If Avast and Malwarebytes found infections and you have moved them to Quarantine or deleted them, that should leave you infection free. But the subject seems to indicate something else. Not all Remote Access software is considered to be RAT malware. Why are you asking about that. Have you given remote access to your computer in the past?

Hello and Thank you for Answering my query, I was just paranoid for the past few months because my Desktop acquired a various virus and malware. By Remote Access, what do you mean, like TeamViewer? if so yes, to my friend but if its not connected to TeamViewer, I haven't given access  to anyone

Yes, I was referring to something like TeamViewer. Software such as that is often used by fake tech support cybercriminals in an attempt to convince you that your computer is infected while actually gathering information about you and possibly even infecting your computer in the process. I was just wondering if something like that had occurred to cause you to question having a RAT.

A RAT is a Remote Access Trojan. Rarely seen on a Mac these days, it's software disguised as something else that gives remote access to your computer for various malicious reasons. So I was just wondering what caused you to suspect that form of malware. Had any of the infections found by Avast and Malwarebytes been a RAT, then the remote access would have been disabled.

7 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

User says in another topic they are on a Windows computer.

But here they explicitly specified "Macbook Air"

Edit: I see in the other topic they also have a desktop PC.

Edited by alvarnell

Then just to give you a direct answer to what I believe your question to be, there is no known way for a RAT to proliferate from you Windows desktop PC to your MacBook Air, but it is possible for RATs to infect either. It's highly unlikely that the same RAT would run on both platforms and I'm not aware of any that do.

52 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

Yes, I was referring to something like TeamViewer. Software such as that is often used by fake tech support cybercriminals in an attempt to convince you that your computer is infected while actually gathering information about you and possibly even infecting your computer in the process. I was just wondering if something like that had occurred to cause you to question having a RAT.

A RAT is a Remote Access Trojan. Rarely seen on a Mac these days, it's software disguised as something else that gives remote access to your computer for various malicious reasons. So I was just wondering what caused you to suspect that form of malware. Had any of the infections found by Avast and Malwarebytes been a RAT, then the remote access would have been disabled.

So, does this mean tha I should not worry now and focus on my pc? I have been paranoid for the past days but this news gave me relief

If you are seeing some indication of a RAT being used on either platform, the you should focus on that. If you are not seeing something move or turn on/off or launch windows when you aren't causing it, then I don't understand your concern in the first place.

• Thanks 1

My pleasure, and if you do have malware issues with your Mac in the future, don't hesitate to return.

• Like 1