False positive PowerISO.exe

shadybits

• 1 year later...

I installed Poweriso from a reputable site I have trusted for years.  M....  G....

MBAM popped and it was correct. It's been a while and I have since recovered an image.

However, I saw this while browsing and it is true that Poweriso is a disaster. It voided my Windows security. Disabled many security features and caused a lot of havoc. I apologize for not saving the information but I never thought I would see this thread. I wish I knew how to advise others. It's great for fixing corrupted flash drives but not at the cost of horrible infection.

2 hours ago, Peterr2 said:

I installed Poweriso from a reputable site I have trusted for years.  M....  G....

You need to read the warnings on each program you download from Major geeks.

Power ISO is Ad supported. It is legitimate software if downloaded there or the official site.

image.thumb.png.05e4b23ea6a6803376b4127ce04fc829.png

Edited by Porthos

I am only an average user but in the 20 years I have used Windows and formatted flash drives I have seen degrees of 'ad supported'.

This was a rare exception, as my OS went wild disabling Window security and more. I understand ad supported but the degree that this occurred was more like malware.

I think most users downloading it would regret doing so.

4 minutes ago, Peterr2 said:

as my OS went wild disabling Window security

If, like the disclosure on MG, it installed Avast that alone will disable Defender/Windows security. Just as any AV should.

Whenever any program states Ad supported on MG, I avoid it like the plague anyway.