Random file that changed not sure if its malicious

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to download it and run it and it passed but i also forgot to mention that also my startup apps take a while to start and also i get long loading times when opening apps sometimes 

• Root Admin

Well, that is odd. You're running a Western Digital NVMe solid state hard drive this actually pretty fast.

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sn550-nvme-ssd#WDS100T2B0C

Fixed hard disk media  WDC WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0    1000202273280

You might want to consider backing up your data to an external drive. Then formatting the drive and reinstall Windows or if it's a factory computer it might have a built-in restore to factory settings feature which can reinstall for  you.

It's very late for me so I'll check back on you tomorrow but seems odd to be slow on the hardware you have there for a hard drive.

I’ve also done the factory reset before and still got the same results I’m starting to think I might have a bios virus which I know is pretty rare but maybe that’s why the scans don’t pick up a virus or it might be a bios update problem 

• Root Admin

No, there is no known in the wild successful UEFI / BIOS attacks. There was one reported a few years ago from a lab but that was running a firmware BIOS from 2008. If your computer is running a BIOS firmware from 2008 then you have much bigger problems than a virus.

Please try downloading the following tool and run it and post back the results. Take a screenshot and post that back. I'll review it in the morning

SSD Benchmark software AS SSD Benchmark 2.0.7316

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6014-as-ssd-benchmark.html

Here is an example run of a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1TB drive

image.png

• Root Admin

That is a good result. The drive is much faster than a normal SSD and ten times faster than an older mechanical drive so that shouldn't be an issue.

Click on Start and type in "Reliability" and run that app. Check the Red error events to see how often and what's going on and let me know what  you find.