drivethelife.com blocked - outgoing from firefox.exe

• Root Admin

I've not used myself in a long time but I see nothing wrong with trying them. Though I do have my doubts that a bad chipset driver would be at fault. I typically find the opposite that sometimes hardware doesn't show properly from a missing chipset driver.

Make a new System Restore Point first though

• Root Admin

Okay, well it's way past my bed time so I'm heading out to get some sleep.

I would suggest you export your bookmarks. Then uninstall Firefox and reboot.

Then run FRST and SCAN and post back both new logs and I will review and give you another script to run tomorrow.

Thanks

• Root Admin

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

Actually, I'm thinking of just taking my computer to my local computer repair place to have it formatted (although I have heard of the Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit beta, if you think that might help). I just had another driver-related issue - my graphics card's fan briefly blew hard even though I wasn't running any games. This was one of the graphics card related issues I mentioned in my initial post. The last time it happened, it was happening basically daily, and I later had graphics driver timeouts. These problems briefly stopped following a Windows 10 update, but soon started again. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers helped for a while, but now the problems have begun to start yet again.

Come to think of it, these problems began around the same time I got the drivethelife.com block alerts - and also around the time my computer wouldn't start because the boot order had mysteriously changed (my hard drive is in the boot order twice, once with its name preceded with 'Windows Boot Manager' and once without it, and the one without it had gotten moved above the one with it in the boot order). I've read that there are rootkits that install themselves in the Master Boot Record. I think I may have malware that's causing drive issues and trying to get Firefox (and possibly any browser I use) to take me to a site that claims it can help.

So yeah, I'm thinking that maybe I should just take my computer in to get it formatted and have its Master Boot Record erased. Unless you think Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit might help?

• Root Admin

Hello @BiggerJ

At this point I think we're close to being done, but it you're still experiencing issues that cannot be easily resolved then backing up your private data to an external drive and then format and reinstall Windows might be a good option.

It's possible the video card is overheating or something like that too that a shop can check on if you feel more comfortable doing so.

Do you have access to another computer in the home?

The complexity of finding, preventing, and cleanup from malware
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/130154-the-complexity-of-finding-preventing-and-cleanup-from-malware/

• Root Admin

I would seriously doubt there is any issue with your data. I did not see anything that looked like it would attack your data

Once you do get the computer back, take a look at the following with ideas, methods to help protect your computer and privacy.

Make sure you work on a good backup solution

Cheers

• Root Admin

Yes, it's possible. Have the shop scan that drive too. But if you're talking about a small 8 or 16 GB thumb drive that's not enough space and very slow for backups.

Normally an external USB drive is like 1 or 2 TB in size to allow full backups of the entire c: drive.

I just remembered to say that I took my computer to the shop a couple of days ago. You can close this thread now. Thanks for everything anyway - I’m glad you tried to help.

To sum up the problem for Malwarebytes’ convenience: there’s malware that causes driver issues - and constantly undoes attempts at fixing those issues - and makes ads appear in Firefox (and probably other browsers) prompting the user to buy a solution from drivethelife.com.

Edited by BiggerJ

• Root Admin

Thank you for the feedback, but this has been a known PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program) since 2018

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/detections/pup-optional-drivethelife/

I would suspect that there was some other damage done and not just that software alone, but thank you for the follow up reply, greatly appreciated. 

Take care and stay safe out there

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you