Kaspersky vs Malwarebytes

That's why now I no longer use any AV software but a HIPS with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware as on demand scanners. So far, 0 viruses.

kaixi, do you scan for viruses using online scanners as offered by Panda, Eset and Trend on a regular basis?

How would you know that your system is virus-free otherwise?

However, an antivirus still must always be your first line of defense. Please install an antivirus as soon as possible! Malwarebytes is designed to complement your antivirus, not replace it. :D

My personal preference is for Microsoft Security Essentials and MBAM, but as a company we always recommend AntiVir (they are pretty much the best).

You'll have to forgive me, as my Internet connection died, and I am typing this on a Palm Pre (browser on this thing is somewhat retarded).

Muse "...can't possibly have a forum deity of the Moderators' class appearing in public with a dead connection. Don't look good for his or MBAM's image. :)

Plug him back into life!..." :D

Real life resumes... :D

@ GT500

I've heard that the MSE is quite good :D However, I heard that it can be incompatible (I think I may have seen that somewhere on the forum here) or hard to run with MBAM? Is that correct?

Avira, yes, I've heard that it and Kaspersky is pretty much the best as well as MSE recommendation from you :D

Guest remixed

I like to surf with no protection whatsoever, that way nothing gets in the way of getting infected. BTW this is for my test box :D

For every day 'computing' i've finally severed my long standing love/hate relationship with Kaspersky (since version 5). In my view the product has deteriorated to the point of barely 'fit for purpose' (and the worst service i've encountered). Bitdefender's detection is good but it never seems able to remove what it finds. Avast gets better and better, so i use the two together. It's called GData. It works well with MBAM, has limited FP's, unlike Avira (which also suffers constant updating problems) but it's not free :D

I am with you remixed as I like avast! and I am running avast! beta5 on Windows 7 and it works well. The free Avira Full page advert drove me nuts and now I have a small popup in the lower right of the screen announce that the reference file has been updated and a pleasant female voice announce this as well that can be disabled if I like.

Muse "...cant possibly have a forum deity of the Moderators' class appearing in public with a dead connection. Don't look good for his or MBAM's image. :)

Plug him back into life!..." :blink:

Real life resumes... :D

Sometimes my Internet Service Provider does not like to do their job. This time it was more related to some storms and misty weather we had. Got into the equipment and caused some issues apparently.

I've heard that the MSE is quite good :) However, I heard that it can be incompatible (I think I may have seen that somewhere on the forum here) or hard to run with MBAM? Is that correct?

I've never had a single issue with either, and I have been running them together since the first beta of MSE was released. Of course, I was running them on Vista x64, and am now running them on Windows 7 x64, so I cannot say exactly what would happen in a 32-bit edition of Windows, or on Windows XP. I just know that I have not seen issues on the helpdesk (although admittedly I don't see anywhere near all of the tickets).

Avira, yes, I've heard that it and Kaspersky is pretty much the best as well as MSE recommendation from you :)

I used to line them up in the following order:

* AntiVir

* NOD32

* Kaspersky

Now that MSE is out, I rank it after AntiVir. It has rather surprisingly impressed me (and note that traditionally I am a Microsoft hater, so this came as a huge surprise to me) with it's detection rate. It is also free. This might make it better than the free version of AntiVir, but I'd have to do some serious testing before I was willing to go that far in my promotion of MSE. :)

@ GT500

Thanks for your reply :D Good to know! Hmmm. Yeah, I was surprised at the likings of MSE on here, considering some other Microsoft products, but it seems great so far!

If you ever do any of that extensive testing on MSE, let me know what your results are, I'd be interested to know :blink:

I already installed MSE a few days back.

I like the Lite Footprint, Simple GUI & Quick scan features. Moreover it's free. There are no frills, bells or whistles.

I will leave the extensive testing part to the experts.

But here is the interim report (mainly focused) on compatibility issues with other Sec. softs/Browsers installed in my this system:

MBAM_Paid

SAS_Pro.

WinPatrol Plus

Ad Muncher

USB Disk Security

Windows Defender

IE

Firefox

Opera

I found there are no conflicts/issues between MSE & the above progs.