"Malwarebytes has stopped working” suddenly during updating definitions

Hello and sorry for long post!

I have a problem that I can’t figure on what to do and would like some help, hopefully this is the correct board/forum.
If not, sorry for the trouble, please point to the right one.
If is, I hope someone can make heads/tails of this!

As topic title says, I was doing my normal checking for updates/doing scans on my PC, wasn’t running anything at the time.

I walked away when it was updating the program’s (Malewarebytes Anti-Malware - Free v4.3.0) definition, came back and saw this error on the desktop:
"Malwarebytes has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program"

I was confused and hit ok, then tried to launch again, same error.
Right click, close program in taskbar, then Ctrl+alt+del to make sure wasn’t running and tried again, same error.
Even if I try to force stop and restart the app and/or my computer, same error.

I though it was program being messed up, so I backed-up the settings and downloaded the latest version, let it install and as soon as it’s done installing, I then get the same error message!

Even after restating the PC.

I have tried several things since:
* CCleaner to clean any temp files, then uninstalled Malewarebytes, restarted PC, re-ran cleaner, then tried to reinstall the program, but EVERYTIME I get the same error message after it’s done installing.
* Used the ‘Malwarebytes Support Tool’ to do a cleaning/reinstall a few times, even after restarting the PC, I get the same error when trying to run the program.
* Verified all my other anti-virus/maleware programs are up-to-date and then run a full scan for each of them, all come up clean!

I’m at a loss as to why this suddenly happened.
FYI: The ONLY thing I have done (installed/changed) on my PC was install a Steam game (recore), that’s it!

So now I’m here on this forum asking for help with my confusion.
* I’ve ran both ‘Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)’ and ‘MB-Check’ and have added them to this post.
* If I right click the program icon and 'check for updates' I get the same error message.

If need anything else, just ask and I’ll do my best to get you the info.
_
As of right now, Malwarebytes (Free v4.3.0) is in the taskbar, with an orange hazard sign with mouse over text of “A scan has never been run.’
I know this is not true since check for updates/run in regally, so I guess that’s there since I’ve done a full reinstall and can’t get it to run/start at all.

Help please and thank you!

mb-check-results.zip

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

1 hour ago, John135 said:

Used the ‘Malwarebytes Support Tool’ to do a cleaning/reinstall a few times

You used the wrong support tool. Use the following one. Diasble Avast fully this time before.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install.

Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

A new beta of Malwarebytes has been released which may fix this issue.  If you wish to try the beta, please open Malwarebytes and navigate to settings by clicking the small gear icon on the upper right.

Next, under the General tab, scroll down to the Beta updates section and enable the option beneath it called Get early access to the latest software and security features and confirm when prompted by clicking Enable Beta Application Updates.

Once that is done, scroll back to the top of the same tab and click the Check for updates button and allow Malwarebytes to download and install the update.

Once that finishes, restart your system and test to verify that the issue is now fixed.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

@Porthos:

Sorry I'm totally confused.

You said I used the wrong tool, then tell me to use something else instead and the link is to the 'Malwarebytes Support Tool ' the exact tool i just tried using since uninstalling it and used CCleaner to clean any traces of it and restart the PC and tried re-installing it again and still get the same error never worked.

@exile360:

Unfortunately I can't do this since I can't even open the program itself to get to the settings, I only get the exact same error message each time I try to access it at all.

Can't edit my post sorry:

@Porthos:

I tried what you said, disabled Avast and tried again with that link/article to follow, BUT 2 things happened:

1 - Step #9 never happened, It never asked to restart the PC, after it did some cleaning up, and said it removed all traces of the program, it then went into asking me what I was installing it on, and then started to download then install it.

2 - After it reinstalled, I then got the EXACT same error message 2 times in a row and it not responding

Now, I don't know what to do.

That's what I was afraid of.  Unfortunately, until they release a standalone installer for the new version/beta, you won't be able to update.

If you're willing, I do have a command line option you can try to get the beta installed which should resolve the issue.

Let me know if you want to give it a try and if so, I'll send you a message with instructions on how to do so.

Thanks

57 minutes ago, John135 said:

You said I used the wrong tool, then tell me to use something else instead and the link is to the 'Malwarebytes Support Tool ' the exact tool i just tried using

Your log was gathered by version mb-check log version:    3.1.10.1000

The current tool is mb-check log version:   1.8.4.8962021-04-01_18h59_05.png.bccf74262e1d891121535e868d15a998.png

Some how you got an old version.

I was hoping the current tool would help but alas it did not.

Edited by Porthos

THANK YOU!

That update fixed it, I don't know what it did, but it fixed it!!

I restarted my PC and all is still good, I also did a full scan.

All clean as I knew it was, but glad to see that result anyway.

I have to ask, even though I know I might not understand...any idea why this happened at all?

If it's too technical, I wont understand, just glad it's fixed and I can do my regular 1:1 HDD backup like I always do each month.

Thanks again for everyone that read and read/helped this topic!!