I have a virus or malware on my phone even factory reset has not helped

• Staff
14 minutes ago, Flaws39 said:

Also I deleted  opera beta and mini and only have 1 opera now.like I said that report  I sent you was before I had factory reset my phone .

This is what I did before factory reset I backed the phone up to the laptop  using the Samsung smart switch 

Then factory reset

Then reinstalled the back up.and after around 8 hours the pop ups were back all the browser data was backed up so that is maybe why the issue came back after the factory reset .possibly the issues was hiding in the cookies idk 

So did a bit of reading and heard its possible the pop ups may be from website notifications and maybe I accidentally pressed accept instead of decline.those site notifications are very annoying 

So I then went to clear all the browser cashe, cookies and data in the acually opera browser. Then I went to the phone settings then to apps found opera then cleared the cashe and data there also.

Then I did that for yahoo mail.

So far I've not had the pop ups come back yet.i want to give it 5 days if still no pop up I'm probably got and then I can make a new back up to my laptop.

Okay good.  My next step would have been this:

Clearing your history and cache within the browser.  In addition, clearing the Storage & Cache within the browser itself also helps:

1. Go to Settings > App Info
  2. Go to your browser app icon in App info list (Opera in your case) and click on it
  3. Once in your browser’s App info, go to Storage & cache
    1. Click Clear Storage
    2. Click Clear cache

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I'm using a really good old version of yahoo mail.i downloaded it from another source around 1 year ago it's been no issue and malwarebytes found no issues with the 2 apps,The same goes for opera I cant use the new version on the play store as its buggy and slow.so I downloaded the old version from a legit source over a year ago.and never had issues.if I had to guess what was causing  the pop up I would say it maybe from a website notification that I may have accidentally accepted.as there pretty fiddly to click the no button.but since deleting all the data for opera and Yahoo its seem ok at the moment 

• Staff
1 minute ago, Flaws39 said:

Because I'm using a really good old version of yahoo mail.i downloaded it from another source around 1 year ago it's been no issue and malwarebytes found no issues with the 2 apps,The same goes for opera I cant use the new version on the play store as its buggy and slow.so I downloaded the old version from a legit source over a year ago.and never had issues.if I had to guess what was causing  the pop up I would say it maybe from a website notification that I may have accidentally accepted.as there pretty fiddly to click the no button.but since deleting all the data for opera and Yahoo its seem ok at the moment 

Okay.  Probably just legitimately asking for updates then.  Hopefully clearing their cache/storage will stop them from asking.  They are both "clean", so nothing to worry about there.

Nathan

4 minutes ago, mbam_mtbr said:

Okay good.  My next step would have been this:

Clearing your history and cache within the browser.  In addition, clearing the Storage & Cache within the browser itself also helps:

1. Go to Settings > App Info
  2. Go to your browser app icon in App info list (Opera in your case) and click on it
  3. Once in your browser’s App info, go to Storage & cache
    1. Click Clear Storage
    2. Click Clear cache

This is what I did yesterday for opera and for Yahoo mail 

So far so good fingers crossed. What does the new  report I just sent tell you?should I put the micro sd back in and send the report with it installed?I was not sure 

1 minute ago, mbam_mtbr said:

Okay.  Probably just legitimately asking for updates then.  Hopefully clearing their cache/storage will stop them from asking.  They are both "clean", so nothing to worry about there.

Nathan

I dont think there legitimate asking as I've been using these 2 apps for years and never had that pop up.also the pop up is different every time.if it was legit it would not look totally different imo.o just think it's from website notifications and a scam.so when that update pop up show up if I had thought it was legit and clicked update it would have installed malware imo.but I knew the pop ups were bogus and i dont like to update my apps as i have them perfect

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Flaws39 said:

This is what I did yesterday for opera and for Yahoo mail 

So far so good fingers crossed. What does the new  report I just sent tell you?should I put the micro sd back in and send the report with it installed?I was not sure 

The micro SD may be holding downloaded APKs, but once installed they are on the native storage.  Pretty much the same installed apps from before since you re-installed them from backup.  No need to send another report.

Nathan

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Flaws39 said:

I dont think there legitimate asking as I've been using these 2 apps for years and never had that pop up.also the pop up is different every time.if it was legit it would not look totally different imo.o just think it's from website notifications and a scam.so when that update pop up show up if I had thought it was legit and clicked update it would have installed malware imo.but I knew the pop ups were bogus and i dont like to update my apps as i have them perfect

Certainly not out of the realm of possibly.  Regardless, if it was truly browser related pop ups then clearing the cache/storage should do the trick.

