Mbamswissarmy.sys Boot Loop

• Root Admin

Yes, I've been able to upgrade quite a few system to Windows 10 for free. If you upgrade over the top it should go without a hitch, but then you bring all the old junk and registry issues over to the new system. Myself I prefer a format and install Windows fresh. Normally you can just input your COA Windows license into it and it will register but once in a blue moon it doesn't seem to work.

There are articles on how to do the upgrade either way online.

As for the trackers, not sure, that article was from today I believe so it apparently is new news.

I always work locally, I don't share any data with anyone, I don't use on a phone so KeePass has been great for me for about 15 years now. Others often use it differently than I do though and want other options and features which KeePass does not have.

So, if you're going to upgrade to Windows 10 then I'd say keep Malwarebytes off for now. If you're not then we can run our own MBST tool to do a clean removal and reinstall.

Let me know

Yeah, I'd like to upgrade. You raise a good point about a fresh install. Unless I wanted to buy a license (since I don't have the disc), I'd need to reinstall 8.1 and upgrade from there, right? All I see on MS is an ISO. I don't have a drive or disc media currently. It's all at work. I'd only be able to do it tonight with a USB option. 

• Root Admin

Yeah, I was actually using that Zdnet article to start with. So basically upgrade from 8.1 using that article and then use the tenforums link to reinstall using a USB? I actually have a USB made for it already. Before I got help here, I made one thinking I had 10 on this machine and I was attempting to use it for recovery. 

• Root Admin

Backup Software
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/136226-backup-software

Macrium Reflect discussion
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/264011-backup-files-software-which-one-to-choose-2020/?tab=comments#comment-1408188

The Free version of Macrium Reflect is typically more than enough for most users.

I'm a bit confused. You use the term UPGRADE.  That to me entails keeping all your current data and upgrading Window 8 to Window 10
FRESH install entails FORMATTING the drive thus losing ALL data that is not backed up. (see below about creating an image which would contain all your data and windows as it currently is)

STEP 1
Create a full disk image of your current C: drive that contains Windows and your data.

STEP 2
Build a bootable thumb drive from the latest Windows 10 ISO downloads using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool

Then it depends on what type of installation you want to do. Fresh means you have to reinstall ALL applications (but you have a much faster, clean, secure installation)

• Root Admin

You can use a blank brand new hard drive to do the install and it will still take your Window 8.1 license key and validate the install for every one I've done.

Thus, for me the better choice is to backup all your data. Then build the USB bootable disk. Then boot from it, choose Advanced Install option and when there tell it to delete the partitions and install clean.

• Root Admin

Disassembled the external. It was an old WD MyBook with an IDE connector inside. I have an IDE/SATA to USB connector somewhere around here. I'll try hooking it up tomorrow afternoon and see if I can't get this thing rolling. I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it goes. 

No, I have installed nothing other than Chrome. I wanted to hear from you first in case you needed something run. So when I do my installs, do you recommend Ninite? I used to use it for all my first install stuff, but as we've established, I've been living in 2014-2015 software-wise.