Why is WeatherBug being flagged as a PUP

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the AdwCleaner Help forum.
In order to help us assist you to resolve your issue, please post or attach your latest AdwCleaner log files with your post. https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039021593

Someone will reply shortly, but in the meantime here are a few resources which may help resolve your issue:

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

notify me.jpeg

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

mbst_get_started.jpg

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

• BillH99999 changed the title to Why is WeatherBug being flagged as a PUP

Hello @BillH99999:

Thank you kindly for the informative Malwarebytes AdwCleaner scan report file.

Before the Malwarebytes' developer/staffers commence a thorough analysis of that system's PUP issue, it is recommended you also attach a Malwarebytes Support Tool archive report file (mbst-grab-results.zip) in your next reply to this topic:

Please follow only steps 1 thru 8 of the Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs offline procedure and attach the resulting mbst-grab-results.zip archive file in your next reply to this topic for analysis.

In the meantime, you may wish to consider making a temporary Malwarebytes AdwCleaner Exclusions setting

Thank you.

Reference: Malwarebytes AdwCleaner guide

@1PW

Thanks for the reply.  I saw this but didn't see why I needed to do a complete support tool log for just what appears to be a false positive.  Is it really necessary?  I can provide it if it will really help determine if Weatherbug is really a PUP or not.

Bill

Hello @BillH99999:

In this individual instance, the data may make the process shorter and I'm certain all of us wish to make the jobs of the busy devs/staffers as easy as possible.

Thank you always for your patience and understanding.

Hiya BillH99999,

I am not employed by Malwarebytes but do give voluntary help at the Malware removal forum. I personally did have a look at weatherbug recently and decided against its use. Have a read at the following links from Weatherbug and other Partners Privacy Policies:

https://www.weatherbug.com/legal/privacy

https://www.weatherbug.com/partners/

https://www.arity.com/privacy/

https://public.tutela.com/TutelaPrivacyCharter.pdf

Regards,

Kevin..

@kevinf80

Thanks for the reply.  I have only installed it on my desktop pc.  I have not registered it or supplied any personal information.  I did not allow it to use my location.  So I'm not too worried about privacy.  

I really don't think it should be flagged as a PUP by Malwarebytes. 

I'm still waiting on a reply from staff.

Thanks,

Bill

• Staff

I cannot speak for the Research team as to why it is detected, however I do know that in the past it definitely was classified as PUP/adware/spyware by most security/anti-spyware/anti-adware vendors, though I do recall that they at least somewhat cleaned up their act some years back.  That said, I do not know what their current status is nor which security apps, if any, still classify it as PUP.

Neither Norton 360 not Malwarebytes Premium flags the program in any way.  Virus Total has 0 for engines detecting it.  The program displays no ads.  Not sure where the problem is.  On my machine only adwcleaner seems to have an issue with it.

Bill

• Staff

I believe it used to display ads as well as track browsing data, though again, that was several years back; I don't know why ADWCleaner is detecting it, but years ago Weatherbug was classified as adware/PUP by a lot of security vendors.  That was back when they installed a browser toolbar, redirected searches, and showed pop-up ads on the desktop as I recall.  Their software doesn't do those things any more and hasn't for a long time as far as I know.

• Staff
12 hours ago, BillH99999 said:

By the way, I see you are listed as staff now.  Did you go to work for them?  Didn't you  work for them once before?  They have hired a good support person!

Yep, I'm officially back with the company again, thanks 🙂

5 hours ago, jboursier said:

Hello,

This detection should no longer occur with the latest definitions update (If it still does, please make sure nothing blocks the updates).

Thanks for the report,

@jboursier

Most of the detections are gone but I am still getting this one which is part of the Weatherbug program I believe.

Bill

image1.jpg.013623a12d9c5a687c2e39da86b4bf9d.jpg

• Root Admin

It may be a false detection but warning for other users reading.

NOTE: This program installer from Weatherbug for the PC Desktop is from 2015 and is a terrible installer. If you end up installing it I highly recommend you make a new System Restore Point before doing so.

• Thanks 1

• Staff
On 3/29/2021 at 6:13 PM, BillH99999 said:

Most of the detections are gone but I am still getting this one which is part of the Weatherbug program I believe.

Bill

Hm thanks, indeed I delisted this element. Thanks for the report!