Hi guys,

Long story short, I discovered that my email account was compromised, and really couldn't figure out how. I have been really careful about what I click and download, and the password was unique to this account (never accessed the account using public wifi either). I also have both paid antivirus program and Malwarebytes premium installed. BUT, I did download and install a few data recovery programs not long ago, which were all uninstalled not long ago too. I did check if those softwares were reputable and scanned them with antivirus program before installing. There was no indication that those softwares were a problem back then.

I've run multiple scans with the antivirus program and Malwarebytes premium, and nothing bad came up. At the moment, I'm just quite paranoid, and fear that my system is still infected. Any help will be appreciated!

malwarebytes report.txt AdwCleaner[S03].txt

• Root Admin

Hello @galaxyeddy

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Root Admin

I don't see any obvious infections in the logs but I do see that the following program has multiple faults in the Event Logs. You may need to add exclusions in McAfee or other security software if it's conflicting and causing the fault.

Spybot - Search & Destroy 2

Most computer experts no longer recommend the use of CCleaner but the choice is yours. Builtin tools of Windows 10 can manage most of it on it's own.

@AdvancedSetup

Thanks so much! I assume my system is OK now. And would this farbar tool tell you anything about those data recovery softwares I installed and later uninstalled? Was it possible that some malware was mixed in them and caused some data breach, and somehow got uninstalled when I uninstalled the data recovery programs? I know this sounds like a stupid question lol, and I assume a malware won't just let itself be uninstalled easily. And the fact that neither of my antivirus/malware softwares detected anything probably meant that there was never anything? I know you guys won't be able to detect why my account was compromised, but I just want to rule out if it's caused by an virus/malware. 

And thanks a lot for the advice, I'll look into it. 

• Root Admin

No, data breaches are often performed on the remote server not your own system. The best way to prevent that is to always remember to never use the same password on more than one site. That way if a site does get compromised they don't have access to any of your other sites and you only need to change one password.

You can input your email on this site and they will check to see if any sites you've signed up for before have been compromised.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Scan your system with your McAfee antivirus and it too should come up clean.

Thanks

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you