Cannot run Anti-malware software without crashing computer.

Hi @AdvancedSetup

My laptop is a Toshiba SATELLITE L500-1UU. It's definitely a very old laptop, since I've owned it for well over a decade.

However, the reason I don't think it's a hardware issue is because of how erratically the keys work. They work perfectly fine some days and then completely stop working for the next few days. Sometimes they both stop working simultaneously, sometimes one works while the other doesn't. And occasionally, there's also a problem where some keys produce a double when pressed once. This happened with my "k" and "p" keys. (Although it doesn't happen that often).

If it was a problem with the keyboard, you'd expect it stop working completely or at least work when you press the key. But obviously, with this laptop's age, hardware issues can't be ruled out, so I'd be grateful if we could decide which it is.

Addition.txt FRST.txt

• Root Admin

Can you send me a Private Message with the serial number of the unit please.

Would you happen to have the original Windows installation DVD from Toshiba?

Please download HWiNFO the Professional System Information and Diagnostics program.
HWiNFO Portable for Windows

Unzip the program to its own folder such as: C:\HWiNFO
Go to the new folder and locate the file C:\HWiNFO\HWiNFO64.exe and double-click to run it.
Click the RUN button.
Ignore the update, click close.
Click on Save Report and choose HTML and click Next, then Finish
By default, it will create a new report named COMPUTER.HTM in the same folder as the program. C:\HWiNFO
Please zip that file and attach it to your next reply

Thank you

• Root Admin

Yes, thank you.

If you input your serial number on this support page you should be able to find the drivers for your computer.

https://emea.dynabook.com/support/my-product/laptops/

The odd part is they don't offer Windows 8.1 x32 driver, only x64 drivers.

They do have a much newer BIOS though that you could try to install and see if that helps resolve any issues. But, it is potentially dangerous due to the age. If anything happened the computer could possibly never boot up again.

We can try to do some more clean up and see if that helps but I would doubt it.

I didn't see a keyboard driver specifically for it, but they do have a "hardware setup" file which might include such a driver.

I choose the Windows 7 x32 drivers since they don't have x32 for Windows 8

image.png

Do you have all of your personal data backed up to an external drive?

• Root Admin

I don't know. In general a Windows 7 driver will often work for Windows 8 but no guarantee.

Your issues with the keyboard are not normal so was hoping to see if a reinstalled driver set might help, but they don't list one specifically for it.

With the computer being so old though I've seen old computers get stressed by installing drivers and have a hard drive or other device fail so I'm not all Gung ho to do a lot of driver or firmware updates as it could end up breaking the computer and making things worse.

You have the following errors in the Event Logs but they don't seem to be related to a keyboard issue

Application errors:
==================

Error: (05/01/2021 09:28:38 AM) (Source: Software Protection Platform Service) (EventID: 8198) (User: )
Description: License Activation (slui.exe) failed with the following error code:
hr=0xC004F074
Command-line arguments:
RuleId=eeba1977-569e-4571-b639-7623d8bfecc0;Action=AutoActivate;AppId=55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f;SkuId=c06b6981-d7fd-4a35-b7b4-054742b7af67;NotificationInterval=1440;Trigger=NetworkAvailable

Error: (05/01/2021 09:28:28 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-LocationProvider) (EventID: 2006) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: There was an error with the Windows Location Provider database

Error: (05/01/2021 09:27:53 AM) (Source: Software Protection Platform Service) (EventID: 8198) (User: )
Description: License Activation (slui.exe) failed with the following error code:
hr=0xC004F074
Command-line arguments:
RuleId=eeba1977-569e-4571-b639-7623d8bfecc0;Action=AutoActivate;AppId=55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f;SkuId=c06b6981-d7fd-4a35-b7b4-054742b7af67;NotificationInterval=1440;Trigger=UserLogon;SessionId=1

Error: (05/01/2021 09:22:38 AM) (Source: Software Protection Platform Service) (EventID: 8198) (User: )
hr=0xC004F074
Command-line arguments:
RuleId=eeba1977-569e-4571-b639-7623d8bfecc0;Action=AutoActivate;AppId=55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f;SkuId=c06b6981-d7fd-4a35-b7b4-054742b7af67;NotificationInterval=1440;Trigger=NetworkAvailable

Error: (05/01/2021 09:22:13 AM) (Source: Software Protection Platform Service) (EventID: 8198) (User: )
hr=0xC004F074
Command-line arguments:
RuleId=eeba1977-569e-4571-b639-7623d8bfecc0;Action=AutoActivate;AppId=55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f;SkuId=c06b6981-d7fd-4a35-b7b4-054742b7af67;NotificationInterval=1440;Trigger=UserLogon;SessionId=1

