Jump to content

Memory leak


Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

Recommended Posts

  • Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

  • For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler
 
 
 
 
Spoiler

 

 

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

 

 

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

  • Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

 

 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry the software isn't working properly but we'll do our best to help.

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

  1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff

It is possible that this is due to the scheduled scan running in the background as it uses a lot of system resources.  According to your logs, the last scheduled scan started at 4-24-2021 at 17:35:07 which would be around 5:35PM.

By default, the scheduled scan is set to run at midnight, however if the system is not running at that time or Malwarebytes is not running in the background, the scheduled scan will instead run as soon as Malwarebytes is running again, meaning whenever you start your PC.  You can adjust the time for the scan to run at a time when your system will be on and when you will not need it to run any intensive tasks or you may delete the scheduled scan and run it manually on your own if you wish.

Details on using the scan scheduler can be found in this support article.  If you look under Advanced you will find the option If missed, scan at next opportunity; this is the setting that controls whether or not missed scans run automatically as soon as Malwarebytes is available.

Please try either changing the time for the scan, or disabling the option for it to run missed scans at the next opportunity to see if that eliminates the issue, and if so, then adjust the time of your scheduled scan accordingly so that it does not interfere with the times you need to use your PC.

Please let us know if that resolves the issue or if you continue to experience performance problems with Malwarebytes.

Thanks

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, exile360 said:

It is possible that this is due to the scheduled scan running in the background as it uses a lot of system resources.  According to your logs, the last scheduled scan started at 4-24-2021 at 17:35:07 which would be around 5:35PM.

By default, the scheduled scan is set to run at midnight, however if the system is not running at that time or Malwarebytes is not running in the background, the scheduled scan will instead run as soon as Malwarebytes is running again, meaning whenever you start your PC.  You can adjust the time for the scan to run at a time when your system will be on and when you will not need it to run any intensive tasks or you may delete the scheduled scan and run it manually on your own if you wish.

Details on using the scan scheduler can be found in this support article.  If you look under Advanced you will find the option If missed, scan at next opportunity; this is the setting that controls whether or not missed scans run automatically as soon as Malwarebytes is available.

Please try either changing the time for the scan, or disabling the option for it to run missed scans at the next opportunity to see if that eliminates the issue, and if so, then adjust the time of your scheduled scan accordingly so that it does not interfere with the times you need to use your PC.

Please let us know if that resolves the issue or if you continue to experience performance problems with Malwarebytes.

Thanks

Hi

I disabled scheduled scans.

Pc been up for few hours,

looking good ram usage is normal.

Hopefully this issue gets fixed in future.

Thank you Porthos and exile360

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff

You're welcome, I'm glad we could help.  Unfortunately, performing a scan does require a lot of system resources, but as long as you don't run out of RAM completely, it shouldn't impact your system's performance much.  The CPU usage is what affects system responsiveness and performance more than anything, and scans definitely use a lot of CPU (though scheduled scans do run in the background so they use somewhat less resources than scans run manually, however scheduled scans can still have a large performance impact on systems with fewer cores/slower CPUs).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, exile360 said:

You're welcome, I'm glad we could help.  Unfortunately, performing a scan does require a lot of system resources, but as long as you don't run out of RAM completely, it shouldn't impact your system's performance much.  The CPU usage is what affects system responsiveness and performance more than anything, and scans definitely use a lot of CPU (though scheduled scans do run in the background so they use somewhat less resources than scans run manually, however scheduled scans can still have a large performance impact on systems with fewer cores/slower CPUs).

True, but this is the first time in 10years that this kind problem come up.

In early days there was some problems with windows explorer integration but nothing serious.

Maybe newest win update have something to do with the excess mem usage.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff

That is possible, the RAM usage can vary greatly, and also depends on how many other processes and threads are loaded into memory (because Malwarebytes has to scan them all, along with many of the files on the system).  The size of Malwarebytes' databases and number of signatures they contain can also affect the amount of RAM it uses, so it can change somewhat between signature updates depending on the signatures that have been added to or removed compared to the previous scan.

Windows updates and other software, even drivers, can also all have an impact on system performance and memory usage.

The amount of RAM being used in the images you posted does seem excessive though, so please do keep an eye on it and let us know if the issue returns.  If so, capturing a memory dump of the Malwarebytes Service process (MBAMService.exe) may help for troubleshooting purposes.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff

FYI, I am recommending that the issue you've reported be passed on to the Dev and QA teams for further analysis and investigation just in case there is some kind of bug or conflict going on here with the software during scans on your system.

I do not know if any further info will be needed from you or not, but I just wanted to let you know.  If additional details are needed someone from the team will post here to request them from you.

Thank you for reporting this issue.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @zedhr

Can you please repost your MBST grab log. The current logs show they're no longer available.

Thank you

 

Hi

I dont have those file anymore but

if the problem comes up again i will repost them here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff

If you don't mind, please go ahead and run the tool to create another set of logs and attach the resulting ZIP file here.  Even if you aren't currently experiencing the issue, they might help the Developers and QA team in replicating and troubleshooting the issue.

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

 

  • Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

The logs show that both Malwarebytes and Firefox Maintenance task are both faulting over and over.

You also have a locked, zero byte file for the following

FCheck: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vmcompute.exe [2021-04-22] <==== ATTENTION (zero byte File/Folder)

It's possible it's in use and thus the FRST program is unable to access it properly. Do you use the Microsoft Virtual Hyper-V on your system?

 

Let's go ahead and run some generic clean up and see if that corrects your issues or not

 

 

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

  • Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

The logs show that both Malwarebytes and Firefox Maintenance task are both faulting over and over.

You also have a locked, zero byte file for the following

FCheck: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vmcompute.exe [2021-04-22] <==== ATTENTION (zero byte File/Folder)

It's possible it's in use and thus the FRST program is unable to access it properly. Do you use the Microsoft Virtual Hyper-V on your system?

 

Let's go ahead and run some generic clean up and see if that corrects your issues or not

 

 

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

  • Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt 1.69 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks

 

Hi

I had Hyper-v on but i turned it off in windows features and in bios.

Here is fixlog

Fixlog.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Thank you for the log @zedhr

Can you please do the following?

 

  • Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click the CLEAN button and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall Malwarebytes
  • NOTE: Please have patience as it can take a while to remove and reinstall. The computer will restart to complete

After the restart please do the following

  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

 

Thank you

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Thank you for the log @zedhr

Can you please do the following?

 

  • Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click the CLEAN button and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall Malwarebytes
  • NOTE: Please have patience as it can take a while to remove and reinstall. The computer will restart to complete

After the restart please do the following

  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

 

Thank you

 

 

mbst-clean-results.txt mbst-grab-results.zip

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Please download HWiNFO the Professional System Information and Diagnostics program.
HWiNFO Portable for Windows

Unzip the program to its own folder such as: C:\HWiNFO
Go to the new folder and locate the file C:\HWiNFO\HWiNFO64.exe and double-click to run it.
Click the RUN button.
Ignore the update, click close.
Click on Save Report and choose HTML and click Next, then Finish
By default, it will create a new report named COMPUTER.HTM in the same folder as the program. C:\HWiNFO
Please zip that file and attach it to your next reply

Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.