Malwarebytes for Mac 4.8 beta

• Staff

Malwarebytes for Mac 4.8.10 is now in beta. It includes a new CPU usage setting, that allows you to restrict the maximum CPU usage for the scan and real-time protection process (RTProtectionDaemon). If you're having issues with high CPU usage by RTProtectionDaemon, please give this new setting a try.

image.thumb.png.b7193c40ee7b1cd5d42f96a8753cba50.png

This release also fixes a bug where RTProtectionDaemon could crash, causing the infamous "Oops" error message.

To install the beta, simply do the following:

1. Open the Malwarebytes app
  2. Open the settings, by clicking the gear icon in the top right corner of the Malwarebytes window
  3. Select the General tab, if necessary
  4. Check the Beta Application Updates box, and verify that you really do want to turn that on
  5. Choose Check for Updates from the Malwarebytes menu, and install the update
  • Thanks 2

@treed

The problem of energy consumption continues to exist in a serious way.
It is to be understood if the problem is reproduced with BigSur only on the M1 chips or even on the x86 ones, because if the problem is only on the M1 I would like to say, but I am not a developer, that it may be due to the fact that it is run with Rosetta2, otherwise it could be an incompatibility problem with Big Sur (to understand if it must be solved by Apple or your staff) considering that the same version on a MacBook Pro 13 "Mid 2012 Non-Retina blocked on Catalina 10.15.7 seems not present the problem, or at least I didn't notice it.

• Staff

Have you tried setting CPU usage to Medium or Low? If so, is it actually having an impact on energy consumption? I'm not sure that I entirely trust Big Sur's reporting there, as I've seen apps reported in the battery menu as having high energy impact when Activity Monitor did not agree.

1 hour ago, treed said:

Have you tried setting CPU usage to Medium or Low? If so, is it actually having an impact on energy consumption? I'm not sure that I entirely trust Big Sur's reporting there, as I've seen apps reported in the battery menu as having high energy impact when Activity Monitor did not agree.

No, I haven't tried it yet.
I would like more information about what happens for what concerns the protection (not so much the scan that takes me 2/3 seconds) but for the real time one if I put a reduced CPU usage.

However, I have now noticed in the Activity Monitor that the high value is in the 12h POWER SUPPLY and not in the ENERGY IMPACT

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the subject and I would be interested, if possible, in having an explanation on it or at least a couple of links where I can read up.

I attach screenshots of Activity Monitor (energy tab) both total and only for the app Malwarebytes

737207244_Schermata2021-03-19alle16_07_20.thumb.jpg.690c3a74accd3a396a0227fc45922317.jpg1102048111_Schermata2021-03-19alle16_06_19.thumb.jpg.ca82f9fd109f90e43357e1a02637aedc.jpg

@treed @treed I await your update about it

Thank you

Good evening (at least in Italy)

Massimiliano B.

• Staff

If you don't change the CPU usage setting, there won't be any difference between this version and the last, as far as CPU usage from the RTProtectionDaemon process. If you're having RTProtectionDaemon issues, I'd recommend throttling it down to either Medium or Low.

This can cause RTP detections to happen slightly slower, but it's very slight.

23 hours ago, treed said:

I'm not sure that I entirely trust Big Sur's reporting there, as I've seen apps reported in the battery menu as having high energy impact when Activity Monitor did not agree.

@treed  considering the last screenshots, which I posted above (post 1445852) and what you said in the sentence I quoted, can it be considered a false positive anomalous consumption report, in your opinion?

Do you recommend that I report to Apple Feedback as a user? (hoping they solve the problem)

Thanks

Have a good Week-End

Massimiliano

Hello @treed:

I have opened ticket number 3411438.

To the ticket I have attached MWB_info.zip and 2 screenshots files that document what I experienced with the RTProtection Daemon when I woke my MBP11,3 from sleep while v4.8.10 beta was installed and no other apps running.

I would be happy to try the current beta again or another beta if additional data is desired.

BTW, v4.8.10 beta's manual threat scan took about 3 minutes when the new CPU usage High button was selected.  The scan time goes about 13 minutes when the Low button was selected.

While falling back to the release version, I followed the Uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes for Mac document closely.  However, the utility seemed to finish with, few notifications, and did not offer to reinstall v4.7.9.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW