Continuous loop of WIndows updates?

Hello all,

just a question regarding an apparently endless loop of Windows updates:

I've been having this issue for about one week: when I close the system it says the usual "before shutting down, an update will be installed etc.." (I'm translating from another language, so words are not exactly the same but you get the gist). When closing, it says "configuring update"..

When I turn the pc on again it starts working on the updates (with the message "the pc will reboot multiple times"), it reaches about 15% and reboots.

After rebooting, a black screen displays the message saying something like "deleting the changes applied to the computer" ("Annullamento delle modifiche apportate al computer in corso" in my language) and then the pc loads as normal.

But when after some hours I turn it off, the whole thing starts again in an endless loop. So I don't know: 1) what it's trying to do? 2) whether it's really not managing to install it? 3) how to stop this circle?

I've scanned the pc with MalwareBytes, AVG and MB Anti-Rootkit, but found no malwares.

When using ProcessExplorer I sometimes find TrustedInstaller.exe with a score of 1/69 on VirusTotal, detected only by SecureAgeApex. Don't know if relevant.

By the way, what should I do with the information VirusTotal provides in the "Relations > execution parents" section? (see image attached) It links to a file with a 67/72 dectection score. I understand it's a file that might have generated the files I was searching...but should I be worried or not.

Sorry for requesting your help here, I would normally go to a local expert but I'm currently in "red zone" due to Covid which means I can't go out :(

Thanks for your valuable time and help!

parent.PNG

Can you please collect and upload as an attachment the diagnostic data using our MBST?

• Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  • Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Can you please collect and upload as an attachment the diagnostic data using our MBST?

• Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  • Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Sure, here you are

Thanks for your help!

mbst-grab-results.zip

2 minutes ago, PclPcl said:

Thanks for your help!

Drive c: (Windows) (Fixed) (Total:117.94 GB) (Free:18.33 GB) NTFS

You have very little free disk space available. Windows feature updates require more space than you have available.

Your 128gig SSD is not large enough unless you free up some more space.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

You have very little free disk space available. Windows feature updates require more space than you have available.

Your 128gig SSD is not large enough unless you free up some more space.

I Will try deleting some unnecessary apps over the weekend and see what happens. Games mainly, I guess.

Is there anything else I can do besides that?

Thanks for your help. The fact that you are doing it as volunteer in your spare time is admirable. May you have a nice weekend. All the best! 

Just now, Porthos said:

Do not attempt to upgrade again yet. After you clean up space, Get me a new set of logs so I can review. I will have further instructions for you.

So when I try to shut the pc down and the system wants to automatically update, what should I do?

17 minutes ago, PclPcl said:

So when I try to shut the pc down and the system wants to automatically update, what should I do?

While you are freeing up space also UNINSTALL AVG as well.

Then do a full disk clean.

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type disk cleanup, and select Disk Cleanup from the list of results.

2. Select the drive you want to clean up, and then select OK.

1. In Disk Cleanup, select Clean up system files.

2. Check all of the boxes

3. Select OK.

Then restart the computer and lets see what happens.

After the restart get me a new set of logs.

2021-03-19_12h23_21.png

2021-03-19_12h22_25.png

Edited by Porthos

• Root Admin

If possible and you can afford it, the best option would be to upgrade to a larger SSD hard drive. At least 512GB

Then you can make a choice. Either do a clean fresh install of Windows or imaging software to restore the current installation of Windows onto the new drive.

Either option really requires you to have access to an external USB drive of at least probably 1TB in size

Without upgrading the drive you're going to forever be fighting for space on this 128GB drive

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 6:26 PM, Porthos said:

While you are freeing up space also UNINSTALL AVG as well.

Then do a full disk clean.

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type disk cleanup, and select Disk Cleanup from the list of results.

2. Select the drive you want to clean up, and then select OK.

1. In Disk Cleanup, select Clean up system files.

2. Check all of the boxes

3. Select OK.

Then restart the computer and lets see what happens.

After the restart get me a new set of logs.

Hello,

I have deleted several garbage/unused files, and here is the new log: 

I should now have abou 48 gb free

mbst-grab-results.zip

12 minutes ago, PclPcl said:

I should now have abou 48 gb free

You missed the part about uninstalling AVG so do that next and restart. We do not want anything getting in the way.

Then, do the following.

Download the MediaCreationTool20H2

Run the tool and do the following.

