Random file that changed not sure if its malicious

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

No, that is a valid detection. It's okay to allow Defender to correct it. Different programs modify the Defender settings as that's part of how it works in conjunction with other security programs.

• Root Admin

Yes, that is fine. Please run the following and it will scan it and should come up with the same entry to fix unless you've already fixed it.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Please let me know the results of this scan.

The log is named MSERT.log 

the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your next reply.

• Root Admin

These are all normal files to have on the computer. They've been around since Windows XP

I tried to locate an article that explains them in detail but was not able to find one.

As you can see - I have these files too and this is a reasonably new installation of Windows 10

image.png

All is good. Don't get caught up on all these files and folders and get yourself going down the rabbit hole thinking things are suspicious or bad. Windows is a complex OS and unfortunately most of the files, folders, and registry entries are either not documented or poorly documented.

• Root Admin

#1 thing to remember. BACKUP YOUR DATA and make sure you don't keep the external drive connected all the time. If you do and the computer does get attacked by some type of encryption threat you could lose all your data.

Backup Software
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/136226-backup-software

Macrium Reflect discussion
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/264011-backup-files-software-which-one-to-choose-2020/?tab=comments#comment-1408188

Okay, I have to get some rest before getting up for work. Have a good night and unless there is something else I'll go ahead and close your topic in the morning.

Take care

Posted (edited)

Hello I’m back I’m going to reset my pc because the problems came back do I have to do anything else besides saving my important files?

Edited by cynofiy
Spelling

I woke up today to join my class and everything was slow and I noticed that my OneDrive had problems connecting and so I thought OneDrive is out of date but it wasn’t so then I checked Microsoft edge and it was up to date so I reset it and still was the same so I was going to run a scan with malwarebytes and it wasn’t popping up it was just a blank sheet of paper and at the bottom it said malwarebytes and I also noticed that the malwarebytes vpn was also missing so I ran a scan to see if I have any messed up errors with the vss software and I seen the same errors as yesterday came back so I ignored it thinking it was normal so I join class and It was all good and then at lunch I got on to play video games and my FPS was dropping bad like from 140 to 30 so I restarted my pc and it was still bad so I just turned off my pc and hoped for the best to see if it magically works the next time I get on it but still all the same so that’s when I thought about the reset 

• Root Admin

Well, instead of these Resets. Perhaps you should consider backing up your data and then formatting the drive and reinstall Windows

This slow down issue is not normal and the Resets you've done don't appear to be helping fix it long term.

• Root Admin
  1. Do you have an external USB hard drive that has enough space to backup your entire computer?
  2. What is the manufacturer name?
  3. What is the model number?
  4. Is this a desktop or laptop?
  5. Approximately how old is the computer?

Posted (edited)

I don’t have a usb hard drive 

Cyberpower pc 

model number PRIME B550-A AC

Cyberpower pc model SLC7600BST

desktop

its at least 5 months old 

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue
  • Root Admin
Posted (edited)

Ah.. I remember now. That is a custom built computer from Motherboard and parts from other vendors, not their own equipment.

Well I would suggest you obtain an external USB hard drive larger than your current hard drive size.

Your current drive looks to be a 1TB drive.

Drive c: (Windows) (Fixed) (Total:930.38 GB) (Free:877.34 GB) NTFS

Windows and your own data are using about 53GB of the drive.

You can get a 1TB USB external drive that only needs power from the USB port (no external power required) for about $50
The following link is only an example not a recommendation

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07CRG7BBH

You need an external USB drive for backing up your data in the first place, but it can also be used to image the current drive with a program like Macrium Reflect so that if something goes wrong you can recover back to the current saved image.

You would also want at lest one 8GB USB Flash Drive (I would recommend having 2 though as it makes things easier) to create a bootable repair disk. The 16GB is actually cheaper than the 8GB.
Again this link below is only an example and not a recommendation

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Flash-Cruzer-Glide-SDCZ60-016G-B35/dp/B007YX9O9O

With those two or three drives on hand you can then safely format your current drive and install Windows 10 from scratch.

If you're able to purchase the hardware and want to do this let me know and I can provide guidance and steps to achieve all of this.

It's quite late for me so I'm heading out again, but let me know and I'll check back on you.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information
  • Root Admin

That's up to you. If you are 100% certain there are NO files, programs, etc that you need you can do it.

There are normally 2 different types of resets.

1. Windows is reset but your data is not deleted

2. The entire hard drive is reset and you loose all data

I'm saying you probably need option #2 but without a backup you'd lose all your own data and documents, etc. thus why I recommend you have a backup drive.