Sign in to follow this  
hello2007

video card help

ok i need help here. My monitor has a vga and dvi-d connector. Its a 24+1 pin connector and most video cards have dvi-i connectors with 24+5 pins so i can only use these cards with a dvi-i to dvi-d converter but will that diminish the quality of the video card if used with a converter and if so will it be by alot?

You'd most likely not notice the difference. Which video card are you going with? Most of the modern cards (particularly the ones I pointed you to), should have DVI-D.

im still shopping online off and on untill i find one at a good price. None that i have seen have dvi-d just dvi-i. Even the ones you showed me. Im looking for a hd most that are really expensive i dont need since i dont want to spend that much money and i dont game on my computer just interested in movies and surfing the net

You don't need DVI-D anyway then. DVI-D (or dual-link DVI) is only used for extremely high resolutions as far as I know. Besides that, as I understand it any DVI port that can convert to HDMI (including audio stream), which the one on the 4550 can, would be a fully digital port. Perhaps there's a difference in the number of connectors, but I doubt it. Have you also checked the pinout on your monitor? Remember, you're going from VGA to DVI, either type of DVI will give you higher bandwidth than VGA.

edit: here's a closeup of the DVI port on the 4550:post-2103-1255761067_thumb.png

yes my monitor is 24+1 dvi-d the ones i been seeing on video cards are dvi-i 24+5 so i would need a converter. I think the reason why dvi-i is so much more popular and used more is because it transmits video and audio while dvi-d transmits only video

edit: yes vga sucks whenever you here vga run lol

Ok, I found an image of the various port types for DVI, all labeled, but it's larger than I'd want to place inline so here's the link: http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachments...ector_types.gif

DVI-D has fewer pins (as you stated), but I'm still pretty sure that it would connect. As far as I know Apple Cinema displays use DVI-D and I have a 23" Cinema display connected to my DVI port with no convertor (the cable is built into the monitor) and it displays perfectly at its native resolution (1920x1200 @60hz) and looks beautiful. I'll do some more research on the ATI ports and get back to you with my results.

maybe your right exile but i searched dvi converters and they do exist and so they must exist for a reason. I hope your right though, i dont want to use a converter with a new video card if i dont have too

Can I connect my ATI card using the DVI-I port to an LCD monitor with the DVI-D port?

I have the ATI X850XT PE AGP card which has the DVI-I port and want to connect it to the Samsung 244T using the DVI-D port. Does anyone see any problems with this?

That will be fine, as DVI-I can transmit both analogue and digtal signals, and your DVI-D port can (only) recieve digtal signals. Your graphics card wll have no trouble connecting to DVI-A (analogue) monitors either, but you may only connect DVI-I or DVI-D inputs to your monitor.
From here

Also note that the 4550 (and I believe all ATI cards in the 4000 series range with DVI ports) supports HDCP, which has a DVI-D requirement for the GPU and the monitor so if it was only sending an analogue signal it wouldn't function with HDCP media (such as Blu-ray and HD-DVD).

• Two integrated DVI display outputs

• Primary supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI) or 2560x1600 (dual-link DVI)2

• Secondary supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI only)2

• Each includes a dual-link HDCP encoder with on-chip key storage for high resolution playback of protected content3

From here

I could be wrong about all this, but I've found nothing about any video card supporting just DVI-D. I'll have to check the AV (Audio-Video) forums for that, which I will do, but I think the ATI connectors are universal.

Yes, as far as I can tell the convertors are for older cards. Ever since ATI started doing these "universal" DVI ports they use, I think they became unnecessary, at least for ATI :D . I do recall that ATI's old DVI ports on their cards years back were different and had fewer pins, but I think these are set for all types of DVI.