When completed and successful, I have more for you.

2021-03-20_13h20_10.png

Edited by Porthos

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 7:22 PM, Porthos said:

You missed the part about uninstalling AVG so do that next and restart. We do not want anything getting in the way.

Then, do the following.

Download the MediaCreationTool20H2

Run the tool and do the following.

When completed and successful, I have more for you.

Hello Porthos. Apologies: I haven't been feeling well last few days.

Anyway, I uninstalled AVG as suggested and in the attchment you can find the new log.

I have downloaded and run MediaCreationTool, selected "Upgrade this pc" from there, I let it check everything, then it said "ready to install Windows 10", chose the "keep personal data and apps" option.

It downloaded the updates, but after the reboot the same writing appeared again "deleting the changes applied to the computer"

When the pc restarted, I got this message: (I've also attached a screenshot of this as well)

"0x8007001F - 0x20006

installation did not succeed in the SAFE_OS phase with error during the REPLICATE_OC operation"

perchè.PNG

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Root Admin

Hello @PclPcl

Please go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features and uninstall the following software

• CCleaner
  • Teams Machine-Wide Installer

Then stop AnyDesk from starting and loading
Then stop WatchGuard Mobile VPN with SSL from starting and loading
Then stop TeamViewer from starting and loading
Then stop MicroSIP from starting and loading
Then stop Steam from starting and loading

Why You Shouldn’t Download CCleaner for Windows Anymore
https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/why-you-shouldnt-download-ccleaner-for-windows-anymore/

Microsoft Windows 10 is warning users not to install CCleaner
https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-is-warning-users-not-to-install-ccleaner

Is CCleaner Safe? Not Quite. And We Show You How to Replace It
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stop-using-ccleaner-windows/

NEXT - Restart the Computer and then run the following fix.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

4 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @PclPcl

Please go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features and uninstall the following software

• CCleaner
  • a

https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/why-you-shouldnt-download-ccleaner-for-windows-anymore/

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-is-warning-users-not-to-install-ccleaner

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

fixlist.txt 3.96 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks

Hello,

thanks will try. 

Two quick questions:

a) I already uninstalled CC Cleaner. I guess that uninstalling Teams Machine Installer will only delete the installer programme, and Microsoft Teams should continue working? I need it for my job

b) when you say "Then stop "app X" from starting and loading" you mean turning off the "always start this app at pc start" function? because I can't find this option on this Windows version

thanks again

• Root Admin

Yes, the Team Installer shouldn't need to run every time and removing the entry should have no effect on the actual program running. But since you do use it then please IGNORE that removal.

Yes, you can use the Task Manger in Windows 10 nowadays under the STARTUP tab to disable start with Windows

Thanks @PclPcl

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Yes, the Team Installer shouldn't need to run every time and removing the entry should have no effect on the actual program running. But since you do use it then please IGNORE that removal.

Yes, you can use the Task Manger in Windows 10 nowadays under the STARTUP tab to disable start with Windows

Thanks @PclPcl

Thanks for the reply

Sorry again, but a doubt about the "place the fixlist.txt" in the same place where FRST is..

So far I've operated FRST through MB Support Tool which is placed in a folder, however there is no trace of anything named FRST inside that folder, the only thing called "FRST" is a folder in another path (C:)

So which of the two is the right path for the fixlist.txt file?

thanks again

11 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @PclPcl

• CCleaner
  • Teams Machine-Wide Installer

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Recycle Bin

fixlist.txt 3.96 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks

Hello and thanks again,

I have followed the steps, hopefully correctly, and here is the log file attached

Thanks again

Fixlog.txt

• Root Admin

Good, good.

Okay, once again run the Disk Cleanup utility. Type in the name on the Start menu and when it shows up right-click and select "Run as administrator"  (using your Italian language)

image.png

Pretty much scroll though the list and place a check mark on all items. Then click OK to run it.

image.png

Then say Delete Files to remove all those files

image.png

Then restart the computer one more time and run FRST again and click on the SCAN button and attach back both new log files please.

15 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Good, good.

Okay, once again run the Disk Cleanup utility. Type in the name on the Start menu and when it shows up right-click and select "Run as administrator"  (using your Italian language)

image.png

Pretty much scroll though the list and place a check mark on all items. Then click OK to run it.

image.png

Then say Delete Files to remove all those files

image.png

Then restart the computer one more time and run FRST again and click on the SCAN button and attach back both new log files please.