Error: (05/01/2021 09:11:10 AM) (Source: Office 2013 Licensing Service) (EventID: 0) (User: )
Description: Event-ID 0

Error: (05/01/2021 09:08:28 AM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: SDUpdate.exe, version: 2.8.68.100, time stamp: 0x5ea5e0d1
Faulting module name: SDUpdate.exe, version: 2.8.68.100, time stamp: 0x5ea5e0d1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00005c92
Faulting process id: 0xe0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d73e3b723adf41
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDUpdate.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDUpdate.exe
Report Id: b0af0efb-aa2e-11eb-9b19-002258dd0e09
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Error: (05/01/2021 08:58:36 AM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: SDUpdate.exe, version: 2.8.68.100, time stamp: 0x5ea5e0d1
Faulting module name: SDUpdate.exe, version: 2.8.68.100, time stamp: 0x5ea5e0d1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00005c92
Faulting process id: 0xa98
Faulting application start time: 0x01d73e3a103eb9e5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDUpdate.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDUpdate.exe
Report Id: 5022cb61-aa2d-11eb-9b19-002258dd0e09
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

In some cases the browser is the one messed up and makes the system seem unresponsive. If you run Notepad do you still experience a keyboard issue?

It's after midnight for me and I've been off work now for a few hours. I'm heading out but will try to check back on you again this weekend if I can.

Thanks

Hi @AdvancedSetup

Thanks for the clarification. Trust me, I'm in no hurry to break this laptop either, since I'll have to use it for the foreseeable future.

As for the error logs I might have a possible explanation : The version of Windows I'm using has not been activated yet. The reason is because it rejects the product key that I try to input, saying that it doesn't work. I've used several key finders and the keys I've inputted haven't worked. I'm not sure how much of this computer's functionality is damaged by that but it might be a possible explanation for the error logs you're seeing.

I did suspect the browser several times and I've cleaned Chrome more times than I can count but to no avail (I haven't turned on Sync in months so that doesn't seem to be the problem). The keyboard shows the same problem no matter where it's used. Notepad, Chrome and even in the BIOS (I tried seeing if the problem persisted in the BIOS setup and it did).

As for what we can do in the future, if there's nothing more we can do on the firmware or driver side, I'd be open to try and clean up the computer a bit more. I had a problem a few months back and cleaning up the laptop did seem to fix the problem, so if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to try and see if the problem is being caused by malware.

Thank You.

Hi @AdvancedSetup

Re-installing or reset the PC is going to be a no-go. I've tried to do it several times but it requires a Windows Installation Media, which I'm not in a position to get and there's not other sign of one within this laptop. I recently refreshed this PC which led it partly return to its original settings but it didn't do much in the way of fixing my problems (exacerbated a few actually. The overheating issue and the being unable to use the mouse immediately after it starts up issue both started afterwards).

As for when exactly I got this version, I can't be fully sure. This was originally a Windows 7 laptop and then we upgraded it to Windows 8 when it was released, which if I remember correctly, was a less than successful launch. It was working fine then but after it started getting seriously overheated even when it was being used for relatively simple tasked. My dad gave it up for repairing but they couldn't do much. Around two years ago, I sat down and ran Windows Defender, which found and eliminated a few viruses. I also found that the viruses had stopped Windows from updating itself for almost 2 years (The earliest updates were dated from 2017), after which I forced Windows to update itself. This lead to the computer working perfectly for a while. Unfortunately, due to me being careless, I got infected while visiting a pirate site. That was when the computer started acting up but that was resolved pretty quickly. Everything started going wrong after that. At first it was just the "h" key not working and now it's like this.

• Root Admin

Well the computer does not appear to be infected but not being activated is going to cause issues. Running prated software will have undoubtedly caused issues too that cannot easily be corrected.

If you're unable to obtain a valid Windows License then you might look at trying to switch over to Linux. I know it's not super easy but if you're mainly only using Web browser, email, etc. than it's more than capable and not too difficult to run Linux.

Backup all your data to an external drive first or even use Macrium Reflect Free and make a complete image of your current system to the external drive in case you do want to restore it back.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/best-linux-distro-for-windows-users/

https://itsfoss.com/reasons-switch-linux-windows-xp/

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

Hi @AdvancedSetup

After reading through the links you gave, I think I'll stick with Windows. No offense, its just that I don't have the time or the effort to try and figure out how an entirely new OS works. Thank you for the suggestion though, I might try it out in the future.

Are you sure that there are no signs of infection ? 

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you