Nathan

2 minutes ago, mbam_mtbr said:

The micro SD may be holding downloaded APKs, but once installed they are on the native storage.  Pretty much the same installed apps from before since you re-installed them from backup.  No need to send another report.

Nathan

Thanks buddy you been a great help so far.if I can go for 5 days without the update pop ups  reappearing then I'm probably in the clear.then I'll back the phone up again .if the problem returns I'll come back to this thread 

Did the latest report i sent you look  clean?

Last question some anti malware apps on the play store give what I'm assuming  are false positives saying a bunch of normal safe apps are trojan horses .but malwarebytes says they are clean.and malwarebytes is legit these random malware scanners on the play store are probably malicious anyway

• Staff
1 hour ago, Flaws39 said:

Thanks buddy you been a great help so far.if I can go for 5 days without the update pop ups  reappearing then I'm probably in the clear.then I'll back the phone up again .if the problem returns I'll come back to this thread 

Did the latest report i sent you look  clean?

Last question some anti malware apps on the play store give what I'm assuming  are false positives saying a bunch of normal safe apps are trojan horses .but malwarebytes says they are clean.and malwarebytes is legit these random malware scanners on the play store are probably malicious anyway

Yes, the last report was clean.  And yes, there are a lot of bogus malware scanners that aren't really doing anything.  They usually just flag apps with various permissions as "suspicious".  Thus, they aren't really doing anything malicious themselves.  They pretty much make their many from in-app ads.

Nathan

13 minutes ago, mbam_mtbr said:

Yes, the last report was clean.  And yes, there are a lot of bogus malware scanners that aren't really doing anything.  They usually just flag apps with various permissions as "suspicious".  Thus, they aren't really doing anything malicious themselves.  They pretty much make their many from in-app ads.

Nathan

Thank you you have been a great help.

• Thanks 1

Opera  was not even open I was on the home screen and this pop up comes up.ive just run malwarebytes and again it says the phones is clean .I'm starting to get worried that this virus is inside the phone and can not be removed or found.i beg one of the experts help me get this out of my note 9

So its throwing 2 styles of pop ups at me this red and white one and the plain white one. All notifications are blocked.in the browser setting and the phone setting.i have all apps on my phone set to not update.

This is freaking me out guys how has this virus got into my phone and stayed after factory reset and why wont malwarebytes find it?

6 minutes ago, mbam_mtbr said:

Hi @Flaws39,

Let's try uninstalling all versions of Opera completely.  If it's still occurring, we'll know it's something else.

Nathan

I've only got one opera on my phone and 1 yahoomail just remove opera ?how long for as it's the app I use most on my phone  to be honest cheers

Just now, mbam_mtbr said:

Hi @Flaws39,

Have you tried Brave Browser? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brave.browser

Maybe try that for a couple of days, and see what happens with the pop ups.

Nathan

Yeah tried it dont like it .I'll use the build  in Samsung browser for  a couple days.what virus do you think is in my phone and why do you think its surviving a factory reset and malwarebytes cant find it?

4 minutes ago, mbam_mtbr said:

Hi @Flaws39,

I don't think there's any virus.  I think your Opera app is seriously asking you to update.  We'll be able to tell if that's the case or not once it is uninstalled.

Nathan

https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/20096-update-for-today-com-pop-up-scam-android

This is the issue I have I think it's called update pop up malware?

And lastly if the app is legit telling me to update why are the massive pop ups on my home screen?and why are the pop ups  different each time.one time its white and another time its red and blue and white and a totally different shape and size.llus I have all notifications blocked I'm so confused 

• Staff
42 minutes ago, Flaws39 said:

https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/20096-update-for-today-com-pop-up-scam-android

This is the issue I have I think it's called update pop up malware?

That is browser related ads.  Which can be resolved with this method:

Clearing your history and cache within the browser.  In addition, clearing the Storage & Cache within the browser itself also helps:

1. Go to Settings > App Info
  2. Go to your browser app icon in App info list (Opera in your case) and click on it
  3. Once in your browser’s App info, go to Storage & cache
    1. Click Clear Storage
    2. Click Clear cache

If this is not the case, then there has to be an app on your mobile device causing this to occur.  The obvious starting point would be Opera.  If it's still occurring after uninstalling, then we know we need to look at other apps.  But after checking each app one by one, I did not find anything else that could be causing this.  Because you re-installed all apps from before the factory reset, then the app that is causing this is still on your mobile device.

Nathan