MalwareBytes Browser Guard Keeps getting installed in Chrome !!

I uninstalled the entire MalwareBytes package from my computer, yet I keep getting messages saying that it is trying to install MalwareBytes Browser as an Extension.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.  YOUR SOFTWARE HAS CORRUPTED MY MACHINE.

Hello. :welcome:

Something has gone awry. I need to get some detail reports.

Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64-bit and save it to your desktop.

Right-click on FRST64.exe and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.

Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the *disclaimer* appears in FRST.

The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).

Press Scan button and wait.

The tool will produce 2 logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 

Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you.

Hello. Thanks for the FRST reports. I am not seeing the MB Browser guard listed as installed.

Neither do I see that Malwarebytes for Windows installed.

You mentioned you saw some sort of prompt on Chrome.

Let's do a few things to clear cache & to beef up Chrome.

[ 1 ]

Use Chrome browser to go to https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync

and sign into your account.

Scroll down until you see the "reset sync" button and click on the button

At the prompt click on "Ok".

[ 2 ]

for Chrome, while Chrome is running:

Press & hold SHIFT+CTRL+Del keys on keyboard to get menu for clearing browsing data:

Check mark the line "Browsing history"

Check mark the line "Download history"

Check mark the lined "Cached images and files"

and press Clear Data button ( in blue )

[ 3 ]

After that, make real sure that Chrome is "NOT" set to reload the pages from the last session

Go into the settings menu of Chrome by first clicking the control icon of Chrome on upper right of the adress bar

Then look deeper in SETTINGS

Make real sure it is "NOT" set to "continue where you left off"

[ 4 ]

See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera.

Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".

• 4 weeks later...

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you