pup optional vlcplusplayer de

Jeji

Hello,

I was just scanning with ADW and got a result for "pup optional vlcplusplayer de"

I feel this might be a False Positive? because looking into the registry key it just linked to the normal VLC program I believe, which I do have installed for years now and have never had ADWcleaner or any other program mark before.

Ive never installed a "VLC Plus Player"

AdwCleaner[C2219].txt

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the AdwCleaner Help forum.
In order to help us assist you to resolve your issue, please post or attach your latest AdwCleaner log files with your post. https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039021593

Someone will reply shortly, but in the meantime here are a few resources which may help resolve your issue:

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

notify me.jpeg

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

mbst_get_started.jpg

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

Hello everyone and sharing with you these two viruses that I deleted from my computer

The story After I was browsing my email, I found a phishing letter talking about paying the ransom
To the account of the owner of this message so that my privacy is not published ....

Of course, I did not like it. I told the author of this message to share what you have in terms of pictures and videos and anything you own .. You stupid fraudster .. I am not frightened by this because I am convinced that you will not find anything threatening me with it ...

Then I decided to check my device and these results, and can I publish his email because it contains roughly the same virus domain .....

AdwCleaner[C00].txt AdwCleaner[C01].txt AdwCleaner[S00].txt AdwCleaner[S01].txt

I got the same false positive, so I installed the newest VLC media player from the official website (h**ps://www.videolan.org/vlc/) in my VirtualBox fresh installed & updated Windows 10 and scan this system with the AdwCleaner 8.1 where it claims the VLC media player to be "PUP.Optional.VLCPlusPlayer.DE" . Also I want to let you know that I use a packetmanager (chocolatey) to install most of my apps/software and use 'uBlock Origin' and a scriptblocker to browse the net. I never installed a "VLC Plus Player".

AdwCleaner[S00].txt

3 hours ago, HMD said:

Hello everyone and sharing with you these two viruses that I deleted from my computer

The story After I was browsing my email, I found a phishing letter talking about paying the ransom
To the account of the owner of this message so that my privacy is not published ....

Of course, I did not like it. I told the author of this message to share what you have in terms of pictures and videos and anything you own .. You stupid fraudster .. I am not frightened by this because I am convinced that you will not find anything threatening me with it ...

Then I decided to check my device and these results, and can I publish his email because it contains roughly the same virus domain .....

I received the same email six months ago. This is spam email. The attacker captured or opened an email account and used it to send you and 1000 others spam in the hope that someone would be scared and pay. In my case, he didn't even have my password, but he claims to have. He said my password was "MyPass" which is obviously wrong. He has photos of my webcam that I don't even own and also recorded the sex websites that I supposedly have been visiting. I laughed about it and deleted it ...

One thing: I wouldn't reply to any of those spam or phishing emails because then he'll know you're still using that email account.

5 hours ago, Alexander101177 said:

I received the same email six months ago. This is spam email. The attacker captured or opened an email account and used it to send you and 1000 others spam in the hope that someone would be scared and pay. In my case, he didn't even have my password, but he claims to have. He said my password was "MyPass" which is obviously wrong. He has photos of my webcam that I don't even own and also recorded the sex websites that I supposedly have been visiting. I laughed about it and deleted it ...

One thing: I wouldn't reply to any of those spam or phishing emails because then he'll know you're still using that email account.

Thank you for your response  Alexander101177

I totally also have the same message
But he certainly doesn't have anything to talk about

1 hour ago, Maleficent_X said:

I got the same result this morning, though the main Malwarebytes didn't find anything. I did 'quarantine' and let it clean it—after rebooting my machine, AdwCleaner hasn't found anything else. But it would be good to know if this is something worth worrying about or not.

AdwCleaner[S05].txt 2.54 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you for your response   Maleficent_X

Good you did

5 hours ago, Alexander101177 said:

You have the right to respond to his mail
But I am sure that my device is protected enough and even this email does not contain sensitive things, so I responded to it with it ... I know that there is no absolute protection in any system, but I am sure that my account is still secure at this moment ...

Hi,

When searching for the legitimate software "VLC Media Player", many users end up on the "vlc.de" page, which is not associated with the VideoLAN non-profit organization... it's only the first google result.  "vlc.de" is a scam site, hosted by AllerMedia! Do not download any software from there :excl:

UBlock origin rightly blocks this site (see attachment).  If you mistakenly download VLC from "vlc.de", your system can get infected with different PUPs like PUP.Optional.Startfenster / PUP.Optional.VLCUpdater / PUP.Optional.GoodGame / PUP.Optional.Updater / PUP.Optional.Qweb or just PUP.Optional.VLCPlusPlayer.

The only official download page for "VLC Media Player" is: http://www.videolan.org/  ❤️

For more information:

https://www.pctipp.ch/news/software/die-tricks-einer-fake-download-seite-2017050.html

Our Malware Removal Team at "Trojaner-Board.de" has been warning against visiting vlc.de for years.

uBlock_origin.jpg

Edited by AdvancedSetup
disabled live hyperlink

Yeah, I downloaded VLC from the Video Lan page back in October. I'd never had any detections for anything else until this morning. Which is why I'm wondering why my system suddenly picked up PUP.Optional.VLCPlusPlayer today, when it didn't pick it up two weeks ago—and I haven't installed anything new since then.

Can anyone else confirm that it's solved for them? I've just run another scan with AdwCleaner and am still getting the same false positive for the same registry keys.
As above, I haven't downloaded any VLC products from anywhere but the official website, haven't downloaded anything lately and have been getting this result for the last couple of days.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

I don't know if this helps anyone - I quarantined the original problem, but I also uninstalled my VLC player. I reinstalled it this morning, again from the VideoLAN website, and AdwCleaner isn't picking anything new up. I also posted about it in the Bleeping Computer forums, and someone asked if the issue had been resolved with the latest AdwCleaner database update.

3 hours ago, S3p1Haze said:

Can anyone else confirm that it's solved for them? I've just run another scan with AdwCleaner and am still getting the same false positive for the same registry keys.
As above, I haven't downloaded any VLC products from anywhere but the official website, haven't downloaded anything lately and have been getting this result for the last couple of days.

Thanks

is not necessarily due to a VLC program
For example, I downloaded some portable programs (without installation) to edit videos, and 2 of them were the reason ... and they were the reason for implanting these files in my device ..

3 minutes ago, S3p1Haze said:

Same thing here - ran another scan this morning that was all clean. I've just run a further scan moments ago and the same registry keys are being detected again. Seems to be going back and forth, detections then no detections, then detections again.

Yes, I noticed that too. As I scanned my system with the AdwCleaner a few hours ago, everything was fine. But when I got informed about your post here, I scanned the system again and the false positives came back. I also uploaded most of the files from the VLC player to Virustotal and let them being scanned again. With the result that no files were objectionable. Reminds me at an on/off relationship with my ex-girlfriend... :lol:

• Thanks 1