Here you are :)

thanks again for the excellent service

Addition.txt FRST.txt

• Root Admin

Okay, part of the earlier script I ran removed the "hidden" feature of AVG 

Please go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features and see if it will run. I do not expect it to run but it should give you an option to remove it from the list. If it does not then let me know.

AVG Update Helper

I'm not sure if the VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service) is having an issue or not, but it is logging an issue so best we check and try to fix that as well.

There are 2 tools listed here. I'd suggest probably running both tools just to be safe since you're having an issue updating Windows already.

The logs do not show that you have ANY System Restore Points. Please see if you can create a new System Restore Point and let me know.
If it does not work then recheck after running the VSS fix below.

Please download and run the following  Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), Diagnostic Tool, from Acronis

Acronis VSS Doctor

Free tool for diagnosing and repairing Volume Shadow Copy Service issues. Download link on the bottom of the page.
Download - Acronis VSS Doctor

In many cases, it can correct the issues on its own. If not, then it will give details on what may be causing the issues. Please save the report in text format and post back that log on your next reply.

You can also try the tool from Macrium Reflect if the Acronis tool did not work.

Macrium Reflect Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Repair Tool

Once you've run the repair tool you need to restart your computer.
Then check your Event Logs to see if the error was corrected. You can post new logs from FRST which will also show the Event Log entries 

If you don't have System Restore enabled then please take this time to enable it. If possible choose 10% of your C drive to store Restore Points.

System Restore disabled or greyed out? Turn On System Restore in Windows 10

Thank you

44 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Okay, part of the earlier script I ran removed the "hidden" feature of AVG 

Please go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features and see if it will run. I do not expect it to run but it should give you an option to remove it from the list. If it does not then let me know.

AVG Update Helper

I'm not sure if the VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service) is having an issue or not, but it is logging an issue so best we check and try to fix that as well.

There are 2 tools listed here. I'd suggest probably running both tools just to be safe since you're having an issue updating Windows already.

The logs do not show that you have ANY System Restore Points. Please see if you can create a new System Restore Point and let me know.
If it does not work then recheck after running the VSS fix below.

Please download and run the following  Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), Diagnostic Tool, from Acronis

Acronis VSS Doctor

Free tool for diagnosing and repairing Volume Shadow Copy Service issues. Download link on the bottom of the page.
Download - Acronis VSS Doctor

In many cases, it can correct the issues on its own. If not, then it will give details on what may be causing the issues. Please save the report in text format and post back that log on your next reply.

You can also try the tool from Macrium Reflect if the Acronis tool did not work.

Macrium Reflect Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Repair Tool

Once you've run the repair tool you need to restart your computer.
Then check your Event Logs to see if the error was corrected. You can post new logs from FRST which will also show the Event Log entries 

If you don't have System Restore enabled then please take this time to enable it. If possible choose 10% of your C drive to store Restore Points.

System Restore disabled or greyed out? Turn On System Restore in Windows 10

Thank you

Hi,

went to control panel, found "AVG Update Helper" and was able to remove it.

I ran both the Acronis and Macrium tools:

while running Acronis I got one issue (VSS Shadow Storage Status), see picture attached. Should I select "Yes" to the message that came up?

Ran Macrium without any special message.

After restarting the pc, I have new FRST logs: (attached)

About system restore: I followed the instructions contained in the last link of your post (control panel-system-system protection-protection settings) and see that C/System is listed as "On", so on paper it should be alright? If I go to "configure" I see that "Turn on system protection" is selected. Current use is 290,28 MB. Max. Usage is 10%.

acron.PNG

Addition.txt FRST.txt

18 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

For now, tell Acronis NO

We'll review that later. If you actually go to take, create a NEW Protection Restore Point does it work and complete?

I'll review your logs in just a moment

So, here you go with the 2 new FRST logs.

About Acronis: Tried running it again (because I'd accidentally misread one of your suggestions). Now it does not show any issue in the VSS Shadow Storages area. It does show some event log errors (see screenshot and I've also included a .txt)

About the restore point: followed the same control panel/system safety etc... path, there chose "Create a restore point", there I entered a random name and after a while it said creation was successful. So what did I just do with this dumb action? Can I undo that? I just entered a random name.

acro2.PNG

Addition.txt FRST.txt AcronisVSSDoctorReport_2021-03-29-23-27-55.txt