Malwarebytes Privacy will not connect

Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

Hello,

I just reset my computer today and downloaded Malwarebytes and Malwarebytes Privacy for the first time. Malwarebytes appears to be running fine. When I tried to run Privacy and click 'connect', I get an error message (see attached picture). I have also attached the log from the Malwarebytes Support Tool. Any help getting it running would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Malwarbytes Privacy error message.png

mbst-clean-results.txt

1 minute ago, ABunny said:

Hello,

I just reset my computer today and downloaded Malwarebytes and Malwarebytes Privacy for the first time. Malwarebytes appears to be running fine. When I tried to run Privacy and click 'connect', I get an error message (see attached picture). I have also attached the log from the Malwarebytes Support Tool. Any help getting it running would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Malwarbytes Privacy error message.png

mbst-clean-results.txt 31.35 kB · 0 downloads

Just realized I added the wrong file. 

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Root Admin
Posted (edited)

Hi there @ABunny

Okay, let's start out by having you use the MBST tool to do a Clean Removal of all Malwarebytes software under the Advanced option.

The program will ask if you want to reinstall Malwarebytes. Please choose no and do not let it reinstall at this time.

Then have the MBST tool gather new logs and post that back here and I'll follow up with more clean up procedures.

Thank you

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information
  • Root Admin

Thank you @ABunny

Please go into Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features and uninstall the following.

Malwarebytes Privacy
Malwarebytes Privacy VPN Tunnel Driver

Please temporarily change your DNS server to Google Public DNS

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

After you have uninstalled the two above items, make sure your restart the computer. Then run the fix below.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Argh, I researched how to change the DNS but then forgot to change it and restart before I ran the fixlist.txt file (never do computer work while dealing with fighting children beside you). After the fixlist finished I changed the DNS to Google Public DNS, restarted and tried to run the fixlist again. I got the message in the screenshot. There was no new file on the desktop to attach. I'm sorry I failed to follow your instructions after you were so kind to write the fix for me. I haven't reinstalled Malwarebytes, but it says it's still running in the browser although I can't see the program running on the computer. Please let me know what next steps to take. Should I try to reinstall Malwarebytes? 

FRST no fixlist found.png

I had a feeling I hadn't turned off all the Microsoft anti-virus software (I hadn't), so I went through the steps again and downloaded the fixlist.txt file again (into the same folder as the FRST). When the computer restarted, I actually saw some messages during bootup that appeared like it was fixing something. You have mentioned above that it would wipe out all the saved passwords, but it hadn't, because when I opened this bookmark, my login details were provided so I could log in. I've attached the only fixlog file that is in the folder where the FRST was. From the timestamp, it appears to be from the fixlist I just ran. I really hope this was done correctly. I still don't see Malwarebytes (virus, not the Privacy) in the tray of running programs, but the browser says it is running. 

Fixlog.txt

• Root Admin

Sorry for the delay @ABunny - I was out sick on Friday

The fix log looks pretty good. Let me get some updated logs please and I'll try to check on them tomorrow if I can but if not then on Monday.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop or if you still have the program then run it and click on Scan

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Thank you @ABunny

Please save the attached FIXLIST.txt file to the same location as the FRST program as before. Then run FRST and click on the FIX button and let it run and restart the computer.

fixlist.txt

Then after the restart click on Start menu and type in Device Manager and run that. Then scroll down and open the Network Adapters and take a screen shot of it and post back with the FIXLOG.txt file please.

Thanks

• Root Admin
Posted (edited)

Thank you for the logs. It looks like there are still a couple of left over entries we need to remove.

Please save the attached FIXLIST.txt file as before to the same location as the FRST program. Then open FRST and click on the FIX button.

Then post back the new FIXLOG.txt file.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information