Recurring Chromium URLs

Go to solution Solved by fklstv7,

Hi again. There is an indication that the PC had AVG antivirus in the past.  But there is at least one trace of it.

Please download, & Save & then run the AVG Clear tool to remove any remains of AVG antivirus.

https://www.avg.com/en-us/avg-remover

After that run completed, please be sure to RESTART the PC.

Thanks for running the Clear tool.  I simply needed the confirmation.

Please put aside the Adwcleaner tool. What we need to get is a more detailed new report.

Download OTL by OldTimer to your desktop: http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.exe

Close all open windows on the Task Bar. Click the icon  Right click the icon and Run as Administrator to start the program.

In the lower right corner, checkmark "LOP Check" and checkmark "Purity Check".

Now click Run Scan at Top left and let the program run uninterrupted. It will take  a few minutes.

It will produce two logs for you, one will pop up called OTL.txt, the other will be saved on your desktop and called Extras.txt.

Exit Notepad. Remember where you've saved these 2 files as we will need both of them shortly!

Exit OTL by clicking the X at top right.

Attach the report files OTL.txt; & Extras.txt

Once after you post the reports, I will study them & see what they list about your Chrome browser, other browsers, and any remains of the pesky PUP s.

Just kindly stop runs of Adwcleaner for now.  And be sure you know that screen grabs from ADW are not as useful as the actual run logs.

Again, these are just pesky PUP s but they are not malicious.

OTL reports first.  Then patience & wait for my guidance.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Here is what I surmise is interfering with the 'cleaning' attempts of Adwcleaner....that Kaspersky Security is active & running & leading to access blockage.

Just one time, Disable Kaspersky Security so that it is not active.

Then one time only, do a new run with Adwcleaner.

After that is run, you can then re-enable the Kaspersky.

Notes.  I will more than likely defer or rather, pass this case to a Malwarebytes company developer to handle your case.

This seems to be a stubborn & somewhat obtuse one.

Questions.  Did you use Chrome browser today or yesterday ?

Do you use Chrome on more than one machine of yours ?

How many have Chrome ?

Did you turn OFF the SYNC option at Google ?

Do that now & keep it OFF.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258886-chrome-secure-preferences-detection-always-returns/

Sounds good, I appreciate the effort. 

I use Chrome on this computer every day for work.

I use Chrome on my Chromebook as well, but much less often than on this desktop computer.

2 Devices use Chrome.

SYNC is off on this device, however it may have been on for the Chromebook. I did not see an option to turn SYNC off, so I selected "custom" and unchecked all of the boxes.

• Staff

Hello,

@fklstv7Can you confirm you followed the steps from Maurice's link above before using AdwCleaner, including the following:

• Next, open https://chrome.google.com/sync
        A Google login screen will be shown in your browser window.
  • Enter your Google username and password
        The "Data from Chrome sync" screen will be displayed to show basic information on  what information is being synchronized to the cloud
  • Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Sync or Clear Data

A window will be displayed to let you know that synchronization to Google’s cloud will now be stopped.