Malwarebytes will not scan

I have tried to scan my iMac Pro at least 30 times and I get the same error every time.  It says 100 items scanned and then I get a message oops, something went wrong.  I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it.  I have opened a ticket over 10 days ago and no one from Malwarebytes has responded.  I am running Mojave.  I added all of the Malwarebytes binaries to the Security center, both Accessibility and Full Disk Access and still same error happens.  They want me to send them a zip file that is created from MBT but I am unable to see the data they are getting.  From what I can see its getting a list of all of my launch agents and dameons.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I know that customer support is running about a week behind, partly due to COVID restrictions, but ten days does seem excessive. Posting your support ticket number here will probably help you get it expedited, but they will need that zip file in order to give you any help at all. Not sure why you are unable to see what all it contains. Malwarebytes has a very clear Privacy policy on what information is collected and what is done with it at https://www.malwarebytes.com/privacy/.

I'm not clear on exactly what message you are receiving when it stops. Can you post a screenshot of the dialog back here please.

Not sure what all binaries you added to the Privacy tab, but none need be in Accessibility and according to https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520494 only Catalina and Big Sur require Full Disk Access and only for Malwarebytes Protection. I don't believe this is causing your problem, but still would suggest you remove all binaries from those lists.

I did remove all of them, I only added them after nothing else was working.  Attached is the screenshot.  It always stops at scanning 100 items.  I have tried installing it under a different user. I fully uninstalled Malwarebytes, rebooted, shutdown, and then installed again and still the same issue.  The issue happens every time.  I removed my AV program and still the same issue. I purchased this and its not working.  I guess I will need a refund.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 10.18.22 AM.png

• Staff

The ticket was only opened 6 days ago, actually, and there was a response the next day.

Regarding the information collected by the MBST tool, you can take a look yourself to see what is collected. The password for the file is given to you by the MBST tool, to ensure that it's clear we're not hiding anything:

1906568478_ScreenShot2021-03-03at10_52_36AM.png.04964b5365d67babf7c75cdb93508d79.png

This is necessary because, in some cases, there may be malicious files inside, which will cause a zip file that is not encrypted to be blocked by many e-mail servers.

Edited by treed

• Staff

Within the unzipped MWB_Info folder, the non-negotiable items for this particular problem would be:

Library/Application Support/Malwarebytes/
Users/yourusername/Documents/mwb-support-tool/
Users/yourusername/Library/Logs/

However, some of the other information collected can also provide clues to figuring out the root cause of the problem.

Can you provide more details about what specific information is contained in that data that you are concerned about?

The data contains IP addresses to other systems, names of local admins, all of the launch Agents and daemons, the full syslog.  I will attach the sanitized data and respond to that message.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to get this working.

So I guess we are still trying to figure this one out.  I sent in the files to Malwarebytes support and they got back to be really quick this time.  I disabled and removed the few apps they said that might be blocking it, Little Snitch and TrendMicro, and the issue still occurred. It always stops at 99-100 files scanned.  I tested this on a different Mac on the same network and the issue did not occur.  So it is something with this Mac.  I hope we are able to get this resolved.  I will post any future updates.