there is that screen (will attach it). In my case there should be 2 partitions I have right? What should I do to them?

part.png

• Root Admin

That shows 1 hard drive with 3 partitions. If you're certain you do not need any data from the drive then delete ALL of the partitions and allow Windows to create the new partition on it's own by highlighting the blank entry and clicking Next.

Windows will start the installation and move forward

12 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

That shows 1 hard drive with 3 partitions. If you're certain you do not need any data from the drive then delete ALL of the partitions and allow Windows to create the new partition on it's own by highlighting the blank entry and clicking Next.

Windows will start the installation and move forward

It's a screen from a video on yt. I just wanted to show what screen I meant. Shouldn't I just use option "format" on my partitions and then install Windows on one of them? Or is deleting them the right way?

I should do that format and windows 10 instalation when I'm ready, right?

• Root Admin

There are older infections that can survive a format. There are no infections that can survive having all partitions removed. Just be careful and when you get to that point if you have questions send me a screenshot from your computer or phone and I'll take a look. But as long as you only have one hard drive then yes removing all partitions would be recommended in your case.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

There are older infections that can survive a format. There are no infections that can survive having all partitions removed. Just be careful and when you get to that point if you have questions send me a screenshot from your computer or phone and I'll take a look. But as long as you only have one hard drive then yes removing all partitions would be recommended in your case.

So I should remove them and will have unalocated space as the only option. Next I should create new ones or go with unalocated space? Also: Should i format them before deleting or it doesn't matter?

Edited by Manaphy0220
Adding one question

• Root Admin

Do not create yourself. Let the system pick and create on it's own. Just highlight the unallocated space and click NEXT and Windows will auto pick the formatting and creation it wants.

Again, though. Make sure you don't have another hard drive in the unit. If you removed the partitions from a secondary drive you'll lose all data on that drive.

38 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Do not create yourself. Let the system pick and create on it's own. Just highlight the unallocated space and click NEXT and Windows will auto pick the formatting and creation it wants.

Again, though. Make sure you don't have another hard drive in the unit. If you removed the partitions from a secondary drive you'll lose all data on that drive.

That won't be a problem, I have only one disc and no others connected. So after that will I be able to make partitions? Also, do I have to disconnect my mic, pad etc. before format? And should I log off from the accounts I'm logged in?

• Root Admin
10 minutes ago, Manaphy0220 said:

So after that will I be able to make partitions? No, not easily as the installer will allocate all disk space. If you want a partition then you'd need to create one but not use it. Then use the un-allocated space to install Windows on.

Also, do I have to disconnect my mic, pad etc. before format? No, you do not need to disconnect the other devices. There is NO format. DO NOT format. Allow Windows to create and manage it.

And should I log off from the accounts I'm logged in? There are no accounts to be logged into you're booting up from an installer disk that knows nothing about profiles in general

3 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Ok so when I'm on the partitions screen I do not click format on the partitions but instead I should click delete on both of them and then there will be only an unallocated space there?  I mean, the whole space on the disc will be named unallocated space and it will be the only choice I have there?

Then what should I do if I want to make partitions? Use the "new" option? If that's the point, then how much space can I assign to the new partition? Sorry but I don't understand that part.

If I think correctly then there will be 2 positions to choose from after doing that step: un-allocated space and the partition just made. And I'll have to choose un-allocated space as a place when Windows will be installed?

Edited by Manaphy0220

1 minute ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Why do you want another partition? I ask because you don't seem familiar with this and having a secondary partition is a tad more advanced.

To be honest if it's not helpful or anything then I don't really need it I think. I'm used to it because since I remember I had Discs C and D. But if it is a problem and isn't really necessary then I think I can skip it. Then I should just select any position that will appear on that screen and use "delete" on them? After than click on the Unallocated place and press "next"?

• Root Admin

It's not a problem in general if you know what it's for and you're specifically keeping data partitioned off for a reason. One reason might be to move your Downloads folder or Documents folder, but for the average user it simply adds complexity to the system.

If you do want the partition though, then yes you must make it at that point, otherwise you'll need much more advanced methods or 3rd party software to create it afterwards.

The logs show this is your current setting

Drive c: (SYSTEM) (Fixed) (Total:200 GB) (Free:10.82 GB) NTFS
Drive d: (DANE) (Fixed) (Total:731.41 GB) (Free:24.42 GB) NTFS

That means you have about 700GB of data that is your data on the D: drive. That is data you either downloaded or created in most cases.
Windows is on C: but notice it is 200GB and is down to 10GB of free space which means that Windows was out of space. You can use a smaller drive for Windows but personally I like to have or use at least a 500GB size so you don't have to worry about the Windows volume running out of space.

So you appear to have a 1TB drive that once it's formatted you probably get about 930GB give or take a few. So, if you do want to create a second partition I would create one at that point and use 400GB for it. Then don't format it or do anything else with it. Then highlight the remainder of the unallocated drive space and click Next to allow Windows to create and manage that drive to install Windows.

• Root Admin

REMINDER:    If you don't have that 700GB from the D: drive backed up to an external USB drive then you would lose ALL of that data if you delete the partitions. Make sure all data you want to keep is backed up to an external USB drive first.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information