Help! Updates, requiring user action, are killing me (driving me away)

I am a reseller/IT support with many MB Installs. I have used the MB premium product for many years, but I am starting to reconsider this choice. It "seems" that I am seeing updates, requiring user interaction, way more then I used to see. My users cannot do these. And having these constant popup update notification, until I get to them, worries them and makes me look back. And then consider the time for me to hit each of these systems (mostly remotely). Is it just me or is it happening now every couple of months, or even monthly? Is there a work around to stop the "Program" updates but continue the "Definitions" updates, and not require user action?

I search the Forum and this has been discussed a bit, but no solution. There was a mention of unchecking the 2 Lines under "Application Updates" but a comment indicated that this would also stop the Definitions updates. (I am on v4.3.0.98).

Love the product but this is weighing heavy on my decision the maintain the product on my users machines.

Forum users, Malwarebytes developers, what say you? Effective, efficient and silent in the background unless problem detected, that's what I need.

• Staff

Unchecking the two options mentioned will not stop definition updates, however keeping an out of date program version will impact the overall effectiveness of the program as new program versions/builds bring with them new database syntax types that are not readable by older builds of the product (they do not know how to interpret new signature types that they do not understand so they ignore them in order to avoid any sort of errors, bugs, FPs or other unexpected/unpredictable behaviors from the application).

What I generally advise is that users perform regular monthly maintenance on their devices, including updating Windows through Windows Update, updating their applications such as their web browsers and office applications (both to fix bugs and especially to help safeguard against application vulnerabilities which might leave them open to attack by exploits and other threats), and updating their security applications (such as Malwarebytes).

You may disable application updates if you wish, just be advised that in order to have the most effective protection and detection capabilities your users need to be running the latest build of the software.  Application bugs and other issues are also regularly fixed through these updates, so it is generally best to keep the application up to date if possible, however you can perform updates manually if desired by unchecking the options mentioned, then re-enabling them occasionally and manually checking for updates to download and install any available application updates which might have become available (this way you can keep the application up to date for your clients, assuming you are performing regular maintenance on their devices for them).

I hope this helps and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

5 hours ago, bmadams said:

Is it just me or is it happening now every couple of months, or even monthly?

Actual program updates do not happen that often.

5 hours ago, bmadams said:

And having these constant popup update notification, until I get to them, worries them and makes me look back.

I train my users to just follow the prompts on the update notices. I honestly tell them if Malwarebytes told them to get naked and run in the street to do it.

For those who cant handle that, A quick remote takes care of that. I, as the one who sold them the product do not ever charge for Malwarebytes issues or updates.

There are 3 types of updates Malwarebytes receives.

Only the full program update requires user intervention and as I said does not happen that often and not to every user at the same time, they are metered out over time.

The other 2 are component updates that are automatic but "might" require a computer restart. And of course definition updates that are released several times a day.

15 hours ago, exile360 said:

Unchecking the two options mentioned will not stop definition updates

This is good news, but I did read in a previous similar thread that unchecking them will stop the definition updates. You do have a high rating, are you by chance a MB employee?

""""Hearing it from MB, ie the horses mouth (an old saying), would be great.""""

And thanks for the lesson on how to provide IT support. Please do know DOS was the OS flavor when I started using computers and I have ran my own IT company since 2003. So I am well versed in all of the nuances you described. I did not say all that to take away from your expanded help, just wanted you, and others to know, I am approaching this with much experience under my belt. And I would venture to say I have been using MB for at least 10+ years now.

!!!Short reply: If unchecking these 2 boxes under "Application Updates"  puts me more fully in control of the updates, while allowing the Definition Updates to continue, would fix issue.

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

I train my users

Been doing IT, supporting customers literally for 18 years. Let me know how that "train my users" goes. I started accepting reality many years ago and because of that, I accept that when I am hired for IT support, I am solely responsible for their IT support. Yes, I would love for my customer to let me know when their Backup has a warning message on it etc etc But, reality/experience taught me this just ain't gonna happen. Back in the early days I would even fire some customers for being too stupid to realize a warning message IS a message warning of a problem. Or maybe even "lecture" them LOL. But then I realized they pay my mortgage, I stopped trying to "train them" so much and started to look for ways to work more effectively and effortlessly, its my services they are paying for and...time is $$$. Living in reality, controlling only what I can control = So much less stress now.

• Staff
13 hours ago, bmadams said:

This is good news, but I did read in a previous similar thread that unchecking them will stop the definition updates. You do have a high rating, are you by chance a MB employee?

""""Hearing it from MB, ie the horses mouth (an old saying), would be great.""""

And thanks for the lesson on how to provide IT support. Please do know DOS was the OS flavor when I started using computers and I have ran my own IT company since 2003. So I am well versed in all of the nuances you described. I did not say all that to take away from your expanded help, just wanted you, and others to know, I am approaching this with much experience under my belt. And I would venture to say I have been using MB for at least 10+ years now.

!!!Short reply: If unchecking these 2 boxes under "Application Updates"  puts me more fully in control of the updates, while allowing the Definition Updates to continue, would fix issue.

These are public forums so everything posted here is often read, searched out, and referenced by others, so everything I posted was not only for your sake, but also for anyone else who might come across this topic.  I had no way to know what your knowledge, experience level, history, or methods might be so I posted what I did to try and cover as many situations and levels of knowledge and experience as possible.

I am the former Product Manager for all Malwarebytes products, I was their first QA, and I am currently transitioning into a role on the Support team after serving for the past few years as User Advocate here on the forums.  I have been with Malwarebytes since 2010 and helped decide on and design many of the features that still exist in the product today, so yes, I speak with first-hand knowledge when I say that disabling those checkboxes will not disable database updates.  The two options are for program versions only (i.e. installers) and Component Updates (updates for individual DLLs, drivers and similar components), not signature/database updates.

Just please keep in mind what I said regarding signature updates and new database syntax.  Not every new version of Malwarebytes ships with new syntax/detection capabilities, but if you look at the release history published most recently for the various builds/releases of Malwarebytes 4.3 here as well as the various release notes published here, every time anything like Improved detection and remediation. or Enhanced name of protection module or Improved protection. is listed, that is an indicator that either new database syntax which is not backwards compatible has been added or some new capability to one or more of Malwarebytes' protection components was implemented meaning any version prior will lack this improved detection/protection capability and there are likely threats/classifications of threats which older versions of the product will not be capable of detecting and/or removing.

I'm sure you already understood or likely assumed most or all of this, but again, I'm posting this also for anyone who might come across this information in the future.

Edited by exile360