Avast Premium conflict with Malwarebytes Premium

I am having some issues that has been ongoing.  I have a Dell all in one purchased late last year with Dell Premium Support.  I operate a Lifetime Subscription to Windows 10 Home.  I have Avast Premium and Malwarebytes Premium installed.  I keep getting a BSOD.  The WhatsCrashed is pointing at one point to Avast.  I have read online that there can be conflicts when running both Avast and Malwarebytes in conjuntion.  I always have, with no issues.  However, Dell is focusing on an issue being generated with Avast.  I can find nothing online about how Avast is the issue.  I have two Acer, Windows 10 Home, using the same paid for subscriptions of Avast and Malwarebytes with no issues.  I know Avast covers virus, and I know what Malwarebytes covers.  How is there a possible conflict.  I am attaching screenshots.  Dell is saying to uninstall Avast.  Any ideas?  Also, the BSOD points to Windows issues as well as Wifi drivers.  All have been addressed.  Again, no issues with the same things on my other two systems.

Screenshot_11.png

Screenshot_10.png

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

2 hours ago, Cypresso said:

I have Avast Premium and Malwarebytes Premium installed.  I keep getting a BSOD. 

Please refer to this support article which lists several known applications which conflict with the Web Protection in Malwarebytes currently, which includes Avast.

2 hours ago, Cypresso said:

I have read online that there can be conflicts when running both Avast and Malwarebytes in conjuntion.  I always have, with no issues. 

You have been lucky in the past.

• Thanks 1

I have had Real Time turned off.  So, I looked at your link.  I have a paid subscription to Avast Premium.  I also have a paid subscription for Malwarebytes Premium.  The link you sent me to pretty much tells me and others that one can not run an antivirus and malwarebytes at the same time.  Both cover different aspects of the web protection and such.  So, one has to make a choice?  Run a program for virus or run a program for Malware......one or the other.  This is sad and it is sad there are conflicts that can not be ironed out.

Edited by Cypresso

18 minutes ago, Cypresso said:

that one can not run an antivirus and malwarebytes at the same time. 

I and a few hundred of my clients use Windows Defender active with Malwarebytes with no issues and no infections, I would know because I offer those clients free cleaning and not one has had an issue.

The issue is that Avast uses the same WFP API's that MS and Malwarebytes uses, thus the conflict.

The following links explain what the WFP APIs are and how it is used in applications as well as some info on how Web Protection in Malwarebytes works:

About Windows Filtering Platform
Windows Filtering Platform
About Windows Filtering Platform From Wikipedia
Understanding the Windows Filtering Platform

I hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any further questions or issues.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Okay, I have suspended Avast and simply am running Windows Defender and Malewarebytes.  Will update if any other issues arise.  It is amazing when I put into search "Avast conflict" & then "Avast" nothing came up in the search on the forums.

5 minutes ago, Cypresso said:

I have suspended Avast and simply am running Windows Defender and Malewarebytes. 

Is Defender actually on and running? By having Avast installed it will Disable defender.

What does the following screen show on your computer?

2021-04-30_01h17_26.png

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

@ZZWolf47

I know you are trying to give Avast users hope but,

Please refer to this support article which lists several known applications which can conflict with the Web Protection in Malwarebytes currently, which includes Avast.

It can change from one Avast or Malwarebytes to another.

As I mentioned as well in a previous post in this thread.

The issue is that Avast uses the same WFP API's that MS and Malwarebytes uses, thus the conflict.

The following links explain what the WFP APIs are and how it is used in applications as well as some info on how Web Protection in Malwarebytes works:

About Windows Filtering Platform
Windows Filtering Platform
About Windows Filtering Platform From Wikipedia
Understanding the Windows Filtering Platform

Edited by Porthos

10 minutes ago, ZZWolf47 said:

Yup I saw that. Have you asked if the people if they did what suggested above? It made my life easier since I did it. Keeps the 2 programs fighting with each other since they are on each programs ignore list.

Some times it does not work. Although Malwarebytes does try to maintain compatibility, Malwarebytes is an AV replacement in Microsoft's eyes thus lets Malwarebytes register in the Windows security center. Which will actually turn off Windows Defender unless a switch is turned off in Malwarebytes.

I personally believe (with 100's of client computers to back that up) that Malwarebytes and Defender when set properly are just as good as the other big name AV's out there.

Now with the Browser Guard add-on and Malwarebytes also owns Windows Firewall Control, It can be a full package.

Edited by Porthos