I have a virus or malware on my phone even factory reset has not helped

Hi guys I've been getting a large pop up on my home screen randomly telling me to update opera mobile and now it's doing it on yahoo mail a massive banner saying update here.

Here is a screen shot of the update pop up that looks like a virus malwarebytes  says my phone is clean

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/j6JU6Fq" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/j6JU6Fq"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried an apl called sequrity  antivirus max cleaner and it said most of my apps were trojan horses  for instance bx actions was flagged as trojan horse by max cleaner.so I deleted bx actions.then scanned again using Mazda cleaner then it said I had dangerous files so it clean them.but I think that app is a scam..why would malwarebytes not find any of these trojan horses?malwarebytes says its clean.anyway I sent report I'm preying you guys can  find what's causing these install update pop ups onto my phone. 

My ticket number is 3388662

This has been happening ever since I have been using yt1s.com in the mobile opera browser to convert  YouTube vids to mp3 then download them to the phone .I dont know if that caused the pop ups .anyway guys I really hope you can get back to me and help me stop these important update pop ups 

So my galaxy Note is getting important update pop ups on the home screen from opera and from yahoo mail.etc 

I backed up to Samsung cloud and to my laptop .factory reset restored  and the pop ups are back malwarebytes says phone is clean

Here are a few screen shots I didnt take a screen shot of the yahoo mail update pop up but it's pretty much the same as these opera ones

Screenshot_20210228-101527_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20210228-105056_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210228-103510_Malwarebytes.jpg

Thin since I cleared the cashe  and browsing data  on the browser and in the  app settings and did the same with yahoo mail.the pop up  has not come back yet.but I bet it comes back tommrow .

• Staff

Hi @Flaws39,

No malware found.

However, it appears you have three different versions of Opera installed and one Yahoo Mail:

com.opera.browser.beta      Opera beta      Google Play 
com.opera.mini.native      Opera Mini      Unknown 
com.opera.browser      Opera      Unknown 
com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail      Yahoo Mail      Unknown 

As you can see, two of the Opera browsers and the Yahoo Mail app are from Unknown sources which could mean they were installed from third party app stores.  Therefore, they will not automatically update on their own like apps on Google PLAY.  Thus, these pop ups could legitimately be asking you to update.  Just in case, I would manually uninstall these apps from Unknown sources and either re-install from Google PLAY or leave uninstalled as you really only need one version of Opera.  If these pop-ups continue after doing this, let us know.

Nathan

1 hour ago, mbam_mtbr said:

Hi @Flaws39,

No malware found.

However, it appears you have three different versions of Opera installed and one Yahoo Mail:

com.opera.browser.beta      Opera beta      Google Play 
com.opera.mini.native      Opera Mini      Unknown 
com.opera.browser      Opera      Unknown 
com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail      Yahoo Mail      Unknown 

As you can see, two of the Opera browsers and the Yahoo Mail app are from Unknown sources which could mean they were installed from third party app stores.  Therefore, they will not automatically update on their own like apps on Google PLAY.  Thus, these pop ups could legitimately be asking you to update.  Just in case, I would manually uninstall these apps from Unknown sources and either re-install from Google PLAY or leave uninstalled as you really only need one version of Opera.  If these pop-ups continue after doing this, let us know.

Nathan

That report I sent was before I factory reset the phone I need to send you a new report?

Also I deleted  opera beta and mini and only have 1 opera now.like I said that report  I sent you was before I had factory reset my phone .

This is what I did before factory reset I backed the phone up to the laptop  using the Samsung smart switch 

Then factory reset

Then reinstalled the back up.and after around 8 hours the pop ups were back all the browser data was backed up so that is maybe why the issue came back after the factory reset .possibly the issues was hiding in the cookies idk 

So did a bit of reading and heard its possible the pop ups may be from website notifications and maybe I accidentally pressed accept instead of decline.those site notifications are very annoying 

So I then went to clear all the browser cashe, cookies and data in the acually opera browser. Then I went to the phone settings then to apps found opera then cleared the cashe and data there also.

Then I did that for yahoo mail.

So far I've not had the pop ups come back yet.i want to give it 5 days if still no pop up I'm probably got and then I can make a new back up to my laptop.

4 minutes ago, mbam_mtbr said:

@Flaws39,

Yes, a new report would be helpful.  I would still see if those apps are on the phone first though.

Nathan

I deleted the opera beta and the opera mini. As there is no need for all of those to be on the phone.opera was on my micro sd card.i just removed the sd card and send you a new report without the sd card installed 

I'm assuming removing the microns card then sending the report was correct.last report I sent you before I had factory reset I left the card in the phone

My ticket number is 3391105